achesonm8

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I inherited my father's 1993 Mk8. I looked at it with him in 1993 and for the last eight years or so would chaffeur him on my many visits from Charlotte, NC (CLT) to Kansas City (MCI) where he lived. After much soul searching I decided to keep the car and it is now my daily driver. He kept it well maintained over the yrs and being an engineer by profession retained all the records and correspondence he had with Ford. He didn't want to replace the ac compressor, 18 months ago because he wasn't driving it. I started driving the car in Feb of this year when it had 196K miles on it. After my father's passing in March I took ownership and have done the following: New AC compressor, new tires Goodyear Eagle GT's, new front diff mounts and rear diff mounts, new tranny mount, new front radial arm bushings and alignment. I have purchased new motor mounts also but have not had them replaced yet. I have discovered Pull-A-Part, :D, and have visited 3 or 4 Mk8's destined for the scrapyard to remove parts. Front Bumpers off of two, because the original is not complete underneath. I have also scavenged headlamps and sidelamps as I have the notorious extreme yellowing/blind as a bat problem....I plan to keep the air suspension system for now. But it does appear to have leaking lines or bags in the front. After ignition off it takes several hours 5-8? and the front end droops to "slammed Position". At anyrate i have been searching and reading on this forum and the Mark 8 org forum and am learning a lot..I look forward to reading posts about this car and hopefully I can get some help here as i am really a noobie to all this. Thanks!

Scott

Hi All,

I inherited my father's 1993 Mk8. I looked at it with him in 1993 and for the last eight years or so would chaffeur him on my many visits from Charlotte, NC (CLT) to Kansas City (MCI) where he lived. After much soul searching I decided to keep the car and it is now my daily driver. He kept it well maintained over the yrs and being an engineer by profession retained all the records and correspondence he had with Ford. He didn't want to replace the ac compressor, 18 months ago because he wasn't driving it. I started driving the car in Feb of this year when it had 196K miles on it. After my father's passing in March I took ownership and have done the following: New AC compressor, new tires Goodyear Eagle GT's, new front diff mounts and rear diff mounts, new tranny mount, new front radial arm bushings and alignment. I have purchased new motor mounts also but have not had them replaced yet. I have discovered Pull-A-Part, :D, and have visited 3 or 4 Mk8's destined for the scrapyard to remove parts. Front Bumpers off of two, because the original is not complete underneath. I have also scavenged headlamps and sidelamps as I have the notorious extreme yellowing/blind as a bat problem....I plan to keep the air suspension system for now. But it does appear to have leaking lines or bags in the front. After ignition off it takes several hours 5-8? and the front end droops to "slammed Position". At anyrate i have been searching and reading on this forum and the Mark 8 org forum and am learning a lot..I look forward to reading posts about this car and hopefully I can get some help here as i am really a noobie to all this. Thanks!

Scott

For $650 (ballpark figure), the two front air shocks can be bought brand new in the box and they will be Gen 2 style and your front end slamming will be over with. They will be Motorcraft!

Clear headlight housings with HID kits installed with a relay harness and your lighting issue will be fixed. Kits range from $40 to $100's, depending on brand but try to stick with something like 5000K or 6000K bulbs 9005 will be the size you need for halogen housings. All of that can be bought off eBay and if you're lucky, you can find clear clean housings in the junk yard. Good luck with that.

$303 for the passengers side air shock with free shipping. It is Motorcraft and should last you an easy 15 years
[url]http://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-AVS16-Spring/dp/B0011DSB6K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350448451&sr=8-1&keywords=AVS-16[/URL]

The drivers side air shock at the cheapest price would be here and shipping should be right at $20.00
[url]http://www.sarad.com/SearchResults.aspx#yr=1998&yri=314&mk=Lincoln&mki=1911&mo=Mark%20Viii&moi=31599&c=Steering%20and%20Suspension&ci=1627[/URL]

So, now you're really under the $650 range to stop the drop. You can change those out yourself if you have an air compressor. Makes it much easier. I done mine pretty quick but you will need the required tools to make it quick.

The HID kit I speak of would be something like this or the like. Just don't buy anything too cheap. You get what you pay for
[url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/9005-HB3-6000K-WHITE-SLIM-BALLAST-XENON-HID-CONVERSION-KIT-LOW-BEAM-HEADLIGHTS-/180986597684?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AMark+VIII&hash=item2a23a45134&vxp=mtr[/URL]

I suggest two kits. One for the lows and one for the high beams. Then you will need a relay kit for added power to your ballasts and bulbs.

