"Ray's switch".. the legend continues !!

Chicken

They are relays, but what kind of relays, after spending numerous hours lastnight trying to figure out this design. I've come to the conclusion that these are latching relays or Ray wired them in a fashion so that they would remain in an open position.

A latching relay is essentially just a relay that when triggered will remain in that state until another trigger is sent to it, to remove it from that state.

The reason this is needed is because the kit is designed to cut power to the air ride control module and also create an open in the message center wire, so that you don't get the "air ride switch off" message. From there, the timer relay sends a negative signal to all of the solenoids, which opens them and bleeds all the air from the system.

When you press the switch the other way, then the relay is triggered back to close the circuit for power to the control module and reconnect the message center wire. This powers the system and it airs itself back up.

Honestly, it's not all that complex of a design, It just took some reading from Kale's documentation that helped me understand it.

The only problem I'm having, is finding a DPDT (double-pole double-throw) latching relay for a 12 Volt application, at a reasonable price.

A person can build a latching relay design using a 4 SPDT relays and some diodes, but that would be a lot of work and Ray figured out a way to do it without doing so. I am curious to get some info on the wiring of those relays if Devil would be willing to remove the tape and take some pictures.

This way we could get some manufacturer info off the relays and get a schematic of how the relays are wired.

im glad to see someone out there knows what they are doing....

all i know is that i pressed a button and the car would drop... usually would take 2 or 3 times to get the rear to drop all the way, due to lack of weight in the rear

maybe we could figure a way to get the solenoid to open for longer so that it would only take 1 press of the button

or even figure a way to utilize 2 buttons.. 1 for the front, and 1 for the rear..

and a way to only open the solenoid as the button is pressed.. so you could decide how low exactly you want the front and rear.. independantly

The "Barney Mobile" should be represented at Carlise this coming June. A close friend has offered to do all the mechanical and body work, including paint, and have it ready for June. We will keep "Barney" in the family.
RAYS FAMILY ROCKS!!!!

I think you tried to get back with me, but I couldn't' get to the phone and the number was unavail. - thanks for posting!! John (one of Rays brothers) said he would let you know that I called and we were asking for permission.

ooohhhh hey, Rays daddy got skillzzzzzzzz, he will be on here looking for info. on Barneys intricacies (who knows why Ray tricked out on him)!!!!! Where do you think Ray got it from, lol ....if I recall from my last visit....there is one beautiful hot rod (Chevy?) in Daddys garage!!!! if there is anything anyone here can do to help get Barney to Carlise this year- all ya gotta do is post!

God bless and Smooches!
MsM8 (Debi)

The timer relay controls the amount of time it takes for the car to lower, if 90 seconds isn't enough time, then we would either have to figure out how to extend the time or we could do a manual control.

The manual control wouldn't be too bad to wire, a switch for the fronts and a switch for the rears.

It would have to be one or the other though, have the timer relay and the manual switch would be possible but would be a lot of work.

Chicken

They are relays, but what kind of relays, after spending numerous hours lastnight trying to figure out this design. I've come to the conclusion that these are latching relays or Ray wired them in a fashion so that they would remain in an open position.

i think they are 2, 5-wire relays as used in lots of fords, and one feeds the other with all the solenoids wired in series. and wasn't kale's design a 4 switch setup?
i had mine open when i got he used all the same size wire, then he decided the wire was too small on 2 of the wires so he sent out a "recall kit" (as i called it) so mine was fully untaped

Chicken

What I'm looking for is the stampings on the relays so that I can cross them. I think the easiest way would be for me to get my hands on a kit. Then I can physically see it for myself.

Chicken

What I'm looking for is the stampings on the relays so that I can cross them. I think the easiest way would be for me to get my hands on a kit. Then I can physically see it for myself.

well if it wasn't raining outside (at least it ain't snow, shut up pepperman) i would go out and peal the tape off of mine for ya

Well guys, if everything goes well, you may not have to. I've found a kit and should be getting my hands on it sometime soon. Once in my hands, it shouldn't take long to get the wiring diagram drawn up for it. I'd be willing to replicate these kits if parts are readily available. I'll see if I can match Ray's price but that will depend on the cost of the supplies. I might have a connection for getting the DEI pulse timers at cost, but I will have to check on that.

