Question about p0453 on 01 LS V8

I am hoping the fuel pump did not get a good seal when it got put back in. I don't see any fuel leaking around the lines. I am thinking it's just leaking when the tank is really full. I am gonna talk to a neighbor where I am at right now they work on cars so hopefully they can work something out for me.

I've had to work on this fuel pump extensively ...first and formost make sure the O ring gasket is properly seated before screwing on the blue ring...is this the original fuel pump assembly module?
Nope it's not, it's an aftermarket fuel pump I was planning to get a OEM one to have for a standby part once I get paid next month. This one was aftermarket in the car and I was able to exchange it under the warranty from the old owner so it did not cost me anything at least. I am not the one who sealed it back so there is a good chance the seal did not get placed correctly. I ordered the motorcraft seal today at autozone in case they need a new seal for it so I am keeping my fingers crossed. It's one of the Spectra pumps that is in it now and I am not sure if they are good or not but it was free so no loss there at least if the pump goes bad. I also want to find a new oem unit for the drivers side but that is hard to find it seems.

Nope it's not, it's an aftermarket fuel pump I was planning to get a OEM one to have for a standby part once I get paid next month. This one was aftermarket in the car and I was able to exchange it under the warranty from the old owner so it did not cost me anything at least. I am not the one who sealed it back so there is a good chance the seal did not get placed correctly. I ordered the motorcraft seal today at autozone in case they need a new seal for it so I am keeping my fingers crossed. It's one of the Spectra pumps that is in it now and I am not sure if they are good or not but it was free so no loss there atleast if the pump goes bad.
Spectra is a great assembly module I had a Spectra in my last Lincoln and it impressed me beyond belief not saying one and the next are the same just not true in life but if I was a betting man I would say the ppl who put the ring on didn't get a tight seal and they didn't get it tight enough .... Pray they didn't cross thread

Spectra is a great assembly module I had a Spectra in my last Lincoln and it impressed me beyond belief not saying one and the next are the same just not true in life but if I was a betting man I would say the ppl who put the ring on didn't get a tight seal and they didn't get it tight enough .... Pray they didn't cross thread
It was not down all the way and was cross threaded but they said it did not damage the threads cause it was not forced down. So hopefully they are correct and that is all it was!
Edit:
I spoke to the mechanic again and he said that the gasket for the lid is not there and the guy I had install it is pretty sure he put the gasket on. But I do have a question if the gasket somehow managed to fall into the gas tank would the gas have disintegrated the gasket?

Last edited:
I just went ahead and bought a new lock ring that came with the gasket. The person at autozone tried to say there was no such part but I found it this morning on their site and they will have it in by 3 today. I would rather go ahead and get the new lock ring being the other did cross thread.

It was not down all the way and was cross threaded but they said it did not damage the threads cause it was not forced down. So hopefully they are correct and that is all it was!
Edit:
I spoke to the mechanic again and he said that the gasket for the lid is not there and the guy I had install it is pretty sure he put the gasket on. But I do have a question if the gasket somehow managed to fall into the gas tank would the gas have disintegrated the gasket?
I don't think it would be able to dissolve rubber that quickly but you may want to look down in the tank it could've slipped off ...likely... but if you weren't present watching the guy perform this task who knows what happened ... He may have forgotten the gasket in his haste... I would wear a mask of some sort those gasoline fumes are toxic ...anywho...whatever the case might be, even if the gasket is in the tank and the tank is full... I truly believe, depending on the gasket of course ( MotorCraft drops right to the bottom I watched it with my own eyes) it should sink to bottom of tank and not cause any harm...but then again it depends on which gasket was on the fuel pump assembly module ( Spectra ) or ( MotorCraft ) the MotorCraft gasket is 100% better quality thicker and heavier and if my memory serves me correctly I believe it's green in color...I threw the Spectra gasket away and used my existing MotorCraft gasket ...I think you can buy them on Rockauto, Ebay and even Amazon ...I suggest if you don't have a MotorCraft Gasket you buy one... as far as closing the ring properly and seating the ring in the proper place it's better to use someone to help you and have one person hold down the cover while you screw the ring on properly ... Just be happy your connectors aren't broke like mine were ... I must admit whenever I had to close up my Module ring I would have my wife press down on the module so I wouldn't cross thread the ring when sealing the system up properly ... I brought her to Red Lobster after battling that damn system she deserved it that's for sure ...I battled that system for about 8 months and finally fixed it after another great member on LVC sent me an extra OEM connector from California...(Thanks Again Heyjewel!) The guy was a life saver...because the day it arrived in the mail my car wouldn't start...I put the OEM connector on with a bit of modifying and the car was good as new again ... After a year trying to modify that fuel system with different hoses and connectors I found it was designed to perform only one way ...OEM and only OEM the connectors are specific and nothing else will work..If you have any other questions about this Module let me know

