one week without a smoke

BAD97LSC

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
im goingon a week without smoking a cigarette. i'm sick of paying for them and sick of how they make me, my car, my clothes all stink and i just plain had enough. been smoking 14 years and got up to 2 packs a day, and just stopped last week. the first few days didnt bother me at all but now specially today i am ready to kill anyone or anything thats walks near me. my wife is mad and left with the kids to go to the store just because i am being a dick. i cannot help it, she tried to quit and went 2 days without one, i'm still going but now it is really bugging me. this sucks lol i wish it was easier.

It sucks....wait untill you start dreaming about smoking.

If I can quit anyone can....you just got to want to bad enough.

Good luck...you can do it

good job it is one of the hardest things i have ever tried to do and i still have not quit. I am going to the doctor tomorrow to try to get that new pill called chantix i have heard people had good results with it. But sounds like you are pretty much there just have to stick with it. good luck.

Stay out of stressful activities at all costs. Good luck man.

it is 1000x harder with a spouse or housemate that smokes. You'll have better luck to do it together. Things get a lot better after you are able to kick that habit.

I smoked for 10 years and have quit a couple times. I consider myself a non-smoker now.... but I do have a cig or two on a night out drinking.

Quitting today! Cold Turkey gooble gooble kicking a smoking habit is worse than kicking a heroin addiction! Good luck as i want to quit so since seeing this post i will quit as well see how long i last

keep it up. i quit last fall after 33 years of smoking. at first i just cut down and started smoking ultra light cigarettes. then came the day i finally didn't buy any. if you ever fail, just get back at it. sooner or later you'll do without.

i quit after escalating to a 25 pack of cigareetes and half a pack of captain black filter cigars. was starting to feel it in my chest. you'll want to quit before it goes this far.
good luck.
almost forgot. i was chewing nicorette at my cut down time, and chewed through my abstinence. helps keep your sanity.

took me a year to fully quit, but that was because i didn't have my mind dedicated until last fall when i said no more.

Cograds on your first week.
I smoked 2 packs a day for thirty five years.
One day (16 years ago, I lit up after a meal, and got these terrible pains in my chest, and upper back.
I put the cig out, threw the rest of the pack in the trash, and the rest is history.
What I found by talking an listening to others, one think you need to do is cut out, or cut back on things you do while smoking, ie, telephone, driving, going to bars, drinking at home, or at friends houses.
All of these things I just memtioned trigger the need for a cig.
I know for sure if I had not quit when I did, I would not be here writing this post.
I would have been dead years ago.
Good luck.
It is a hard thing too do, especially cold turkey like I did.
I substituted hard candy for cigarettes the first year, and after that I didn't need either.
I started feeling better physically, the first week.
That terrible morning cough stopped a few days after quitting.
So now, here I am,many years since I held a cig between my lips, and the smell of cigarettes anoys the hell out of me.
I can't stand the smell of tobaco.
If I am in traffic, and the person in the car next to me is puffing away, I have to put my windows up.
The smell is terrible.
If you want a real eye opener, and a good reason to quit (other than the price of cigs), just sit back and watch someone who smokes.
Don't say anything, just watch.
That has to be the most stupid thing any human being could do to him, or herself.
It is disgusting.
Again, good luck, and stick with it
It ain't easy, but one day you will laugh at the people you see with a butt hanging out of their mouth.
I am a true believer that the alternative to not quitting is an early death.

Congratulations!!
You have already accomplished two things. 1) You have refused to light that cigarette. 2) You have shown yourself that you can resist the urge to light up over a period of time.
There are two addictions that smokers must overcome: 1) is the physical addiction. This is when you for no reason, other than the body craving it you want light up. I believe that this is the easiest of the two to beat. 2) is the psycholgical addiction. This monster is the one that rears its ugliness when you get into a stressfull situation where you just gotta have a cigarette. This one also comes into play subconciously when your hands are doing nothing and you light up for no reason at all.

If really want to quit, you can be successful. The desire to quit must come from the heart and not just from the mind.

If you can quit on your own, good for you. If you need help, get it. Still good for you. There is no shame in asking for help.

Don't give up! Stay strong!

Take it one day at a time. Today is the day you need to fight the urge. Don't worry about tomorrow until you wake up tomorrow.

Good luck to you in your fight against the evil nicotine demon.

From my Oxford Universal Dictionary on historic principals, third edition, published 1955:
Nicotine (with references dating back to 1819)_ A poisonous alkaloid forming the essential principal of tobacco, from which it is obtained as an oily liquid.

Jacques Nicot imported and introduced the tobacco plant to France in 1560. It is believed the plant originated in America.

Tobacco has been a problem for a very long time!!

I smoke cigars but have never felt addicted.... hell I haven't smoked one for 2 weeks due to not wanting to spend the $$'s!

I havn't totally quit yet,
But Chantex helped me cut out 1 pack a day.
For the last 3 months I'm smoking only 5 cigs a day
with no disire to smoke more then that.

when i quit, i walked around for the first couple days with half a pack in my pocket, i figured if i could resist this nothing could stop me. wife tried to quit she lasted a few days then she started smoking the ones from my pack. i never lit up again, 8 years later she finally quit and shes been done for a year and a half!

keep at it jamie its all mental at this point, just remember in reality what is a smoke gonna fix? it doesnt make the problem thats stressing you out go away.

keep it going you got it down man!

My dad smoked for 28 years, one day in April of 1991 he learned he had lung cancer, that day was he had his last cigarette. But the damage was already done after the doctor removed half of his lungs he had a huge painful scar and everything exhausted him. In late 2001 he got a bad case of pneumonia and that was the last time I ever got to talk to my dad. Fluid filled his lungs so they collapsed and stopped his heart for 6 min, now there is a body in my step mom’s house that resembles my father but I know he isn’t here anymore.

So remember you might be pissed off at the guy behind the parts counter, but just remember things could always be worse. Keep at it man, I'm sure you have somebody who wants you around forever.

It sucks....wait untill you start dreaming about smoking.

If I can quit anyone can....you just got to want to bad enough.

Good luck...you can do it

Nothing more needs to be said ....

You have to want to bad enough and then you have to do it. It's not easy and I wish you well.

Everyday you spend not smoking is more days of life ... Good Luck ...

Remember you can't even have one ... once you give in you'll be back at it full bore ... Stay strong ....

Replace old activities that you use to do smoking with something else. It's a lot about breaking habits as much at the addiction...

Replace old activities that you use to do smoking with something else. It's a lot about breaking habits as much at the addiction...

Working on cars and being a smoker is hard... Jamie knows what I mean. You do something on the car... Have a smoke. Spray some PB Blaster to free up some bolts... Have a smoke while waiting, etc. Too many opportunities to slip back!

Good luck Jamie! Would like to quit myself someday, just don't have the will power / motivation yet.

A new hobby or the need to save $$ for a project, etc may help some.

stop the praising everyone i already bought 2 packs since i posted this, but, i am limiting myself to 10 smokes from the time i wake up, to the time i go to bed, thats alot better than nearly 40 a day. thats a huge cut back and i will get it down to none soon enough. the first one i smoked after a week was so nasty lol i cant believe how fast they go from tasting great to tasting like ass.

Sometimes it just takes people a little longer to stop, keep at it jamie you'll make it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back