Paint job quote !?!?!?!

Chadly

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So today I go to one of the 2 places in this town that does body work. Get a quote for the 97. I get the old "due to economic down fall and the crazy EPA regs here in CA its not gonna be cheap." So I'm like ok, come take a look at it and let me know.

$3500-$4000 (if it didnt need to be stripped first.) :eek:

But since the clear coat needs stripped-
$5000-$6000, plus any body work that needs done. Plus they cant do the bumpers there, have to send them off to some company and thats gonna be another $250 per bumper. :eek:

I told the guy to have a nice day.

That sounds about right. All except for the place that couldnt do bumpers, I would steer clear of them. Expect to pay $3000-5000 for a decent paintjob, especually since yours is black. If you could take the doors apart, lights out, bumpers off, mouldings off, etc, you would save a TON of money though.

yeah that sounds about right to get a car done the right way... it costs a lot usually around 3500 for a decent job 5000 for a good job. Then there are variables too.

come down here to virginia beach, ill paint it for 2500! dupont chromabase bc/cc. get here on friday, painted on sat and your on your way hoome sunday am!!

If you start a thread and post some pics, I'm sure you can turn up some work on this forum.

I think it would be cheaper to fly Jamie to CA, give him room and board, buy all the supplies, and give him $1k cash for the work. ;)

The hard part is finding a place\equiptment to do it, and making sure the neighbors dont turn you in to the EPA. The fines can be pretty substantial.

So today I go to one of the 2 places in this town that does body work. Get a quote for the 97. I get the old "due to economic down fall and the crazy EPA regs here in CA its not gonna be cheap." So I'm like ok, come take a look at it and let me know.

$3500-$4000 (if it didnt need to be stripped first.) :eek:

But since the clear coat needs stripped-
$5000-$6000, plus any body work that needs done. Plus they cant do the bumpers there, have to send them off to some company and thats gonna be another $250 per bumper. :eek:

I told the guy to have a nice day.

That sounds pretty high to me. Where did you get quotes from? I got my car painted last summer for 1,500 including door jambs. did not include engine bay. I have three stage pearl white. for thirty five hundreeed, I could get a house of kolors candy paint job. I live on the west side of chicao by the way

chad i'd fly there in a heart beat and paint it but i'd never be able to take the time off to do it lol! i was alread offered a flight out there for dinner with a bunch of mark VIII peeps over there, room and board and a blend door replacement but i cant do it. it would be fun though!

If you do a lot of the prep work wouldn't the quote be a lot lower?

Reading this...Jamie you could make a killing flying around the country fixing/painting marks. That'd be the dopest job ever, the traveling body repair paint/mechanical mark viii wonder

Reading this...Jamie you could make a killing flying around the country fixing/painting marks. That'd be the dopest job ever, the traveling body repair paint/mechanical mark viii wonder

That job would be ok for a single man without responsibilities. Sounds like more hassle than it's worth.

I just helped a friend with a 2001 Cobra - he had used a silicone wax so the paint and primer had to be stripped to bare metal, well bare gelcoat and plastic- the silicone penetrated all the way through the thin OEM paint and just fish-eyed the primer. Only took the two of a us a weekend - we took our time- removed all the lenses, trim, rubber, both bumpers, mirrors, door locks, etc. Saved him $2000 (cost him $300 in chemical stripper, paint brushes gloves, goggles and masks) and the over all job will look better and should last longer.

I was looking over mine before paint and saw the rubber around the quarter windows is deteriorating. Is this attached to the glass or seperate?

yeah 15 years ago i would have done it, but not now, i dont think my wife and 2 kids would like it very much, and honestly i wouldnt either, painting sucks, and working on marks is getting too old for me, i've pretty much reached my limit with these cars, time for change.

Members online

Back