It would be the wrong choice of materials for a gasket on the gas tank if gasoline could dissolve it. Either it's sitting in the tank, or it was never put on.

Those rings are very easy to cross thread. Take your time with it, even if it takes half an hour to get it started correctly. Forced down or not, cross threading does damage it to where it shouldn't be used.

It would be the wrong choice of materials for a gasket on the gas tank if gasoline could dissolve it. Either it's sitting in the tank, or it was never put on.

Those rings are very easy to cross thread. Take your time with it, even if it takes half an hour to get it started correctly. Forced down or not, cross threading does damage it to where it shouldn't be used.
I don't think it would be able to dissolve rubber that quickly but you may want to look down in the tank it could've slipped off ...likely... but if you weren't present watching the guy perform this task who knows what happened ... He may have forgotten the gasket in his haste... I would wear a mask of some sort those gasoline fumes are toxic ...anywho...whatever the case might be, even if the gasket is in the tank and the tank is full... I truly believe, depending on the gasket of course ( MotorCraft drops right to the bottom I watched it with my own eyes) it should sink to bottom of tank and not cause any harm...but then again it depends on which gasket was on the fuel pump assembly module ( Spectra ) or ( MotorCraft ) the MotorCraft gasket is 100% better quality thicker and heavier and if my memory serves me correctly I believe it's green in color...I threw the Spectra gasket away and used my existing MotorCraft gasket ...I think you can buy them on Rockauto, Ebay and even Amazon ...I suggest if you don't have a MotorCraft Gasket you buy one... as far as closing the ring properly and seating the ring in the proper place it's better to use someone to help you and have one person hold down the cover while you screw the ring on properly ... Just be happy your connectors aren't broke like mine were ... I must admit whenever I had to close up my Module ring I would have my wife press down on the module so I wouldn't cross thread the ring when sealing the system up properly ... I brought her to Red Lobster after battling that damn system she deserved it that's for sure ...I battled that system for about 8 months and finally fixed it after another great member on LVC sent me an extra OEM connector from California...(Thanks Again Heyjewel!) The guy was a life saver...because the day it arrived in the mail my car wouldn't start...I put the OEM connector on with a bit of modifying and the car was good as new again ... After a year trying to modify that fuel system with different hoses and connectors I found it was designed to perform only one way ...OEM and only OEM the connectors are specific and nothing else will work..If you have any other questions about this Module let me know
All I could get today was https://www.autozone.com/fuel-deliv...l-tank-lock-ring/383937_0_0?&searchText=LO172
It is obviously the spectra one but didn't have so much choice where I am at right now. I am sure it should seal up with the gasket that comes with it. I tired to call some junk yards around here and the people were rude as crap and didn't want to sell me a ring or even a fuel pump which the claimed they had... So I was limited on choices cause I need my car safe to drive today. And the gasket that came with my Spectra pump was black not green so maybe this one is more like the motorcraft one hopefully.