[url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/H1-H3-H4-H7-H8-H9-H11-9005-9006-Xenon-HID-Conversion-Kit-Relay-Wire-Harness-USA-/180995205909?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a2427ab15&vxp=mtr[/URL]

Good luck! Keep that air if at all possible. The rear bags rarely leak but with time, they will eventually. Just be on the look out in the JY for extras on the cheap. Treat them with a rubber conditioner and stash them away until needed. If you can get 6 of them cheap, get them.

If your front is dropping that fast then you don't have long before it doesn't come back up at all and then your buying a compressor and drier also.
Better take care of those front bags now while you still have time!

Yes, and welcome too! You let this stuff go too long and you can say you have inherited a money pit. :lol: All the links I gave you (for air shocks) are about as cheap as you're going to find and believe me, people are buying them. One well known place is completely out of them and isn't getting anymore in. 2010 was the last year they were in production. Get them now while you can and you'll feel a huge difference with the way it drives and handles. My 94 I had was also original air shocks but they were the Gen 1 style.. All steel and the ride just isn't the same as Gen 2 style air shocks. They still sell Gen 1 style but they are $400 to $500 each. If and when you get new ones and actually have a new shock inside there too, you'll love it.

Thanks for all the great information! I spent a few afternoons pulling the front d and p side air shocks and the complete compressor unit off a 95 at the pull-a-part here in Charlotte. I also have the sensors for front and I plan next week to remove the rear air shocks. The headlamps and side lamps I also have...I am going to rehabilitate them. Cut open with a dremel, rechrome...I enjoy the challenge. I have a much better understanding of the air suspension system now. I think I have the rear strut failure on the p side described here because I hear a "clunk" when I go over a bump...found that discussion here. I still have a clunk when I let off or decelerate quickly coming from the rear...I took it to a Mienke and the manager heard the clunk but could not see anything obvious ...he said he had looked "on the internet" for info also. The handling and ride of the car feels fine to me on acceleration and at constant speed...75-85 mph no shimmy, smooth as glass as long as the road is! Labor of love! I also have a 91 850i BMW and 57 190SL Benz waiting in the wings! Thanks again. Off to the search engine!

Welcome to the site and kudos for doing the research. You will be a great addition here. As for the "clunk" you may just have a worn shock mount. Very common. You can burn out the old rubber and slap in aftermarket grommets easy enough or if you like I have a Ford OEM one still in the shrink wrap I would sell for 1/2 of whatever they are going for. I am sure someone on here knows.

And good idea to quickly fix that nose. Airing down that quick and will kill the compressor. That now seems to be the hardest part to find. Not sure whats up if Eddie is making them still or not. They are becoming gold. I have like 5 but are all worn. LOL.

So where are the pics of this beast?

BTW, L&D has some first gen clear corners in the works to match the LSC headlights. If we can get some time Sapperfire may perfect the process but so far they look pretty cool.

Welcome!! I like this guy.

BTW, L&D has some first gen clear corners in the works to match the LSC headlights. If we can get some time Sapperfire may perfect the process but so far they look pretty cool.

Oh really? That's pretty cool. Any pics of that?

Welcome!! I like this guy.

Oh really? That's pretty cool. Any pics of that?
No soup for you! :D Not yet. Just kinda toying around with it. Our shop has been slammed and we have been working 12+ hour days so the side projuects are on the back burner right now.

the beast/ pull-a-part

:)

0927121133a.jpg

Pull A Part fall 2012.jpg

204.jpg

thanks all

I have every record, as Dad was an engineer/pilot. Even correspondence from him to Ford Motor Corp complaining of QA/QC because he received the car with 40 psi in all four tires! He had the recall(s) work done and the air suspension system was serviced not too long ago...well I am enjoying the ride (212 K) on the car now and I guess I can call it my own. It was my Dad's last car but it won't be my last. I may already have bought my last...the Bimmer 850i...oops I take that back, I have a 17 yr old daughter going off to college next fall so I'll be buying her a car down the road. Damn fleet of cars! Besides the wife's van (02 Mazda MPV). Here's the pics of the bimmer and benz. If anyone needs a part off a 95 (Garnet red/tan int) I can retrieve gratis plus shipping. I have removed most of what I need/want, I guess!
Scott :)

8-14-2011 1991 BMW 850i.jpg

112.jpg

I was looking at an 840csi before I bought my 740i M-Sport. Those 8 series are seriously nice. Just dislike the old style HVAC setup.

Nice collection
i dont know how you can stop buying cars though.
I think ill always have my mark and the wife's camaro then aside from them
A revolving door of cars till i die.

Sweet! That mark is pretty clean for 212k miles!

Members online

Back