Paint job quote !?!?!?!

Chadly

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So today I go to one of the 2 places in this town that does body work. Get a quote for the 97. I get the old "due to economic down fall and the crazy EPA regs here in CA its not gonna be cheap." So I'm like ok, come take a look at it and let me know.

$3500-$4000 (if it didnt need to be stripped first.) :eek:

But since the clear coat needs stripped-
$5000-$6000, plus any body work that needs done. Plus they cant do the bumpers there, have to send them off to some company and thats gonna be another $250 per bumper. :eek:

I told the guy to have a nice day.

That sounds about right. All except for the place that couldnt do bumpers, I would steer clear of them. Expect to pay $3000-5000 for a decent paintjob, especually since yours is black. If you could take the doors apart, lights out, bumpers off, mouldings off, etc, you would save a TON of money though.

yeah that sounds about right to get a car done the right way... it costs a lot usually around 3500 for a decent job 5000 for a good job. Then there are variables too.

come down here to virginia beach, ill paint it for 2500! dupont chromabase bc/cc. get here on friday, painted on sat and your on your way hoome sunday am!!

If you start a thread and post some pics, I'm sure you can turn up some work on this forum.

I think it would be cheaper to fly Jamie to CA, give him room and board, buy all the supplies, and give him $1k cash for the work. ;)

The hard part is finding a place\equiptment to do it, and making sure the neighbors dont turn you in to the EPA. The fines can be pretty substantial.

So today I go to one of the 2 places in this town that does body work. Get a quote for the 97. I get the old "due to economic down fall and the crazy EPA regs here in CA its not gonna be cheap." So I'm like ok, come take a look at it and let me know.

$3500-$4000 (if it didnt need to be stripped first.) :eek:

But since the clear coat needs stripped-
$5000-$6000, plus any body work that needs done. Plus they cant do the bumpers there, have to send them off to some company and thats gonna be another $250 per bumper. :eek:

I told the guy to have a nice day.

That sounds pretty high to me. Where did you get quotes from? I got my car painted last summer for 1,500 including door jambs. did not include engine bay. I have three stage pearl white. for thirty five hundreeed, I could get a house of kolors candy paint job. I live on the west side of chicao by the way

chad i'd fly there in a heart beat and paint it but i'd never be able to take the time off to do it lol! i was alread offered a flight out there for dinner with a bunch of mark VIII peeps over there, room and board and a blend door replacement but i cant do it. it would be fun though!

If you do a lot of the prep work wouldn't the quote be a lot lower?

Reading this...Jamie you could make a killing flying around the country fixing/painting marks. That'd be the dopest job ever, the traveling body repair paint/mechanical mark viii wonder

Reading this...Jamie you could make a killing flying around the country fixing/painting marks. That'd be the dopest job ever, the traveling body repair paint/mechanical mark viii wonder

That job would be ok for a single man without responsibilities. Sounds like more hassle than it's worth.

I just helped a friend with a 2001 Cobra - he had used a silicone wax so the paint and primer had to be stripped to bare metal, well bare gelcoat and plastic- the silicone penetrated all the way through the thin OEM paint and just fish-eyed the primer. Only took the two of a us a weekend - we took our time- removed all the lenses, trim, rubber, both bumpers, mirrors, door locks, etc. Saved him $2000 (cost him $300 in chemical stripper, paint brushes gloves, goggles and masks) and the over all job will look better and should last longer.

I was looking over mine before paint and saw the rubber around the quarter windows is deteriorating. Is this attached to the glass or seperate?

yeah 15 years ago i would have done it, but not now, i dont think my wife and 2 kids would like it very much, and honestly i wouldnt either, painting sucks, and working on marks is getting too old for me, i've pretty much reached my limit with these cars, time for change.

Members online

No members online now.
Back