All I could get today was https://www.autozone.com/fuel-deliv...l-tank-lock-ring/383937_0_0?&searchText=LO172
It is obviously the spectra one but didn't have so much choice where I am at right now. I am sure it should seal up with the gasket that comes with it. I tired to call some junk yards around here and the people were rude as crap and didn't want to sell me a ring or even a fuel pump which the claimed they had... So I was limited on choices cause I need my car safe to drive today. And the gasket that came with my Spectra pump was black not green so maybe this one is more like the motorcraft one hopefully.
After looking at the Autozone website Link ...The green gasket in the picture looks more OEM than the one I recieved with the Fuel Pump assembly module ...I got the black one also...sometimes pictures can be deceiving (this is true when purchasing COPs ...there pictures show the Coil Over Plug all black but they come multi-color) they could've upgraded there design since their sales have proven to stay steady ...I know that the Spectra was $79.00 dollars compared to almost $350 for MotorCraft ...so when I ordered it I was preparing myself for the worst ...but to my surprise the Module and pump went through hell and high water...I see Carter is another brand out on the aftermarket but I heard bad things with this module so I stayed away...even if you get the black Spectra Gasket it will be fine just make sure you're seating the module on the new gasket perfectly and threading the ring without cross-threading it...I always find to it's best to thread opposite direction first until you see the ring is level with threads ...and then slowing start going in clockwise direction paying attention to the feel of the ring ...ring should not be hard to turn on for at least the first complete 3-4 turns...(Hint) Never had to use lubrication but I saw others on the forum say a bit of Lube helps with tightening down ring...there is a special tool for this ring ...I always thread it on getting it nice and tight... I then would use a chisel and hammer to bring it to conclusion

After looking at the Autozone website Link ...The green gasket in the picture looks more OEM than the one I recieved with the Fuel Pump assembly module ...I got the black one also...sometimes pictures can be deceiving (this is true when purchasing COPs ...there pictures show the Coil Over Plug all black but they come multi-color) they could've upgraded there design since their sales have proven to stay steady ...I know that the Spectra was $79.00 dollars compared to almost $350 for MotorCraft ...so when I ordered it I was preparing myself for the worst ...but to my surprise the Module and pump went through hell and high water...I see Carter is another brand out on the aftermarket but I heard bad things with this module so I stayed away...even if you get the black Spectra Gasket it will be fine just make sure you're seating the module on the new gasket perfectly and threading the ring without cross-threading it...I always find to it's best to thread opposite direction first until you see the ring is level with threads ...and then slowing start going in clockwise direction paying attention to the feel of the ring ...ring should not be hard to turn on for at least the first complete 3-4 turns...(Hint) Never had to use lubrication but I saw others on the forum say a bit of Lube helps with tightening down ring...there is a special tool for this ring ...I always thread it on getting it nice and tight... I then would use a chisel and hammer to bring it to conclusion
I have the special tool back at home..... and I am out of town but I am having a mechanic change the lock ring for me so I am sure they will seat it correctly.

Had the alternator and battery tested at advance auto and they said all was good so hopefully it was due to the ground being a bit lose. I also picked up the lock ring and seal today and the gasket it's green just like the motorcraft one. So I will be getting that put on in the AM.

Last edited:
That lock ring did not work from autozone! Some how it was the wrong one... But the mechanic used the new gasket and the old lock ring and the leak has stopped. So my old ring was not damaged at least so that's a good thing to say the least. I am gonna try to find a jack soon to get the rear wheel off so I can look for the Fuel tank pressure sensor. I am thinking the access point to it is up in the wheel well area.

My best guess (and it is just a guess) is that the sensor is part of the emissions canister. It looks like you have to drop the rear subframe to get to it. Hope I am wrong.
Edit: I am wrong.

Never mind. I found it.
s6x~us~en~file=n0035042.gif~gen~ref.gif

The connector for the pressure sensor is #1 above.

