Own a dog? What kind? (BIG pics inside)

Sorry to hear about Baron. Its sad that things like that have to happen.
She sure looks like shes havin fun! My parents hate it when our dogs dig holes through the earth! They tend to bring back little Chinese guys. lol

It was a difficult time when I had to put Baron down.
This cancer came on him rapidly, with no advance warning.
Two months before, the vet discovered it, he underwent a routien xray, and there was nothing
Two months later, his lungs had so many tumors on them that it was hard for the vet to actually see the lungs.
We don't know what caused it.
Any way, I mourned for a couple of months then one of my friends suggested I take a trip to the local shelter.
I did, but wasn't quite ready to adopt.
Baron was still very much on my mind.
The day I visited the shelter, Elsa was looking extremely lonely, and even tough I left the shelter that day, alone, I thought about her for the next week.
Finally I went back and adopted her.
She is definetely a digger, but only in her sandbox, and the sandbox in the park that we go too every night.
Bob.

Nice dogs! I bet they keep ya busy! Lol.

We've got a Shetland Sheepdog. (often refered to as 'Shelties')

Edit for extra info: His name is Sam and he'll be 2 in April.

tod3.jpg

Looks more like a collie.

He's basically (like) a miniature Collie, Glorywagon. He's about 28 lbs.

wow,sorry to hear about your dog,bob. It really is tough to have to put one down,me and my family just cried and cried when we had to put Lincoln down.
I got so upset,i just hopped on my bicycle and rode and rode,would up riding something like 12 miles.
Dog is truly,mans best friend.

It has been a while since Baron left, and I feel I am truly blessed to have another Shepherd that I have grown to love every bit as much as Baron.
As I stated above, it was a shock to see he had been so afflicted, so quickly.
As with most things I do in life, his death was planned well in advance.
When he was a year old, I had made arraingements with the vet, that when the time came to put him down, the vet would put him down where he was around familia surroundings, and not some cold examining table in a vet's hospital.
At this point, I need to go back just a little so one gets a better understanding of how this came about.
We had a ritual here, that being every morning I would take a cup of coffee and Baron and I would head out to the front yard where I would sit and see what was going on in the neighborhood.
Baron would walk around and once in a while bark at a passing neighbor.
When time to get back to the house, he would usually be the first one in the house, always running ten paces in front of me.
One morning I headed back to the house, and he was not running in front of me.
I turned to see where he was, and he was 20 feet behind me, laying down in the middle of the driveway.
I rushed over too him and it appeared he was very lathargic, and very tired.
I got him to his feet, and he slowly made it back to the house.
I called the vet, and brought him in immediately.
Before this incident, Baron had developed a cough, and both the vet and I felt it was "kennel cough".
He had developed a scratching routien of his belley.
He did not have fleas so a skin allergy was suspected.
On that day when he stopped in the driveway, once at the vet, he was xrayed, and that is when the vet found the cancer.
Apparently the scratching and coughing were direct symptoms of the lung cancer.
I took him home and watched him closely for a week.
The vet had made an appointment with an ornacologist and before we could see him, I knew it was time to put him down.
As I said, I monitored him very closely that week, and when it was time, I called the vet.
Talk about a stressing time, this was one of the hadest things I ever did in my life.
Baron had a restless night, and I decided that morning (also my birthday) that I would not let this beautiful , caring friend suffer one minute longer than was necessary.
While waiting for the vet to show up at the house, I let Baron out on the rear deck.
