Need some help guys, electrical question.

Vivid LS

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I took my car to the car wash tonight and as I pulled in and the spray started washing the under carriage a bunch of stuff started going wrong.

1. Mileage is all lines
2. Speedometer does not work
3. Interior Lights do not work when I open the door
4. Power steering doesn't seem to be working.

Any ideas on what would cause this?

Thanks in advance.

when you say power steering "doesn't seem to be working" it it just harder to turn than normal or is it so hard to turn it seems the like you are going to split the steering wheel. if it's the first, I'd start tracing whatever module controls the VAPS system.

first place i'd start disconnect bat cable for a few minutes...then check pcm connectors, in the engine bay, passenger side, against the firewall.

another thought, items 1,2, and 4 are all related to the vehichle speed sensor. check that too

when you say power steering "doesn't seem to be working" it it just harder to turn than normal or is it so hard to turn it seems the like you are going to split the steering wheel. if it's the first, I'd start tracing whatever module controls the VAPS system.

first place i'd start disconnect bat cable for a few minutes...then check pcm connectors, in the engine bay, passenger side, against the firewall.

It is harder to turn than normal.

Keep the ideas coming guys.

that's all indicative of vehicle speed sensor except the lights. Did you check all your fuses? typically when more than one electronic component craps out (assuming #3 in not tied to the speed sensor) fuses are another great place to start. good luck!

Assuming it is the speed sensor. Is it something I can change myself or do I need to get it done. Where is it located?

It's gotta be on the side of the trans, I would think. Probably driver's side judging by my other cars. The force from the power washer might've knocked the connector loose.

all sound good... but check that fuse first; those dome lights could be on the same circuit. Plus, always check the easy stuff first:D

Good Luck!!

And if it is a fuse, then you need to trace where the water got in to short out your electrical...

It's gotta be on the side of the trans, I would think. Probably driver's side judging by my other cars. The force from the power washer might've knocked the connector loose.

+1

tail shaft area of the trans is the usual placement

I'm not sure what's different between 1st and 2nd Gen LSes, but on 2nd Gens, the power steering is controlled by the FEM (Front Electronic Module). There are a boatload of systems that go through the FEM, but I'm not sure about the dash. It's a place to start...

From what I understand, the LS uses the ABS pickups to read vehicle speed, and does not have a VSS, per se. I don't know if this is true of 1st Gen LSes, and AllData is less than helpful on the subject. (One of these days, I'll get around to ordering the blasted manual.)

The past few day the ABS and advancetrac lights are on and the parking brake light comes on sometimes too.

Way too many problems right now.

If any codes have been stored you can go to autozone or advance. they will pull your codes for free. If you want, you can buy an obd II scanner and do it yourself. The connection should be right underneath the front dash, by your gas leg. Not sure if the check engine light will come on for the problems you are having, also not sure if it stores codes for the problems you are having, worth a try though.

correct - speed is determined from the ABS sensors.

the FEM is in the driver's kick panel - not likely it got wet - unless you left the wiring pass-through panel (plug) open (under the carpet behind the brake pedal) - it is a firewall hole used for aftermarket wiring... water could get in through there....

the other issue could be the PCM wiring harness got wet. It's under the cabin air filter intake on the engine bay side - passenger side under the cowl....

I start the car this morning and everything is fine. I drove it 3 times with no problems.

No idea what happened but I am happy it went away.

I start the car this morning and everything is fine. I drove it 3 times with no problems.

No idea what happened but I am happy it went away.

Hopefully just a harness or sensor a little wet. Just needed some time to dry. CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR WINNINGS FOR THE MONTH. I got the newsletter. You always have my vote. I try to login at least once a month and vote for the LSs

Hopefully just a harness or sensor a little wet. Just needed some time to dry. CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR WINNINGS FOR THE MONTH. I got the newsletter. You always have my vote. I try to login at least once a month and vote for the LSs

Thanks. It felt like I had a second job trying to log on every day. New rotors for free were worth it though.

Thanks again for the help

almost fell off my chair when I saw this post

Vivid LS - did these problems ever come back?

My 01 LS has the EXACT same symptoms to this day, only difference is my tail and spoiler lights are involved as well. early on these problems would come and go when the car would get wet, however now none of the items in question (power steering pump, odometer, speedo or rear lights) are working right and the cars been sitting in my driveway for years.

Does anybody know what the component(s) are that directly effect all of these items at the same time? I would really love to get this car back on the road but refuse to take it to the local dealers because they are crooks.

209489_3_full.jpg

Vivid LS - did these problems ever come back?

My 01 LS has the EXACT same symptoms to this day, only difference is my tail and spoiler lights are involved as well. early on these problems would come and go when the car would get wet, however now none of the items in question (power steering pump, odometer, speedo or rear lights) are working right and the cars been sitting in my driveway for years.

Does anybody know what the component(s) are that directly effect all of these items at the same time? I would really love to get this car back on the road but refuse to take it to the local dealers because they are crooks.

He no longer owns the LS. He traded it in for a Benz.:)

keep in mind that if something gets wet once it will likely get wet again. And if it keeps getting wet you will likely end up with corrosion.

Now that I've typed this post I realize that it can be taken multiple ways. :rolleyes:

excellent observation indeed, however it would be superb to know what component it is that we're talking about is the underlying issue. :p

Members online

No members online now.
Back