OEM THX/NAV to AVIC-X920BT install/hackstall w/ pics

Andrizzle

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Mainly posting this thread for those who search in the future with questions regarding replacing the factory nav radio setup, as times progresses, more and more people will want to update their setups.

Anyways the install was a little more involved than I had originally planned.

Okay this will probably be long-winded and confusing, but once you dive into this project it will all start to make sense.

First off, the reasons it is complicated:

No actual harness is made for the stock connector that carries the audio and amp signals. There is however the standard harness that connects to the C290D does work in this application (kind of).

I bypassed the stock amps and used the HU for the doors, and already have an aftermarket for subwoofer, so your amp bypass may be a little different. What you could do, is splice the speaker leads going into the amp in the back into a pair of RCA cables and then run the cables up to the headunit and utilize both of the AVIC's front and rear speaker RCA outputs.

-This photo is the actual connector (on the left) that is the one that you will be hacking into. This is all of the audio wires and amp turn on wires that go to the rear amplifiers.

0996b43f80235612.gif

-This is a photo of mine after cutting all of the audio signal wires and splicing them into the AVIC's provided harness. Note: the colors do not match, nor the pin locations match the C290D setup. You have to look up each wire as you solder them to make sure you get them all right, I did them one @ a time cutting them out of the C2253D harness so I would not get any mixed up.

This is the end result after the C2253D is done:
img0633tu.jpg

-The only wires utilized from the C290D are the constant power, switched power, ground, dimmer (though use the ash tray if you want the controllable dim), & steering wheel controls.

One thing to be aware of is, if using the SWC adapter, you must ground (pin19) and attach the white wire on the adapter to the brown wire coming out of the harness (pin18). However, the aftermarket harness does not come with a pin 19 lead, so you must go behind the OEM connector and cut it to get access to it, remember this is the wire going into pin19 and you must ground it.

This is the end result after the C290D is done:
img0634i.jpg

-Next up is the trunk of the vehicle behind the driver's side carpet, this is where your OEM THX door speakers amp is located. There is 3 bolts holding a bracket which is then holding the amp. Like noted above in italics, I bypassed this amp. In simple terms, you are basically taking the speaker leads leading into the amp from the HU, and attaching them to the amp's output that then runs to the door speakers. Note: This is a pretty heavy amp, don't let its size fool you!

This is a photo of were the amp was located and you can see the green connector is the other end of the C2253D which is also carrying turn on signal and power/ground leads. The speaker wires match accordingly to the input/output on both sides of the amp, so it is a simple matching game back here:
img0632h.jpg

-That is pretty much it for the actual hack jobs - just take your time and it is not too difficult. I have done all the dirty work for you. One thing not pictured is the rear-signal splice which can be found in the rear view mirror, it is blue and white.

This is a photo of the screen you will have to click through if you do not do the bypass correctly. This is simply moving the mute wire that is on the AVIC's harness and moving it over one pin and then grounding this wire with the parking brake wire:
img0635o.jpg

Finished:
img0637t.jpg

This is a photo of the microphone used for voice commands and also telephone calls. I LOVE this feature! The mic is mounted in the center, you can see it just in front of the button for on/off rear-park assist:
img0638op.jpg

This is me listening to baby got back:
img0639gm.jpg

Here is the rear view camera/navigation mode you can use while driving. I have noticed this can be distracting though... Haha. When you switch into reverse the camera goes full wide screen, also the rear park assist still works in conjunction with this and makes for a very secure setup:
img0642d.jpg

This is the phone screen that automatically refreshes once the phone is in bluetooth range and connects as soon as I enter the LS. I use my 'Voice' button on my SWC to get to this screen and answer an incoming call. Very cool feature:
img0643ar.jpg

This is the contact list from my phone, I gave a hidden shout-out to a member on here if you look closely: :cool:
img0644np.jpg

This is the actual rear-view camera. It is built with what appears to be extremely high quality material. I was impressed with it's finish and durable feel:
img0645z.jpg

Thanks for looking guys, I was going to take photos of the cool Pandora integration that this HU has, but my phone needs to be connected when playing that, but I was using my phone to take the photos, so yea... lol

Looks hot.

mine wont look as good since i dont have black interior.

What if I want to keep the stock amps and just replace the HU? Will that work?

Yea I posted about that in italics in the OP. You will need to splice the signal wires going into the amp into sets of RCA cables and then run the cables up to the headunit. I am not sure on quality loss in doing this, though.

That looks pretty good man, making me think twice about staying oem. :p

Yea I posted about that in italics in the OP. You will need to splice the signal wires going into the amp into sets of RCA cables and then run the cables up to the head unit. I am not sure on quality loss in doing this, though.

OK. I guess I misread that portion.

looks awesome bud

one thing you might want to try, is if you have a dremil, you can try to cut a little bit off of the edge of the radio opening from the back side, just a little bit at a time to bring the radio more flush with the dash. maybe like a 1/8" at a time. i had to do this more out of necessity with the older F-series because of the rotary volume knob. but i think that it made it look even more like it was made that way from the beginning.

Mic in the center looks very OFFICIAL.

I think I'm going to move mine there now.:D

Is that the license frame by Boyo? Install looks good,glad you got it all firgured out!

Very nice install Adndizzle!

Is this what would have to happen if I replaced my factory Nav HU with any aftermarket navigation unit or specifically an AVIC system.

I know nothing about aftermarket head units (I didn't even know AVIC meant Pioneer until a few minutes ago) but my CD changer has been getting stuck open and giving me CD ERROR almost everytime I try to use it to switch CDs (yes I still use CDs...). Everything else works fine though.

Ipod integration would be nice, decent navigation, bluetooth and (although I don't need it) the backup camera seems pretty cool. Are there other decent cheaper HU options other than this one?

What does a system like this AVIC you installed set you back?

I paid 620 or something for this one, off of Amazon. The prices on these are really coming down. When they first came out they went for like just shy of a grand I think.

And yea with any aftermarket into an OEM THX/NAV you will have to do some hacking... I doubt anyone is going to produce a harness that incorporates the setup needed.

I made this splash screen the other day and uploaded it onto the unit. I also made some others that just say lincoln, but this one is my favorite right now. It's pretty cool you can put whatever you want there! Gunna have to get some hot b!tches and photoshop some lincoln text withem.

img0649we.jpg

your car is amazing..i will be posting some new pics of mine with the 20'' rims..:) she's come a long way also and am interested in upgrading to the same head unit but willing to pay $450 so i'll wait a bit..:D

I paid 620 or something for this one, off of Amazon. The prices on these are really coming down. When they first came out they went for like just shy of a grand I think.

That Screen Pic is Awsome!!! They have them here at BestBuy and there about $1000. The reviews on them arent great though, but the people who reviewed it could have been total idiots. Do you have any complaints about it?

The only thing I don't like is if you hook the dimmer up, there is noway to turn off the function of it dimming when the lights of the car are turned on.

So I just cut the dimmer wire and use it on full brightness all the time...

Any chance we could get ya to upload the slash screens you made..

Sure. They are going to seem stretched veritcally, but that is how you must design them to match the AVIC's aspect ratio, once on the unit the image is shown how it is intended.

Just done a few:

car1t.jpg

lincolnlogoblu.jpg

lincolnlogogrn.jpg

lincolnlogored.jpg

lslogo.jpg

lsv8logo.jpg

Sure. They are going to seem stretched veritcally, but that is how you must design them to match the AVIC's aspect ratio, once on the unit the image is shown how it is intended.

Just done a few:

Thanks!!

Members online

Back