New guy.

Jman

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone just thought I would say hi I'm new here and I'm sure I will be on here a lot asking questions. So here is my first what's the first mod I should do. 1994 mark viii 109,000 purplish silver 1,800 bucks:)

It would help if you described its condition and any known problems. Also what is your goal with it or intended use?

Your first "mod" should be getting the maintenance up to date. brakes, fluids, suspension parts, etc.

arrow-up.png
What he said. Before mod one is done, the whole front end is most likely going to need to be redone, unless you bought this car from someone that had all of their maintenance taken care of. If you're going to start beating on it after 16 years of pampering, things will start to break. First mod I would do is polish the lights, and if needed, pay to have them rechromed. You will find that visibility is an issued. Also, show some pics! By the way..Not to be confused with GMAN ;)

welcome aboard, I would definetly put the car thru the paces and get it up to good working order before modding as well. You will probably find some the common problems these cars are known for. Just search for some cheaper/easier fixes when you find them.

The condition is pretty good no rust only one little dent that I already popped out I flushed the trans radiator and did oil change power steering brakes are good suspension looks good to me, just need a new windshield. I do believe I need to change the oil filter gasket though. I will be doing plugs and wires soon next couple days. Put a new water pump on to. Only bad spot of paint is two marks where your hands go when you shut the hood.

trust us have the front end inspected, im sure something is loose as there always is. oil filter adapter gasket isnt too bad to do, just 4 bolts, its just how you get to those bolts that makes it fun, and its a big fukkin mess because out comes all of your coolant and some oil all over your driveway.

:W to :V

Where is the gasket at by chance? And Yeah I'll prolly pull it on grass in the back yard to do that and I'll go get the front end checked out later this week that's not to bad of an Idea. That that I think of it I did hear a little rattling up front when I hit some bumps

Welocome to the site! Everyone is spot on with the maintenance first. I overhauled all that before I added the fun stuff.

Check the ball joints boots, tie rods boots and also the front strut rod bushings. These are all parts that fail easily.

If you find you have bad ball joints its much easier and cost effective to just replace the entire controll arm.

If all thats up to par the first few mods I would reccomend are full exhaust and braces. Braces make a huge difference in the way these cars feel. Better brakes are also a very worth while upgrade.

Where is the gasket at by chance?
look at your oil filter, its the part between the oil filter and the engine block. is it leaking or is the k member under it just full of crap? they usually never get cleaned out well after an oil change. it is common to leak there also, so clean it off and see
Check the ball joints boots, tie rods boots and also the front strut rod bushings. These are all parts that fail easily.

fyi the strut rod bushings are the ones on the bar that runs forward from the lower control arm to the front of the k member, nothing to do with the front shock/air bag. its the same ft suspension as the 92~ish-97 t birds (MN10 platform) just on bags

Im going to jack it up and look tomorrow. Kinda stupid question it was like 40 outside I washed the outside of my car and when I started it up it was smoking out tail pipes and when I reved it up it smoked a lot just white smoke and when it was sitting it was smoking normally. Was that just condensation cuz the motor was warm when I sparyed it. I know stupid question just never seen it to that before

Cars do that when it's cold, especially when the engine is trying to warm up. Has nothing to do with spraying the engine unless the smoke was coming out from under the hood, etc.

Yes cars do it when cold, more so cars like ours with very long pipes. The moisture in the system turns to steam.

BUT I know of certain Marks that smoke when they fire up cause of bad head gaskets too. That would be a white thicker steam with a sweet smell.

Or a Mark that fires up with white smoke because it has a leaky injector and pools in one cylinder.

Or a Mark that fires up with blue smoke because it has bad piston rings.

Or another Mark that fires up with blue smoke cause it has bad valve seals.

So really you need to know what kind of smoke you have. Me, I have some killer stinky smoke. :p

Welcome!!!!!!

Welcome to the most helpful/disfuncional group of car enthusiasts on the planet. But seriously, this is a great forum, its worth buying a mark viii just to be a part of it . After you get everything up to snuff i recomend a fuel pump upgrade, exhaust upgrade and free up the air intake . Anything after that is that much better .

Yes cars do it when cold, more so cars like ours with very long pipes. The moisture in the system turns to steam.

BUT I know of certain Marks that smoke when they fire up cause of bad head gaskets too. That would be a white thicker steam with a sweet smell.

Or a Mark that fires up with white smoke because it has a leaky injector and pools in one cylinder.

Or a Mark that fires up with blue smoke because it has bad piston rings.

Or another Mark that fires up with blue smoke cause it has bad valve seals.

So really you need to know what kind of smoke you have. Me, I have some
killer stinky smoke. :p

I'll look more into those thanks I'll have a shop look at it next week sometime.

On the phone it looks gold, I see it's Silver now...silver spiderman spiderman, does whatever a spider can ( nice rims :p )

Members online

Back