My sub build

FrankLS

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok guys so the heat is no longer in the triple digits down here in Az so time to do some fine tuning on the build i got going. During this build Ive been working on a custom ported box for a single 12", the big three, Kinetiks battery, voltage meter, ipod adapter and all the little tips and tricks it took for me to complete this set up. It is not yet complete but its up, running and blasting.

Ill go ahead and start off with the box. Some of you may have already seen pictures of the early stages of this box, but ill start off from the beginning.

I was originally going to use this ebay box with an Alpine Type X and a Hifonics brutus amp. But after speaking to some audio guys here in the forum i decided to go with a DC XL 12 and an AQ 2200 which would require a bigger beefyer box.

Ebay Box.jpg

Ebay Box 2.jpg

How much does that XL weigh?

I have a bigboy sub in my ebay box and its holding up fine.

Any plans on selling that box??

I was thinking of getting the stepup of my sub in a 12" along with a ported box. Im running a single 10" sealed right now.

Also that amp is badass...i have the AQ1200 which is its little brother and it hasnt overheated or anything yet. Puts out more power than rated.

Me and my friend Joey got together and wrote up some plans. We didnt have the sub yet and they were back ordered but we had the dimensions online so we used that to build the box which would later bite us in the butt. So heres a few pictures of the new box. 3/4 mdf, 2.28 cubes at 34.99 hz.
The shape may seam a bit odd but we had to deal with the odd dimensions of the LS trunk and get as many cubes as possible while still allowing access to the spare tire.

1 (Medium).JPG

2 (Medium).JPG

3 (Medium).JPG

4 (Medium).JPG

So is this box for sale? If so, what is the total volume of air space and to what hz is the port tuned?

How much does that XL weigh?

I have a bigboy sub in my ebay box and its holding up fine.

Any plans on selling that box??

I was thinking of getting the stepup of my sub in a 12" along with a ported box. Im running a single 10" sealed right now.

Also that amp is badass...i have the AQ1200 which is its little brother and it hasnt overheated or anything yet. Puts out more power than rated.

Online they state its 54 lbs. But feels like a 60 pounder. Its a heavy one.

Yeah i still have the ebay box in the closet and takes up too much room. Ill sell it for $95 but you pay shipping. Still have to figure out how to ship this thing if i were going to sell it.
Yeah the AQ is a monster. Originally had ordered 2 DC 1.2K's but didnt want to deal with any glitches in sucha new amp, and also not much room for 2 amps so went with the single AQ.

+1.. looks good.. If you can... let me know how the big three goes (with a write up and pics please ). interested to see with the trunk in the back

So is this box for sale? If so, what is the total volume of air space and to what hz is the port tuned?

The Internal volume is about 1.5 cubes and the port size is 4 1/4" by 9". As far as tuning i dont know. You would have to cut the ports length in order to obtain your desired tuning.

+1.. looks good.. If you can... let me know how the big three goes (with a write up and pics please ). interested to see with the trunk in the back

Yeah the big three was a bit of work but deff got done. I go to work in a few hrs so may not get to that part of the build today.

U pulling the trigger Black? I am interested but hedging because I like the access my smaller box gives me to the spare tire. Not as pretty as what is here buy very functional. Hmmm. Decisions.....

Maybe.

But i need to get an ipod adapter first or a new double din.

Yeah the big three was a bit of work but deff got done. I go to work in a few hrs so may not get to that part of the build today.

nice... I have 2 MTX 12" with a BA 900rms amp and a 1frad cap going in after football season (pulling out of the truck). worried about these @#$@ty LS alternators keeping up!!!

Sorry guys im looking for a memory card that had the pictures about the bracing and the final work on the box. I actually think my girla has it at her house. May not be able to update until tomorrow but ill keep looking. Heres a little something so you wont get bored before tomorrow :D

IMGP3470 (Medium).JPG

U pulling the trigger Black? I am interested but hedging because I like the access my smaller box gives me to the spare tire. Not as pretty as what is here buy very functional. Hmmm. Decisions.....

The box im selling is the ebay box, and the ebay box does allow access to the spare.

wow, look at that big boy sub. How much does that monster weigh, 50+ lbs?

This is what I love about modern subs. One or two of them can do what 3 or 4 did back then.

The sub I'm running has been known to hit 130+ db on its own and on music.

Yeah its almost 60lbs. Weighs a lot more than the type R . Got a lot of pinched fingers when test fittng in the box! Its massive size with massive sound.

i have a 12 w7 im looking for a box for. i wrote the guy that makes the ebay box but he said he couldnt tune it in the 30s and would be around 40. im just unsure as far as the enclosure holding up the w7. anyone got any ideas as far as a box other than a prefab square ported box? id rather have one thats more flush and access to spare tire.

That bish is going to pound. I have a single DC lvl4 12 powered by a Directed D2400 (1200wrms @ 1 ohm), in a 2.25 ft^3 box tuned to around 34 hz. And it's loud. But I want to add a second one soon, or upgrade to an XL. It's only loud until you get used to it.

23728037.jpg

Pektel....eBay box there or one u had built? If eBay, what is the listing under?

Check out the threads he started. Its his own custom box.

Yep, I built the box. Though I didn't do any fancy angles, so I still have to pull the box to get to the spare. No biggie though. The 3/4" birch plywood is rather light compared to MDF, and the sub is under 40 pounds. So the whole sub/box combo is 60 pounds or less.

Well unfortunatley i cant find the pictures of when i was bracing the box. I basically just used 1 1/4 dowels from Home depot and cut them to length. Placed one from back to front in the box and another from top to bottom.

As i mentioned before the box was built without the speaker available to test fit. When the XL came in and we fitted it into the box, the driver of the speaker was making contact with the top of the box. Any other subwoofer would of cleared. Short of making a new box we decided to cut out that section of the box and apply a peice of MDF to patch up the hole we had made. we needed about 1/2" more of clearance and we acheived that by doing the cut out.

At first I was curious if it would affect the sound of the box but once we hooked it up, it does not dissapoint. Hard to imagine it being even louder :D.

This box we built is as big as you can possibly fit and allowing access to the spare.

-The box sits between both humps of the strut mounts with not even a 1/4" to spare.
-The height of the trunk decreases as it gets closer to the rear seat so we maxed out the height in the rear. We even had to slightly sand down the top rear corners of the box as to allow the box to SQUEEZE into the oval opening right behind the rear seat.
-The front of the box is angled forward on top, as to allow the spare tire to be accessed and gain a bit more cubic feet on the top.

So basically not much more space can be gained unless you remove the stock subs.

Few pictures of the cutout for the sub driver, and carpeting of the box. You can see a bit of the bracing on some.

A(Medium).JPG

B(Medium).JPG

C (Medium).JPG

D(Medium).JPG

E (Medium).JPG

F (Medium).JPG

G(Medium).JPG

Great work so far. Are you going to be using bolts for the wiring through the box?

Members online

No members online now.
Back