"New car hunt" - Visited Mercedes and Jaguar

05 LS8

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas,

Don't know where to start, but i started the search for a replacement for the LS. The cars that i have been considering are: Mercedes Benz E550 and Jaguar XF.

Today i took the 2010 E550 (even though i was only interested in W211 models/08-09s) for a test drive and i wanted to pass over what i have garnered for the day.

Exetior - The new styling has really grown on me and the whole car looked very proportionate. I think they could have done a little better job with the rear end, but it will do.

Interior - Talk about quality, even to the smallest detail. I have to say, i was blown away. The gear shifter on the steering column is something i would have to get used to.
I had the chance to push the car around curves and the paddle shifters came in really handy. They were extremely responsive and the transmission would shift INSTANTLY.

Drivability - It had enough power to nudge my head back into the seat, even with 3 other people in the car. It obsorved the bumps well. Overall very smooth ride. I have to say though, handling wise, the LS would hold it's own against the E550.

On to the picture:

6704516975_49038ed294_b.jpg

Now, about the Jaguar....
By the time i got to the dealership, they were closing up, so i didn't get a chance to take it for a ride, but i am planning on stopping by there next weekend. So, stay tuned.....

6704517225_c663b72262_b.jpg

Waiting to hear about the Jag! M4rk, I was also going to ask if the A6/A8 were on his radar. I've been pondering life after the LS myself and would love to find a 2006-2008 A8.

both cars look good, i like the 2013 mks and mkz im waiting for them to come out so i can test drive

Haha what. Your must be one of the only people on this forum that likes the new Lincoln's. Haha.

I have a soft spot for jaguars. But I do like the new direction the Benz's are going.
I can't say that I like every car that one manufacturer makes but each luxury/sport brand has a vehicle or two I woulnt mind owning. Good luck. The A8 is cool aswell.

Last edited:
Not considering the A6/5 Series/G37?

G37 haha really? Your goin to put that up against an E550 or an XF?

IMO I think Infiniti and Acura and just nicer nissans and Hondas. They don't get me as excited as the other brands in the segment. And the g37 also IMO lacks good looks ahha

Jaguar XF is very high on my list of potential replacements for the LS. Have you seen the brand new one?

We have the same taste 05 LS8.

I like both vehicles you looked at....also look at the 5 and 7 series. I would like for my next vehicle to come with brembo brakes standard so it puts me in a hard position in terms of what i could look at. $20K or less is my price range unless i get a few promotions at work.

But i still have a few years before i think i would be upgrading my daily driver. I like that AMG that pinknuts got but im more into the looks of jags but the drivability and tuning of bmw.

The supercharged jags are dropping in price already dipping under 30K. I park next to one almost every other day at work and its the same length wise as the LS but looks more roomy on the inside....also sits a bit lower and has larger wheels from the factory.

Not considering the A6/5 Series/G37?

Mark, this may sound strange, but BMW is actually one of my favorite brands - more so than Benz. But, they are everywhere around here. I mean EVERYWHERE. Interior styling is very important for me and BMW just doesn't do it. Not luxurious enough...Mercedes has picked up the lead in this department.

Audis are nice cars, but i could never see myself owning one. I don't know, just something about them.
I would have to say the same about the Japanese vehicles. I am not fond of them.

Waiting to hear about the Jag! M4rk, I was also going to ask if the A6/A8 were on his radar. I've been pondering life after the LS myself and would love to find a 2006-2008 A8.

I will keep you posted on the XF. I am planning on taking a few of them for a drive. If i am not content with the 4.2l then, i will go for either for the 5.0 or 4.2L supercharged.

G37 haha really? Your goin to put that up against an E550 or an XF?

IMO I think Infiniti and Acura and just nicer nissans and Hondas. They don't get me as excited as the other brands in the segment. And the g37 also IMO lacks good looks ahha

I would have to agree with you.
If i was going for a two door, it would be XK or a 6 series. Classy, luxurious and mature.

Jaguar XF is very high on my list of potential replacements for the LS. Have you seen the brand new one?

Yes i have! As matter of fact, saw the first 2012 XF on the road ever a few days ago. Sharp looking car, especially with the J blade daytime running LED lights.
For the price, nothing really beats the Jaguars. 2009s are going for under $30,000 with 30,000 miles on them.

