neon tailight issues

Brentcon01

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 98 lsc with bad rear neon. I am getting power to the ballast. No mold or black crud inside. I have a ballast that was supposedly tested as good. I want to have a neon shop check the bulb, but I can't figure out how to open the unit itself. Has anyone opened it up and how do you do it without breaking the lense itself? Thanks for your help.

I have a 98 lsc with bad rear neon. I am getting power to the ballast. No mold or black crud inside. I have a ballast that was supposedly tested as good. I want to have a neon shop check the bulb, but I can't figure out how to open the unit itself. Has anyone opened it up and how do you do it without breaking the lense itself? Thanks for your help.

You might be getting power to the ballast but that doesn't mean the ballast is doing it's job like it should. Search for a "glitch" ballasts. The way you describe the neon itself, it should be fine.

I have seen glitches website and I really don't want to buy an inverter if the neon bulb is the problem. I can't get it tested unless I can get it out.

Someone with a Gen 2 might know of a way to get in there to it but there might be other ways of testing without getting inside the lens. I have seen the question a few times but don't really remember anyone going inside.

Someone with a Gen 2 might know of a way to get in there to it but there might be other ways of testing without getting inside the lens. I have seen the question a few times but don't really remember anyone going inside.

I have been to the dark side. :shifty:

My neon hasn't worked since I got the car. I'm thinking about just getting one of those LED brake/turn signal strips and putting it inside the neon housing. Don't know how bright it would be, but it's worth a try.

Been there done that, look at the links I posted.

That just might work. I'm thinking about using one of those strips that you can get for your pickup that plugs into the tail/brake/turn signal harness and works as all three. Right now it's just a thought floating around in my head along with all the other pie in the sky notions I have that will probably never happen:D

my neon hasnt worked since i bought mine either, for me the less i can be seen from behind it doesn't matter. i want to fix it eventually, its at the bottom of my list, but i want to change to some kind of staggered or symmetrical blinker (the real word escapes me) kind of like the new stangs that blink in order. i believe it will have to be led's but all the lights will be addressed in the end.

My Neon work intermittently, sometimes I would get out at night and it would be on and sometimes it would be off? Got another allegedly working ballast but still nothing? Been to lazy to go deeper into it and see what problem is :confused:

First thing I would check is the wiring that runs along the trunk hinge.
Look for split wire, bad ground.
After that I would guess ballast.

so I. Took it to a neon sign shop and he used a hand held device to test it and it didn't work. I have another one that looks pretty grungy, but he tested that one ans as he tested each end they would light up. So now my plan is to cut them open and swap the bulbs. Not real sure if this will work.

Members online

Back