New lowering springs-Ideal ride height

Alax7

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So what does everyone think the ideal ride height for a lowered ls should be? Eibachs give you the 1.1'' drop, sprints gave go 1.75, would a 1.5'' drop be the best, 1.75'', maybe 2''? There is a company that makes springs for everything and can make one-offs that lower or raise your height from .5-2'', make them stiffer or softer, for about 450-500.
After seeing pinknut's lowered ls with the cut eibachs, I might want to lower my ls a little more.

What do you guys think?

Right there with you. I'd say 1.75-2 is ideal.

Springworks?

2" FTW. I feel like my Springtechs got me a healthy 1.75" - closer to 2".

For near $500, I am not so sure about that route. I would love to get my LS bagged or something though.

I know eibach says 1.1 but I really feel like I closer to 1.5 from mine. Going any lower is pretty stupid up north here with how $hitty our roads are but that doesn't make me change my mind

Right there with you. I'd say 1.75-2 is ideal.

Springworks?

No, coilspring

2" FTW. I feel like my Springtechs got me a healthy 1.75" - closer to 2".

For near $500, I am not so sure about that route. I would love to get my LS bagged or something though.

How bad do you rub on driveways or speed bumps? I rarely rub, except when I go over a speed bump too fast or go down a driveway too fast, but it's not bad at all right now.

500 sounds like a lot when you can pay 260 for eibachs, but it doesn't sound like a lot if you want to lower it more the 1.1''. I wouldn't mind paying 500 to lower it 1.75''. I never thought I would find a set of sprints in the first place to get that nice drop and I thought a custom set of springs would run me like 1k, so 500 sounds real cheap to me for custom springs to drop it the height I want.

I know eibach says 1.1 but I really feel like I closer to 1.5 from mine. Going any lower is pretty stupid up north here with how $hitty our roads are but that doesn't make me change my mind

Yeah I should've measured mine. I did when I was initalli going to drop it and I wrote down my exact height, but i lost the paper when I actually lowered it 2 months later.

I tend to agree that anything lower than Eibach for regular driving is just a pain in the ass. Plus, ride quality has got to start suffering beyond that too.

On top of that, I personally do not see the appeal of having tires shoved up into the fenderwell. I drove past a VW (of course) on the way to work this week that literally looked like it would get scraped, rubbed, and mangled just by a stiff wind...forget about potholes and regular driving bumps! I just do not get it.

I like my springtechs. I think it looks about perfect. The entire tire can be seen most of the time.

Well whenever I park next to stock LSes. I feel like my car looks hella low. However I still have 19s also so it may be an illusion.

I don't rub, unless you mean the scraping on stuff. Then yes, I do alot of scraping. I have to approach steep driveways (even my own) at an angle as to let each wheel hit the incline one at a time. I have mastered it pretty well.

Of course there are the unavoidable scrapes like when you go over a hump @ an exit of a parking lot or something and can't hit it at an angle without taking up the entire entry/exit. Speed bumps just don't happen. And if I have no choice, I go over them at like 1mph. It is totally worth it!!!!

And keep in mine the only thing scraping is the parallel supports or whatever that are under the driver and passenger front areas. Not sure what the name of those are, but they scrape if anything.

Well whenever I park next to stock LSes. I feel like my car looks hella low. However I still have 19s also so it may be an illusion.

I don't rub, unless you mean the scraping on stuff. Then yes, I do alot of scraping. I have to approach steep driveways (even my own) at an angle as to let each wheel hit the incline one at a time. I have mastered it pretty well.

Of course there are the unavoidable scrapes like when you go over a hump @ an exit of a parking lot or something and can't hit it at an angle without taking up the entire entry/exit. Speed bumps just don't happen. And if I have no choice, I go over them at like 1mph. It is totally worth it!!!!

And keep in mine the only thing scraping is the parallel supports or whatever that are under the driver and passenger front areas. Not sure what the name of those are, but they scrape if anything.

You can always take a chapter out of the 4x4 playbook and put skidplates on the bottom of the LS. LOL!