6676646367_d7decd4a43_z.jpg

The new jags are probably the best looking jags I've seen.

They look fantastic. I was eating at a taco stand last week that happens to be next to a Jag dealership and sow someone rolling slowly out of the lot in a black XJ with chrome factories (19? 20 inch). I was transfixed lol. I think Benzes age worse than any luxury car as far as looking dated. They only look good in their current model year, with a few exceptions. When you see an older Benz, you KNOW it's older.

That Jag is sweet. I'd choose that if I had the money.

I think i'am going to end up with the Jag. It's got the looks and luxury, plus it's costs not nearly half as much, but it's around there.

Spoil yourself. Go look at an Aston Martin.

KS

I don't like window shopping, unless i am going to buy it.

The new jags are probably the best looking jags I've seen.

Ian Callum (Jaguar's new designer) is definitely on the right path. They left the retro look in the dust.

We have the same taste 05 LS8.

I like both vehicles you looked at....also look at the 5 and 7 series. I would like for my next vehicle to come with brembo brakes standard so it puts me in a hard position in terms of what i could look at. $20K or less is my price range unless i get a few promotions at work.

But i still have a few years before i think i would be upgrading my daily driver. I like that AMG that pinknuts got but im more into the looks of jags but the drivability and tuning of bmw.

The supercharged jags are dropping in price already dipping under 30K. I park next to one almost every other day at work and its the same length wise as the LS but looks more roomy on the inside....also sits a bit lower and has larger wheels from the factory.

:Beer I wouldn't mind the 7 series, but the amount i have to spend on a nice Jag, would only get me 06-2007 7 series or something newer with a lot of miles, which i don't want.

XF's frame is very familiar to ours, since they carried it over from the S type. The XF is only an inch longer and another inch taller (at it's highest point) than the LS.

I am excited to take it for a drive. Hopefully at the end of the week.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. The XF is both a beauty and a beast with the right engine. Which year are you looking at? I heard something about reliability issues. Extended warranties come to mind.

That Jag is sweet. I'd choose that if I had the money.

If you don't mind buying a car made by Tata Motors....... If the Chinese leave Jag alone then fine, if not.......... I'd wait and see. I know Ford is still supplying some parts.

Mark, it really comes down to the price. I know the 09s had the jaguardrive gear selector issue, but i will be getting extended warranty with it.

LS4me, Jaguars are not made by Tata Motors. Do they have ownership in the company? Sure! Every Jaguar is still built in Birmingham, UK. And every Jaguar gets shipped out of United Kingdom.

The Mercedes is nice but imo the Jag is the way to go. If I could afford it I'd love to own one. Good luck car shopping!

LS4me, Jaguars are not made by Tata Motors. Do they have ownership in the company? Sure! Every Jaguar is still built in Birmingham, UK. And every Jaguar gets shipped out of United Kingdom.

That's what I meant by Tata leaving Jag alone. Would I consider an XF? ABSOLUTELY! But, as I get fired in 10 months I'm sure I won't ever own one.

Besides, it's fun to poke a little fun now that Tata owns jag :p :D

I think there are two questions about Tata and Jag:

1 - How will Tata leverage Jag's technical knowledge to improve their original auto product and can they use it to make Tata a global car brand? This would be like Toyota buying Cadillac in 1957 and becoming a global car company by 1965.

2 - Will Tata invest enough in R&D to ensure Jag maintains their current presence? Can they replace what Ford did for them? Can they produce high quality parts?

I'm guessing 1 will happen, but they'll not quite make it because Toyota, Honda and Hyundai will maintain their lead on them.

2 is the BIG question for me. Tata is a massive operation, but they are also pretty well leveraged these days. And it seems like they need to make 1 happen before 2 can be done.

If you don't mind buying a car made by Tata Motors....... If the Chinese leave Jag alone then fine, if not.......... I'd wait and see. I know Ford is still supplying some parts.

I thought that Tata was/is based in India.

I don't think they do any manufacturing for the Jaguar brand, they just control the money that Jaguar gets to use.

I thought that Tata was/is based in India.

I don't think they do any manufacturing for the Jaguar brand, they just control the money that Jaguar gets to use.

DOH!!! You're right. MY MISTAKE!

It's still fun to poke fun! :p

Members online

No members online now.
Back