I will keep you all informed

well after talking in the chat last night and finding out about this switch, i'm in for one if someone can produce it. maybe everyone who buys one, can toss in an extra donation towards ray's family to help with all costs and everything. a death in the family can be very expensive, maybe we could start a little donation to each switch sold, just a thought?

well after talking in the chat last night and finding out about this switch, i'm in for one if someone can produce it. maybe everyone who buys one, can toss in an extra donation towards ray's family to help with all costs and everything. a death in the family can be very expensive, maybe we could start a little donation to each switch sold, just a thought?

That thought had crossed my mind as well. We should take a poll and see what everyone else thinks, I'm sure everyone would agree that it was a good idea.

That thought had crossed my mind as well. We should take a poll and see what everyone else thinks, I'm sure everyone would agree that it was a good idea.

Since devilchild is the one who started this thread he would have to be the one who can insert a poll into the thread. I also agree it is a good idea.

Ok guys

I have a little update, I have talked to my supplier for the DEI Pulse timers, he's calling tomorrow for pricing but he believes the cost will be around $15 each. I told him to price them in quantities of ten. I've also found an internet supplier that would put the cost at $117.04 for ten, that includes shipping costs.

Once I get a kit and get a schematic drawn up, I'll get the rest of the pricing together. So far, it looks pretty promising for meeting Ray's cost.

I will keep you all informed.

Last edited:
Ray's switch:

I'm writing to all who wants to keep Ray's switch moving forward. First of all, our family would like to thank everyone for the thoughtful flower arrangements at his funeral. Also thanks to those who attended, and for all of the posts on the board. Now, lets move on. I have found 10 relays, 1 DEI 528T timer, 10 wire plugs, 5 rocker switches, and I think a short schematics for making the switchs. If someone would like to give me a call at 412-571-9233, I will do what ever you guys want me do with this material. I also found a complete wiring kit made up, but it has 3 switches on it instead of 1 switch. Also, after reading some of the postings, we, Ray's family don't want you guys to collect more money and send to us. If you collect more than what Ray charged for the switches, please give to someone in the club that doesn't have enough money to make one of the clubs meets or just put in a kitty for the club. My wife and I will be okay. Again, Thanks again. Ray's dad, Ray, Sr.

I work for an electronics distributor, Heilind Electronics www.heilind.com some of the companies that we are franchised for is Omron, Aromat (Panasonic), Deltrol Controls, Fujitsu, Hamlin, Tyco, and many others. If there is anything I can do to help further the cause please let me know.

Thanks Old

I've been looking at the omron and aromat relays, once I get the kit and figure out what I need, I'll let you know.

Everyone, I just got off the phone with Ray Sr., we discussed the items that he had been able to gather up. He has offered to send me the items he found so that we can keep the kits moving and doing what Ray would have wanted. The kit that he mentioned above, was not for me that I'm aware of, but has agreed to send it to me. So that we can get a schematic drawn up to work from.

As always, I will keep you all posted on the progress.

It took a bit of rummaging through the pile of parts in the garage, but I have found a complete switch kit I received from Ray. I had planned to install it on the '96 but like a 1001 other things, it just never got to the top of the list.

If this would help the effort any, I'd be more than willing to donate it to the project. Just send me a PM or email. :)

driller

I appreciate it but for right now, hold on to it. If we need it, I'll let you know.

Also, I appreciate all the willingness from everyone on the forum to help in any way they can. I may call on some of you to if I have any questions but I hope everything goes smoothly and that we can get the Ray Switch back into production soon.

Thanks

This is the first I have heard about Ray passing, my deepest condolences to the family. I have talked to Ray over the phone many times and I had one of his kits installed in my Mark VIII. He was truly a good man and kind at heart. May he RIP

A death in the Mark VIII Family is as hard as a death in my own family..
Count me in on continuing his Unique Switch moving forward...
I was in the process of buying a coil spring conversion, but I will Order a "Ray Switch" when finished, and keep the air ride in my 94 Mark VIII....Just for you Ray & Family!!!

My Deepest Prayers go out to you all

A loss of a Mark VIII is one thing, A loss of a Mark VIII owner is Absolutely Devastating:(

I've just found out that Ray had taken the switch from The Barneymobile and gave to someone who needed a switch, so I will need one also.

Members online

No members online now.
Back