Question regarding high mileage for 4.6 DOHC ???

bhickmott

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I'm wondering how long these 4.6 DOHC motors typically last without major mechanical problems ? Have any of you guys experienced these engines going 150,000 miles or more ?

Bill

Hi Guys

I'm wondering how long these 4.6 DOHC motors typically last without major mechanical problems ? Have any of you guys experienced these engines going 150,000 miles or more ?

Bill

Hell some of them make it that far without a spark plug change.
My 95 made it to 360,000 miles before it chunked a pad off the cam chain tensioner, but it still ran for many miles in that condition.

200-300K is not uncommon.

Hi Guys

Bill

I got 292K on mine with no problems except for the customary timing chain rattle upon startup. Still running super strong and getting 24mpg on a daily basis with no oil leaks or consumption. Knock on wood.

There is quite a few people with 200k+ on their cars at this point. I like my 69k mile one myself. :)

I have 207,xxx on mine and i the first time i had to change the spark plugs and two coils was 4 thousand miles ago. My engine is still very strong. there is no oil consumption. but my valve cover gaskets are starting to leak. other than that shes in very good shape.

sold mine runnin like a champ, sippin on gas and rippin ricers with 296k

Last edited:
There is quite a few people with 200k+ on their cars at this point. I like my 69k mile one myself. :)

yea well some of us "enjoy" actually DRIVING the cars...ALOT.
rather than having them sit around collecting dust like black cars do.
*LMAO*

The engine is still fine at 150k.
If taken care of, the engine will give you another 100k, easily.

Other components, like the steering and suspension will need attention though.

I have 174k on my 97. The valve cover were leaking so while I had them off I decided to change the timing chain tensioners. I did have the lifter/tappet knock going but I did a transmission fluid engine flush (1/2 oil, 1/2 tranny fluid, run 30-45 min, do oil change). No more knocking, running great.

Like everybody else said. You take care of it and it will last very long. Mine's at 106k and it's been beat on pretty good. Other than timing chains and tensioners there is really nothing else to worry about.

168k no probs, had a leaky pan, and oil filter adapter gasket leak but that was fixed a year or so ago (common problems)

I too have the rattling timing belt when I start the car. I need to change to a thicker oil. I've got 97,700 & my God is this the best engine I've ever had. I love the car. As of last week it became my everyday driver. My truck's leaking oil from a valve cover & the temperature guage on it stopped working so the Mark VIII has now stepped up to the plate until I fix the truck. If my financial situation doesn't force the sale of this car, I plan on keeping it for the next decade MINIMUM!

Mines got 137,000 miles and its running strong like a champ, its currently got a leaky rusted oil pan, but im replacing it soon other than that its great.

113K, problems:

Very slight timing chain rattle on start-up.

Rusty oil pan.

Leaking oil filter adapter gasket.

Leaking spark plug well seal(s)

94 is close to 200K with no issues at all. Its my road trip car since it gets 31 mpg on the HWY.

My 97 has almost 160K with no issues, and with all the mods still gets 24MPG on the HWY.

Uh... Not just the garage, chicken. Parts are all over the house - front bumper cover has been in the lounge for three months! :lol:

It'll get better before it gets worse... I think! Lol.

Members online

Back