I always cringe and then immediately get pissed off when the car bottoms out (wish stock spring). It always sounds like a bomb going off. My issue just seems to be speed bumps. Hence, "They aren't speedbumps, they are landmines!"

I have eibach with stock wheels and tire size. I feel that they lowered it too much. How big of difference do different wheels and tires make?

I personally wouldn;t go lower than 1.75. I would sooner or later get fed up with the scraping.

I have eibach with stock wheels and tire size. I feel that they lowered it too much. How big of difference do different wheels and tires make?

Yeah you guys that want more are crazy....id rather have a .5" drop myself.

So what does everyone think the ideal ride height for a lowered ls should be? Eibachs give you the 1.1'' drop, sprints gave go 1.75, would a 1.5'' drop be the best, 1.75'', maybe 2''? There is a company that makes springs for everything and can make one-offs that lower or raise your height from .5-2'', make them stiffer or softer, for about 450-500.
After seeing pinknut's lowered ls with the cut eibachs, I might want to lower my ls a little more.

What do you guys think?

I think your car looks great as it is. If i was going to lower it, i would go with Eibachs.

Yeah you guys that want more are crazy....id rather have a .5" drop myself.

I am with you. Never liked "got broken ball joints" look. I don't know maybe they are not classy enough for me.

What do you guys think?

What are you looking to do? Better handling? Looks? I went back to stock springs as my daughter was learning to drive (as you know that LS is hers now) and I was tired of scrapping the lower front bumper on driveways.

FWIW, the guy that designed the suspension said the ideal drop for handling and ride was 3/4". He said any more would make the car tail-happy.

Well the stock wheels sit really close inside the fender, most aftermarket wheels have an offset that makes the wheel sit out further.

The only disadvantage other than scraping/learning to drive carefully - is your car looks so dam good that people can't stop staring!

^^ LOL

As I mentioned before Alax, 1.5" and a stiffer rate would be about perfect IMO. I have the sprints now and they are a little to low and definitely too soft for my tastes. But maybe that cause I wanna rally the sh$t outta my car..

What are you looking to do? Better handling? Looks? I went back to stock springs as my daughter was learning to drive (as you know that LS is hers now) and I was tired of scrapping the lower front bumper on driveways.

FWIW, the guy that designed the suspension said the ideal drop for handling and ride was 3/4". He said any more would make the car tail-happy.

Mainly looks, it's not like I will be racing like Quik to have needs for improved handling.

^^ LOL

As I mentioned before Alax, 1.5" and a stiffer rate would be about perfect IMO. I have the sprints now and they are a little to low and definitely too soft for my tastes. But maybe that cause I wanna rally the sh$t outta my car..

Yeah I was thinking of doing 1.5'', that's what I got the quote for too.

There is a company that makes springs for everything and can make one-offs that lower or raise your height from .5-2'', make them stiffer or softer, for about 450-500.
Just curious do you mean they would be adjustable.. between .5-2"
If they had adjustables I would def love a set.
and I think 1.5 looks the best. :cool:

see, ya'll all make fun of the mark boys, but at least they can control their ride height at anytime. personally i love the slammed look, and that should only be done with air ride. raise it up a little for the cruise to where your going, then lay it out in the parking lot.

driving a car too low, while looking great, just sucks too much to enjoy driving especially here in michigan where you cant drive anywhere with out hitting at least one road with unavoidable holes or chunks of asphalt!

the LS does look about perfect with at least 1.75"-2"but any more would just be undrivable.

Just curious do you mean they would be adjustable.. between .5-2"
If they had adjustables I would def love a set.
and I think 1.5 looks the best. :cool:

i thought he meant that could make your springs customized to your specs, you pick the drop, and they make them as stiff or as soft as you would like

I think Eibachs have the perfect stance for my taste with 20" wheels and 35 series tires on the fronts. I would like 1/2" to 1" lower in the back for cosmetics but not sure about clearance if the car was loaded up. I think 1/2" would be fine.

Members online

No members online now.
Back