OEM THX/NAV to AVIC-X920BT install/hackstall w/ pics

I have a wiring diagram that I made for when I installed my X920BT into a Gen 2 LS with the Audiophile system (non-NAV/THX) if anyone is interested. It's currently in Visio format, but I can probably put it into a .jpg file or something similar.

What if I want to keep the stock amps and just replace the HU? Will that work?
Kinda. I tried splicing RCAs but could never get my Z110BT (now Z120BT and hopefully soon Z130BT) working right with the stock 4-channel amp. I would get random engine / ground noise. However, the stock subs + sub amp works beautifully - just need to put a 5V regulator circuit inline to prevent the loud thump on powering up the HU.

Pics (I used the regulator on the left in pic #3 and #4) :

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww8/dndisturb/06 LS/ls_audio_01.jpg
http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww8/dndisturb/06 LS/ls_audio_02.jpg
http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww8/dndisturb/06 LS/ls_audio_03.jpg
http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww8/dndisturb/06 LS/ls_audio_04.jpg
http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww8/dndisturb/06 LS/ls_audio_05.jpg
http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww8/dndisturb/06 LS/ls_audio_06.jpg
http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww8/dndisturb/06 LS/ls_audio_07.jpg

Here are some splashscreens I made for my Z110BT. Some of them might be familiar - coming soon, picwhore... I mean pektel's LS :D

ls_audio_splash_01.jpg

ls_audio_splash_02.jpg

ls_audio_splash_03.jpg

ls_audio_splash_04.jpg

ls_audio_splash_05.jpg

ls_audio_splash_06.jpg

ls_audio_splash_07.jpg

ls_audio_splash_08.jpg

ls_audio_splash_09.jpg

ls_audio_splash_10.jpg

Last edited:
Yea those r nice. If you have infinity speakers anyways. Lol.

The door speakers arent infinity from factory are they?

Success!

Big thanks to Andrizzle and 1LoudLS. Between the write up and PM's, I actually installed an appradio myself today after a shop was stumped on it for 3 days. Believe it or not I got it to work going through the stock amp and subwoofer (significant savings and it sounds pretty darn good).

I do think I have double amplification going on but I think I can fix that easily. System is as loud as I need it on volume setting 3 to 5. Appradio has some clear shortcomings but i went in knowing that. Will prob take it to the professionals and let them get it stuffed back in neatly for me (and get the trim kit), I'm not good with that kind of stuff so it's hanging out but working well after a quick test drive.

Thanks again for all of the input guys.

ls_audio_splash_08.jpg

Not to hijack the thread but who's car is this and anymore pics of it..

I got it to work going through the stock amp and subwoofer (significant savings and it sounds pretty darn good).
i figured going this route would be much much easier. this place has some of the best write ups on things things that have been done, they just need to be dug up

I do think I have double amplification going on but I think I can fix that easily. System is as loud as I need it on volume setting 3 to 5.
this sould be a simple fix, if you wired the factory amp inputs up to the appRadio speaker wires, then yes. all you need to do is switch them over to the RCA outputs. forgive me but i cant remember, but their might not be a full set of preouts for the appRadio, i do remember having a discussion about the limited ability for upgrades later when we installed the last one. if it doesnt, you could either use RCA splitters, or a damn good LOC.

Thanks again for all of the input guys.
no problem, glad you got it hooked up when the "Pro's" couldn't figure it out!

Hey andrizzle i know its been so long but do you remember the difference in sound when you went from ampd stock speakers to running them off the head-unit? MY HU is supposed to arrive friday, wasnt sure what route to take.

Not noticeable enough. I am sure it was a difference but it was ever so slight.

I am not sure what the stock amps wattage output was, but i am thinking it was surely morethan the head unit. So it may take a little more notches to get it louder on the volume knob.

That's real nice work and equipemt, kudos on a job well done.
looking forward to when I get to my upgrade.

Not noticeable enough. I am sure it was a difference but it was ever so slight.

I am not sure what the stock amps wattage output was, but i am thinking it was surely morethan the head unit. So it may take a little more notches to get it louder on the volume knob.

I too have a THX system and would like to upgrade my head unit eventually just for the better features and interface but I'm pretty content with the quality of the sound system. If you could go back is there a different head unit you would have installed? or one with a less difficult installation procedure that would work with the stock amps and speakers or is this a pipe dream?

I am not sure what the stock amps wattage output was, but i am thinking it was surely morethan the head unit.

I have a copy of a late 2002 press-release about the THX system and it states:

The 2003 Lincoln LS THX-certified system offers:

• 10 speakers, including four high-sensitivity two-way speakers (one in each door) and two subwoofer speakers in the rear package tray;
• Four 50-watt amplifiers to power the door speakers and two 32-watt subwoofer amplifiers for high output without audible distortion or compression;
• THX customized equalization to deliver the best possible sound to each seating position, and three user-selectable modes that optimize the sound for any number of passengers;
• 107-dB maximum sound output, combined with undistorted output peaks in excess of 120 dB, to preserve the music’s dynamic range under all conditions

BTW, a very nice write-up you did Andrizzle.
It gives me an option if my head-unit ever dies. I may try to tackle this just to be able to have the personalized wallpaper alone. :cool:

Nah, I really like this head unit, I think bang for buck this one has it all. The NAV is decent, but I don't really use it - I use my iphone.

If I had to change in the future it would be to get an upcoming headunit with iphone interface. I want to be able to basically control apps via the headunit. This would include the google maps with GPS and any videos I play on the phone. These types of devices are just now coming out and being updated. So once they get some stable one out, I would potentially be interested in that.

Good work man. I'm thinking about selling my X920 and stepping up to the new Z140BH. Co worker of mine will have his this week and we are going to install it in his F150 so I will get a chance to test it out.

I have a copy of a late 2002 press-release about the THX system and it states:

The 2003 Lincoln LS THX-certified system offers:

• 10 speakers, including four high-sensitivity two-way speakers (one in each door) and two subwoofer speakers in the rear package tray;
• Four 50-watt amplifiers to power the door speakers and two 32-watt subwoofer amplifiers for high output without audible distortion or compression;
• THX customized equalization to deliver the best possible sound to each seating position, and three user-selectable modes that optimize the sound for any number of passengers;
• 107-dB maximum sound output, combined with undistorted output peaks in excess of 120 dB, to preserve the music’s dynamic range under all conditions

Good info! Shoot i think im just gonna bypass the amps then. HU's push 50w anyways. I actually have the stock NAV but i didnt wanna spend the extra money to get a HU that uses it. I would just use my phone also. Ill probably just end up taking everything out of that rear deck.

Edit: Wow Z140BH looks slick. But i could never justify spending that on a deck lol.

Good info! Shoot i think im just gonna bypass the amps then. HU's push 50w anyways. ...

That's fifty watts per channel, 200 Watts total. I doubt that many headunits can really do a full 200 watts, due to the cooling requirements. (Many that may say 200 Watts really mean 200 Watts peak and more like 20 Watts continuous.)

That said, I think that most headunits have enough power for most of us.

Tru, Would you send me the diagrams for a non THX Gen II? I'm not in the shape cash wise to do it now but in the next year maybe, and I really suck at looking back with the search app and probably never find this tread again!!

Members online

No members online now.
Back