"New car hunt" - Visited Mercedes and Jaguar

I think there are two questions about Tata and Jag:

1 - How will Tata leverage Jag's technical knowledge to improve their original auto product and can they use it to make Tata a global car brand? This would be like Toyota buying Cadillac in 1957 and becoming a global car company by 1965.

2 - Will Tata invest enough in R&D to ensure Jag maintains their current presence? Can they replace what Ford did for them? Can they produce high quality parts?

I'm guessing 1 will happen, but they'll not quite make it because Toyota, Honda and Hyundai will maintain their lead on them.

2 is the BIG question for me. Tata is a massive operation, but they are also pretty well leveraged these days. And it seems like they need to make 1 happen before 2 can be done.

First and foremost, anything is possible. Tata is actually already a global car brand. It's just not very popular in United States. They aim at a specific demographics. They have been around since early to mid 1900s.

To answer your second question, they have the financial backing to do anything. Tata's CEO owns half the India - hotels etc.... I am sure if you were to follow the money stream, it all goes back to Dubai. So, money is not a problem.
Also, I don't see a reason for them to buy a brand like Jaguar and build cars with less quality incorporated into them.

I don't know what Jaguar's retention rate used to be, but give another year or two for the current models to get more exposure, their retention rate will improve by quite a bit.

DOH!!! You're right. MY MISTAKE!

It's still fun to poke fun! :p

LS4me, now it makes sense for me. I was under the impression you knew it was based in India. I got confused for a second, when you mentioned China. We are all clear now. :)

Jag... Love the look and the performance is great. Plus, I feel like it is similar to the LS where you don't see it very often on the road. I like having a car that not everyone has like a civic or camry.

Jag... Love the look and the performance is great. Plus, I feel like it is similar to the LS where you don't see it very often on the road. I like having a car that not everyone has like a civic or camry.

I was going to say that earlier. And I deffinately agreed with your bmws are everywhere comment. Yea I like the ls because I'm one of maybe 10 total in my area compared to probably over 1500 G6's. And if I had an XF I'd be one of 2. I know if you get into cities you see more of the luxury brands but even then I can't say I see a jaguar to often.

Only thing is I wish the headlights were smoked like they are on the new one. I think if you got that some tinting of the headlights is necessary! IMO.

And even though I'm not in the market you just encouraged me to go drive one. I wasn't in the market for the LS and then I saw one in town and drove it and then it was a nationwide search to find the perfect one haha.

The jags look amazing, but i've heard they can be a little boring to drive... I'd say let you butt decide....

Cole, the exclusivity that comes with the Jaguars really wins it over for me.

T-money, i will give away a small secret. Jaguar's fiscal year ends on June 30th. So, they have some great deals on 2011 right now, $12-15k below MSRP. (if you are looking for a new one).
Go test drive a few, let me know how you like it.

G-rell, I have to say that would depend on the engine. To be honest, i expect it to be similiar to the LS's characteristic. Just more luxury and performance.

And even though I'm not in the market you just encouraged me to go drive one. I wasn't in the market for the LS and then I saw one in town and drove it and then it was a nationwide search to find the perfect one haha.

So you drove an XF??

The XJ's are even nicer but cost way more. And the older XJ's look like bentleys.

The jags look amazing, but i've heard they can be a little boring to drive... I'd say let you butt decide....

They look like they ride softer but they do have more power.

It's amazing how similarly dimensioned the LS and the XF are. The XF is on the left. The LS is on the right

01.jpg

The Mercs just always seemto look dated to me and they are everywhere. The XF is basically an updated LS and I like the look of them.

The Mercs just always seemto look dated to me and they are everywhere. The XF is basically an updated LS and I like the look of them.

You sir are 100% correct. On my recent trip to downtown Toronto, I saw them everywhere.

Base level mercs yes...but the AMG's are damn nice.

I would only look at AMG series nothing less.

Both of those cars are sick, but just to my .02 in, I would definitely consider looking at a newer audi. A6 to be exact. Sick cars

UPDATE:

Well fellas, i took a 2011 XF (5.0L engine) for a long test drive today and...........wait for it ............my LS is up FOR SALE. Let me know if anyone is interested. Yes! I am serious.

British know how to do it right. The XF looks fantastic, handles phenominally and the luxury it carries, beats any BMW and Mercedes. There are no words in the dictionary that i could use to describe how impressed i was by the XF. After driving the XF, i will never look back at the E class or any Silverstar for that matter.

The salesman (good friend of mine) let me take the car for a long ride, which gave me the chance to learn the XF a little. Anyways, we crusied around the backroads going through some twisties and the XF carved the corners extremely well. I have to mention, the engine note was UNBELIEVEABLE! You guys know the LS has that nice growl around 3000rpm? Well, amplify that by 8 times and you get to hear it the minute your fingers press down on the START ENGINE button, up to redline.

Some details about the test drive: I pulled out of a side street to a main road ( had the car in 1st gear ) doing about 15 mph, and i just floored it. Next thing i know, the car starts fishtailing (that's with two other people in the car and Stability Control/Traction activated) and i get pinned back into the seat......You ever been in a fast car, where the force against your body kinda makes you feel like your heart stops beating for a second? That's what i experienced.

One of the coolest features i have ever seen in the car; it has VALET feature (utilized through the Navigation scree) where you just punch in a 4 digit number and it locks the glove box, the trunk, phonebook, addresses, and puts the car in a mode where you can't fool around with it. I mean, that's some James Bond sh#t.

Long story short, i am definitely sold on the XF. After riding the 385hp cat, i don't even want to bother with the 300hp 4.2L engine - unless it's supercharged.

Great choice as opposed to the MB E-klasse! Can't wait to see some photos. Any ETA? :D

Thanks Mark! E class was a nice car, but too soft for my taste. The XF was a lot more nimble. The stopping power on the XF was better by 20%.

I don't know about the arrival time just yet, cause i have to sell the LS first and i can't really stay without a car for too long. I have to come up with a plan first.

Congrats Ed on the decision. Please stay as a member on LVC so we can hear about updates when you purchase the XF and any modifications you might make. Great choice by the way. The other James Bond feature I like is how the vents flip around and the gear shifter pops up out of the console. Very cool.

Congrats Ed on the decision. Please stay as a member on LVC so we can hear about updates when you purchase the XF and any modifications you might make. Great choice by the way. The other James Bond feature I like is how the vents flip around and the gear shifter pops up out of the console. Very cool.

Cole, thank you budd. I loved the theatrical presentation the car gives as the cat comes alive. The car is really a beatifully engineered piece of machinary.

And, yes, I will definitely will stick around.

Steppin up in the world! Excellent choice my friend.

Thanks. Time to move on and up to more luxury and performance.

So what are the issues with this engine?? Does it still eat coils??

Members online

No members online now.
Back