He had recovered from the restless night, and was now barking and jumping, trying to get at a squirell which he always did when on the deck.
I had built the raised deck around a large black walnut tree, and squirells called it home.
Chasing them was Baron's favorite pastime.
Seeing him so active gave me second thoughts, and the thought went through my mind, "Oh God, am I doing the right thing, he will be dead in less than an hour".
He looked so happy.
Then I told myself "no", it has to be done.
"I love him too much to let him suffer."
The vet showed up with a couple of his staff members, and I motioned for Baron to lay down on the carpet in front of the fireplace, which was his favorite spot to nap during the day.
He had been trained to obey signs.
I put his head on my lap and patted his head, telling him it was time to sleep.
He went within seconds of being injected .
The one thing I will always hold near to me is the fact that he died at home, laying close to the one that loved him the most.
That was a very difficult day to say the leaste.
He died in January, and that December, the vet hospital holds an evening christmas party every year , strickly for those clients who have lost a pet over the year.
The large tree in the lobby is decorated with pictures of everyone's pet.
We get to talk about our beloved pets, and it was a great outlet,especially foir those who lost a pet close to the event.
Time heels all wounds, and life goes on.
Elsa came into my life, and she gets all the love and attention one could ask for.
She was seven when I adopted her.
I could have adopted a much younger Shepherd that was in the cage next too her, but I felt no one would adopt an older dog, and the shelter told me a bit of her history, as much as they knew, and her's in her earlier life, was one of abuse.
I decided then and there, she would have the best life I could possibly give her, for however many years she has left.
Unlike Baron, she needs constant attention when out in the yard, and our nightly walks in the park.
For most of her time outside, she is digging and playing in the large sand box I built for her.
It is in an enclosed, fenced in area in the back yard.
She is extremely agressive with other dogs, and doesn't want to be friends with them, she wants to kill.
It has cost me a few hundred bucks for emergency service for two small dogs she mauled.
Both maulings were when she was off leash when she should not have been..
I watch her, and our surroundings whenever we are in the park.
Not a day goes by when I don't thing about Baron.
His ashes are in an oak container, sitting on the fireplace harth.
That was his spot.
Having both these beautiful Shepherds in my life is truly a gift from God, and I am very, very blessed.
Bob.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow,what a loving story.
It seems like you and Baron really had a great relationship together,although a dog to some,but to others a real family member.
Daisy Mae is my dog,i love her to death! It just really blows that i can't have her here at college 4 hours from home. When i went home a last weekend she was more excited to see me than the rest of my family...it was late when i got home so i went to bed. The rest of the family went to bed earlier.
That morning I was awakened to the sound of Daisy running through the kitchen door,her paws running across the wooden floor and i looked over just in time to catch her in mid-air about to land on my head!
She was very excited to see me,it was alot of fun to be with her that day and to play with her in the yard.
When i let her outside she went to the Lincoln as to ask,"are we going for a ride?!" I had just woken up and wasn't ready for any kind of motor skills. So i had breakfast with her.
Now i know there might be some people out there saying that this all is a strange,but i really love my dog. (except for the mess she made when she tore up my down comforter) i was ticked.
So theres a little bit of my story with Daisy.
This is the Anything Goes thread about dogs,so post on! Tell us about your dog stories.

