Official LS Picture Thread

IMG_20120804_185710.jpg

I really wanna get my front bumper redone

What's the matter with it ?
looks good from here ... perhaps close up, reveals issues ?

Just in time for rain. :)

*Edit - I thought that picture looked familiar. I used the same comment too haha.

What's the matter with it ?
looks good from here ... perhaps close up, reveals issues ?

Oh yeah lol. Theres a lot of chips, it has holes from the front license plate that is required in Ohio (where I bought it), and it has a pretty large spot where paint is coming off (maybe a square inch at the moment) on the left top of the bumper where it levels off from the little dip it does in the middle. Really, the holes from the license plate are what bother me the most, the other things are kinda whatever.

ahh, few hundred and you be on your way again.
save money and take it off yourself, find a shop that can do
quick turn around and put it back on your self. no biggie.

if you bring your whole car in, this could end up happening ...

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Hahaa haha haa ha haha

Disclaimer: I'm on the Captain tonight

Thanks for all the concern guys, I had my kids with me too. I think marcredd might be right. It looked a pinch low today, but that still doesn't explain the whole inside blowing out unless it scored the tire enough. Stockers are going back on tonight.
Bigrig- the lip was already like that from catching the 20s & that's hammered smoothish in the pic. The 19s aren't close to touching. The wheel cut the tire when it popped & I drove it into the gas station on it.

Thanks for all the concern guys, I had my kids with me too. I think marcredd might be right. It looked a pinch low today, but that still doesn't explain the whole inside blowing out unless it scored the tire enough. Stockers are going back on tonight.
Bigrig- the lip was already like that from catching the 20s & that's hammered smoothish in the pic. The 19s aren't close to touching. The wheel cut the tire when it popped & I drove it into the gas station on it.

Cool, was only just thinking, I read it popped on the inside,
so I figured it didn't blow from the outside cutting into the inner fender.
just though it did that after it blew or something.

glad to hear you and your fam. got away unhurt and amazed you didn't F'up that nice rim when you decided to drive on it to the gas station.

worked out pretty good other then you are shopping for rubber now.

do me a favor ?
slow it down a little with kiddies in the car ?

Buying XL rated tires is a very wise investment. The sidewalls are stiff enough to support the car without air in most cases.

Those low profile tires... I've got the stock size on mine and the sidewalls are small enough. When I checked the air in them I found that all mine were at 30PSI which is too low but they didn't look low. I was checking them as regular maintenance. Considering how they looked before and after I filled them they look to me like they aren't going to look low unless they are in the 15PSI range. At 15PSI they are going to be flexing a lot, which really heats the rubber up fast, which causes the beads to separate. What's more, the longer a tire is run too low the more it is damaged and that damage is cumulative. But the important thing here is nobody was hurt. Wheels, tires, even cars can be replaced. Gotta check the pressure on those low profile tires regularly regardless of how they look though, because they aren't going to look low until they're dangerously low.

Amen on that! I had 255/35-20s on my 2001 LS and they looked the same equalized as they did with 50psi. I had to limp it over to the truck shop when I came off the road after a month.

I would also like to add the following. People, please do a walk around of your vehicle each time you go to get in your car. In this hot weather, tires don't last long when under-inflated. I drive a big truck and am required to check my tires to protect YOU and it makes perfect since for YOU to check your tires to protect YOU and your loved ones. This is very important when we change over to cooler temps in the coming weeks.

One last thing. 50MPH MAX ON TEMPORARY SPARES PEOPLE!

I am still interested in knowing how old those tires were. Rollin had them on his LS for a while, but he didn't drive it a whole lot from what I gather. Tires do age..

I am still interested in knowing how old those tires were. Rollin had them on his LS for a while, but he didn't drive it a whole lot from what I gather. Tires do age..

I planned on looking last night and got behind. They're sitting at a buddy's place but I'll check them soon.

Those low profile tires... I've got the stock size on mine and the sidewalls are small enough. When I checked the air in them I found that all mine were at 30PSI which is too low but they didn't look low.

30psi is the recommended pressure for the tires and 60psi for the space saver. Check the door post or the right rear inside "dogleg".

2000 & 2006:

30psi on 2000.jpg

tire pressure on 2006.jpg

If you have the exact same type of tire that the factory installed on the car, that flies. If you have a different than OEM tire, that sticker is no longer accurate. I don't like to run any motor vehicle tire less than 35PSI, and the non-OEM tires on my LS have a sidewall max of 45PSI.

I like to run 40psi in front but 35psi in the rear as it gives me better instantaneous response and I don't get much rear end hop because there is only 1800 lbs back there.

Ford has a problem with spec'ing lower inflation pressures to get a more supple ride rather than applying different spec dampers. I guess they didn't learn the lesson from the Explorer roll over debacle.

Screw it! Run the pressure 5psi below the max and buy a soft pillow to sit on.

If you have the exact same type of tire that the factory installed on the car, that flies. If you have a different than OEM tire, that sticker is no longer accurate. I don't like to run any motor vehicle tire less than 35PSI, and the non-OEM tires on my LS have a sidewall max of 45PSI.

That pressure is for any factory size tire; whether it be 235/50/17 or 215/60/16 (IIRC, 225/55/16 was the 2002 16" size). Run what you want, but I believe the engineers know more than I. That said, I run ~32# in my 255/40/18 Bridgestones. My wife's stock size gets ~30#.

Ford has a problem with spec'ing lower inflation pressures to get a more supple ride rather than applying different spec dampers. I guess they didn't learn the lesson from the Explorer roll over debacle.

Screw it! Run the pressure 5psi below the max and buy a soft pillow to sit on.

Firestone had a problem making a quality tire and owners had a problem checking pressure.

If that's how you want to run it that's up to you, but Ford only puts the specs for their specific tire selection on that label. When you put something other than what came on it from the factory, even if it's the same size, it is no longer factory specs. When that happens you make the decision according to the tire sidewall, not the car's label. If you run the tires at what the car calls for, but the tires need more pressure, then running at the car's requirement will damage the tire.

If that's how you want to run it that's up to you, but Ford only puts the specs for their specific tire selection on that label. When you put something other than what came on it from the factory, even if it's the same size, it is no longer factory specs. When that happens you make the decision according to the tire sidewall, not the car's label. If you run the tires at what the car calls for, but the tires need more pressure, then running at the car's requirement will damage the tire.

The sidewall pressure is a maximum pressure, not a recommended cold "in use" pressure. Just one source. From Tirerack......
Check and Adjust First Thing In The Morning. Set according to the vehicle manufacturer's cold tire pressure(s) recommended on the vehicle's tire placard or in its owner's manual. This must be done before rising ambient temperatures, the sun's radiant heat or even driving short distances temporarily warms the tires.

From Michelin:

Compare the measured psi to the psi found on the sticker inside the driver’s door of your vehicle or in owner’s manual. DO NOT compare to the psi on your tire’s sidewall.

Believe what you want......

Members online

No members online now.
Back