Unfortunately, this is even worse as you have to drop the fuel tank.

That lock ring did not work from autozone! Some how it was the wrong one... But the mechanic used the new gasket and the old lock ring and the leak has stopped. So my old ring was not damaged at least so that's a good thing to say the least. I am gonna try to find a jack soon to get the rear wheel off so I can look for the Fuel tank pressure sensor. I am thinking the access point to it is up in the wheel well area.
Good to hear you could reuse the ring ...Are you still getting P0453 code?

Good to hear you could reuse the ring ...Are you still getting P0453 code?
Yes and the fuel pressure stayed exactly the same so I am kinda screwed in a sense. I will sell the car before I pay to drop the gas tank.

Oh crap really?

So the manual says. Maybe the transmission guy wasn't so crazy. I wonder if you could cut out a few access holes under the seat to get to it, then rivet some plates back over them?

So the manual says. Maybe the transmission guy wasn't so crazy. I wonder if you could cut out a few access holes under the seat to get to it, then rivet some plates back over them?
Maybe I would sure hope so. I will have to talk to my one mechanic when I get back home and see what he can do. But I will most likely not pay to drop the gas tank, I mean what else could go wrong with this car and being it is a 2001 it does not have a lot of value to begin with. Kinda a bit depressing to say the very least. I mean FFS on a Mercedes you can change that part easily.... and on most cars as well. Why in the hell would they put a part like that in such a place to where you would have to drop the gas tank. Might be the time to invest in another car. But one question if Emissions are not part of inspections where I live should I just ignore it or what?

Last edited:
Yes and the fuel pressure stayed exactly the same so I am kinda screwed in a sense. I will sell the car before I pay to drop the gas tank.
I think Joe’s idea makes a lot of sense I would drill out a section so you can get to the sensor ...you have to get creative with the cutting tool because you don’t want any sparks to ignite the gas ...other wise a grinder would be perfect to cut right through the metal or even a reciprocating saw with the torch blade would go through like a hot knife through butter ...but again this could be dangerous

I think Joe’s idea makes a lot of sense I would drill out a section so you can get to the sensor ...you have to get creative with the cutting tool because you don’t want any sparks to ignite the gas ...other wise a grinder would be perfect to cut right threw the metal or even a reciprocating saw with the torch blade would go threw like a hot knife through butter ...but again this could be dangerous
That is what I will try for sure my mechanic is a fabricator as well so I have no worries about him doing that safely. I just hate having the CEL light on. I never ignore the codes on my cars I always sort the problems so they don't cause harm to other components in my car.

That is what I will try for sure my mechanic is a fabricator as well so I have no worries about him doing that safely. I just hate having the CEL light on. I never ignore the codes on my cars I always sort the problems so they don't cause harm to other components in my car.
I know what you mean ...this is something you can tackle ...it happened for a reason ...at least you know that the module is properly seated now...by the way did you try erasing the code by disconnection of battery cable ...It may actually r set your fuel readings to factory setting now that the tank is sealed properly ...it won’t hurt nothing and if it comes back you’ll know you need to replace

I know what you mean ...this is something you can tackle ...it happened for a reason ...at least you know that the module is properly seated now...by the way did you try erasing the code by disconnection of battery cable ...It may actually r set your fuel readings to factory setting now that the tank is sealed properly ...it won’t hurt nothing and if it comes back you’ll know you need to replace
I am using a code reader to reset the codes so I would not need to disconnect the battery. I clear the code and it immediately comes right back as pending and by the 2nd or 3rd time I crank the car it goes to an active code not pending anymore. I have even reset all adaptations on the car so it would have to go through the learning process all over again and that did not help either.

Last edited:
So that sensor is on the drivers side of the car correct or am I looking at that diagram backwards ?
Yes, that's the way it looks to me too (driver's side).
I wonder if you can see any of it from the fuel pump access? Maybe with borescope? You can get one for for $20 or less.

Members online

Back