Pretty sad story except the mauling parts lol. I feel your pain, we had to put my Rottweiler named Bones down over the winter this year. It just sucks.

Old english (Bosco 2 yrs old) and a regular (Diddy 1 year old). Next ones gonna be a Dogo Argentina strictly for hunting purposes.

100_0021.JPG

deb-girls-doc4.jpg

wow..looks like Dr.Evil and Mini-me. lol nice looking dogs man. specially them white ones

Such a scary dog ( Dogo's ).....

dogo_argentino_2.jpg

But yet looks so inocent as a pup,...lol!

dogo_argentino_puppy_h02.jpg

I seen one in real life with a Cane Corso at work and it looked even more sinister. Very obedient dogs the both of them and very alert of everything that went on in the store and around the owner. Just stared the entire time like they were in a trance,... VERY,.. VERY protective dogs!

I've never heard of the Dogo's until i saw it on this thread...those have got to be some of THE MOST BEAUTIFUL dogs i've ever seen.
Amazing how obedient dogs can be...just takes time and lots-o-love,and attention,discipline,so on and so forth....lol
Glanga,thats def. one fat Jack!

Yeah he is. Used to be a good hunting dog but now hes a good....dog

I want one of these guys one day, a Rhodesian Ridgeback
rhodesian_ridgeback.jpg

Rhodesian_Ridgeback_600.jpg

Dogo's are a neat breed, 10% a born def. But they are a excellent family dog and hunting dog. They are prized for their boar hunting, most ranches claim a 120 pound dogo is capable of taking down a 300 pound healthy boar by it self. They are also use for taking down mountain lions and puma's. They hunt by winding, they won't follow directly on a scent trail, they will stay down wind of it and circle the boar. If I ever get lucky enough to get one im gonna train it for tracking deer, and seeing michigan changed it laws for tracking a downed deer with dogs, it would let me sell the dogs services for tracking wounded deer. I don't codone the type of boar hunting they are use for, dogs track and hold the pigs down and the hunter walks up and stabs the pig to death. Heres a link to a texas dogo breader/ranch.
http://www.huntingdogos.com/hunting.asp

Be careful about that family dog part. This is one Dog I would not recommend to families with small children unless they are raised very well from pups( of course, any dog can be a good dog;) ). Those and Cane Corsos do have a pretty bad reputation around kids from what I gather especially in the origins they originated from. If you hear stuff about Chows and Sharpes being nasty dogs around kids.....:eek: .....

The guy I spoke to that came into our store with that pair was a body builder that claimed he did nothing special or even the slightest bit extra to get those dogs to be so obedient and protective.

I wish they had all white Dobies:rolleyes: that weren't actually albinos that would be scary!

This is my lil baby, a boxer, well not so little anymore. She is 4 and weighs 65lbs.
bella1.JPG
bella2.JPG
bella3.JPG

The greatest puppy alive, boxers are such great dogs.

bella1.JPG

bella2.JPG

bella3.JPG

Shepherd is Abby, Pit/Boxer mix is Marley, Doberman is Sasha.

100_3006.jpg

the one on the left is a 3 year old Presa Canario named Jack, the other one is a Pitbull named Johnnie, he's 9. They get along extremely well for not being neutered. Also have 2 cats, but the sight of them might make some puke...

P1010029.jpg

It was just too soon.
Monday, April 13th, I had to say good-bye to Elsa.
Her hip Dysplasia grew worse extremely fast.
She had been handeling everything nicely, with no adverse effects regarding her hips.
I limited her walks in the park ,and she was doing well.
Sunday the 12th, she spent the day in the back yard while I did some work on the deck.
She was very active playing in her sand box.
Looking at her, one would never guess she had a problem with her hips.
Sunday night, when it came time to take her out to do her duty, she had difficulty getting up, and once up, her rear legs just gave out.
She couldn't stand on her own.
I had a vet appointment scheduled for the morning and she wasn't experiencing any pain so, I gave her one of her sedatives and she slep through the night.
That morning she could rise from a laying position but, again she could not stand.
I called the vet and asked him to come to the house.
He was there in half an hour,and his opinion was the same as mine, that being, Elsa would never have the use of her rear legs again
As with Baron, she laid on the carpet with her head in my lap, and passed very quickly once injected.
Once again, the house is very empty.
The picture below was taken from my video monitor which monitors the property.
We had just returned from a ride.
Next to digging in her sand box, riding shotgun was her next favorite activity.
The picture is of poor quality but it is still one of my favorites.
She loved that truck.

elsaridingshotgun.jpg

Bob.

Such a sad story. I know what its like to lose a companion and I feel your pain.

Heres 3 of them, Porter is the boxer, Chucky the cocker, Roscoe the austrailian shepard/coyote mix.

pic004.jpg

Cocheese, old english bulldog
pic007-1.jpg

Red, pit bull
pic009-1.jpg

pic013.jpg

Our dog club, too many to name
pic003.jpg

heres a few of my dogs i have a chow, yorkshier terrior, lab/basset mix, and my short hair

wow man! yall have alot of dogs! they all look good!!
Mr. Bob,sorry to hear about your loss man. I know that has to hurt. I feel bad for ya. I really like that piucture of her, looks like she has her arm hanging out the window,jus chillin'. lol Once again,sorry for your loss.

I just want to say thanks for all who expressed their condolences to me.
Elsa's life was full of love and excitement as soon as I adopted her.
As I stated earlier, she loved riding, and in the picture above, that is how she liked to ride, with her head out the window, and her leg resting on the door.
It was a riot watching her sitting in the truck.
She would sit just like a person, letting her back rest on the seat back, and putting that right leg on the top of the door, and her head out the window.
I will miss our rides for sure.
Again, thank you for your interest.
Bob.

I'm sorry for your loss Bob. I lost my first Golden Retriever to cancer and then a 1 year old pup to a freak accident the next summer so I can definitely relate to your pain.

Members online

No members online now.
Back