Rear subframe plates

deadmark8

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Well i have a bad case of eye strain from looking for the posts i know are out there about these things. i will post what mine look like later tonight but for now i would like some advice/ideas.

the drivers side 15mm bolt will not come out the 2 13mm came out fine. besides torching the bolt head off any ideas on how i can get it out.
and where does that bolt screw into? is it the thin plate right above the bolt?

or if some one else can find those posts and link them that'd be ok too.

Thanks

i dont think they were helping much...

P1010231.jpg

Last edited:
Prepare for battle.

You need a 1-1/2" hole saw. Drill/saw a hole in the side of the body rail just above the mounting point. Have it so the bottom of the hole is like 1/8" above the bottom of the rail where the bushing mount is.

There is a nut captured inside the body rail that the long bolt screws into. Using a lot of penetrating fluid and possibly a blue wrench along with a HD impact wrench you may possibly remove the bolt. Most likely, the nut will break loose and begin to spin. If it does, you will need a wrench on the nut to continue.

On one of mine, once the bolt was unthreaded from the nut, the bolt would still not pull out of the bushing. My only resort was to physically destroy the bushing to remove the entire mount and replace it with a new kit.

Once repairs are complete, you can either weld the slugs back in the holes or get snap plugs used for conduit openings and install them and afterwards use a body sealer to seal the plug and follow up with spray undercoating.

those take the cake for the worst ones i ever saw!! i have a 97 in my shop it might have a pair of nice ones on it, i havent been under the car yet.

i snagged a rust free pair from a junkyard in NC when i was there for a year. got a few extra pieces for marks too can never have too many extras laying around...lol.

thanks ill try that hole saw idea when i get time, but for now i am driving my wrangler around.

hehehe i feel sorry for anyone who stops fast in front of me with that thing, they will be eating structural I-Beam man its fun

What exactly do they do besides a bit of stiffening?

I couldn't notice ANY difference when I replaced my rotten ones with new OEM ones.

Mine looked as bad if not worse than the above pictured units - so they obviously did nothing to stiffen before replacement.

pull a part in charlotte royal PITA to get off w/o air...at least the 15mm's are. im sure i can get a part number if i make it to where my car is the draivers side is only in with the 2 13mm's ATM, or im sure someone else may have a set that are not mounted in a car that can get them easier.

I've dropped 3 rear kframes here in rusty MN, all three spun 2 out of the 4 nuts in the frame... but because they were parts care I just torched em.

Members online

No members online now.
Back