My new '95 Ivory pearl LSC!

So organized, I just stare at mine and wonder when I'm ever going to get around to actually working on it. Looks like you have a nice start.

Yeah, check the google docs link, replaced it with blue.

The list just helps me getting stuff done in time, better than trying to remember and forget things. I tried to pull some abs codes yesterday but the light didnt start to blink (used a small wire to jump the connections, the light was on but thats about it). Maybe because the battery was almost flat again, so Ill try it again later after letting the car run for a couple of minutes. That abs connector cap was a pita to remove.

Pulled the abs codes today, only got code 63... Guess I'll have to replace the abs pump motor then? Or could it be just the speed sensor?

Nice looking ride. Looks just like the one I sold a few months back. Look forward to seeing the progress on it and glad to see enthusiast overseas. Bet you get a lot of people that have no clue what it is. LOL

I think I will replace the Alternator asap, seems like its about to go. With what cars does the '95 Mark VIII share its alternator? It might be more likely for me to find one for a Mustang or Thunderbird over here, would save me the cost of overseas shipping.

Rockauto is only selling remanufacured units from AC Delco (2x, one is a Mitsubishi unit?), Motorcraft and Remy. In case I cant find anything here, which brand would you recommend?

Cool, I'll get one from motorcraft then once I know I definitely have to replace it.

Some updates, a little bit less red on the to do list:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15DU4nZ3DpSOKmoaG3_FjF0iwIHDSRs6NxV7S98Yq0yw/edit?usp=sharing

1.): I pulled the CEL fault codes again today. Dunno if I accidentally deleted old codes the last time, but if I counted right I only got 1 code this time. Since I might be just too dumb to count I uploaded a video for the guys who know the pattern. I think I got 111 twice, and after that one flash 524 twice. Heres the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8TWkMCUV1A

I also checked my front (clunking) and rear suspension (springs) today. The rear first:

2.): I want to replace the springs with bags and wanted to check whether I have to replace the solenoids as well or not. If I compare my solenoids with this http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mvAc4czvPrjNz31ZNUR-HGQ.jpg one for example, I notice that the red ring on top is missing. That red ring seems to be on the line now. I assume its not supposed to be like that and the solenoid is unusable now? Everythings thats under the red ring is completely missing on the passenger side as you can see in the photos:

drivers side:

Foto1112_zpsaef1ff00.jpg

Foto1113_zps0bd6b59b.jpg

Foto1114_zps41d05e66.jpg

Also, I thought thats just the wiring harness for the solenoid? For some reason it leaked a clear red liquid.

Foto1116_zps208f8582.jpg

passenger side:

Foto1117_zpsd49d7b70.jpg

Foto1118_zpsb80e7455.jpg

Foto1119_zpsc5b8f10b.jpg

I have about zero experience with airrides so maybe you can tell me whats reusable and what should be ordered with the springs.

3.): And the front. The previous owner (who also installed the rear springs) changed the upper control arm on both sides. I thought the clunking might be coming from the sway bar. Turns out one bolt of of the uca on the passenger side is barely attached to the chassis!:shifty: The nut thats supposed to be holding the bolt in place actually isnt really on the bolt, I dont even know how it stayed there, you can stick one finger right in there so I am surprised it didnt fell off yet!! Its hard to make a photo but you might get what I mean:

Foto1732_zps2d1b10f5.jpg

Its hardly touching the thread of the bolt.

EDIT: 4.): Ah yeah, and the exhaust seems to be leaking right out of the bottom of the passenger side cat, lets hope I wont have to replace anything there...

5.): Also, I checked my ABS again today. The ABS does actually work fine. Only when I start spinning the wheels and the traction control should start doing its job the ABS light comes on and the ABS isnt working anymore. I am pretty sure it didnt act like that before (ABS light would come on at 19mph no matter what). Any ideas why its doing that?

yeah, 111 and 524. the 524 is a latent code. means that whatever the problem is, its not occurring right now.

and you need an ABS pump.

Crap, guess those fault codes wont really help me with finding out the problem then.:Bang

Anyone here know if I can reuse the solenoids or should I order new ones with the rear bags? Also is AAS shipping to the UK?

reuse the solenoids with new orings and some silicon grease.

what is the problem that you are having?

Im getting terrible mileage, no matter if highway while cruising or town, and the car seems kinda weak at low rpm. Not sure if the exhaust leak at the passenger side cat is causing it. When I pulled the codes the first time a couple of weeks ago, the codes said the engine was running too lean. Not sure if I read them wrong (probably some of them), but I dont get them anymore.

exhaust leak at the passenger cat is post O2. so it wont affect sensor readings.

you probably have a vacuum leak.

I'll check the vacuum lines then.

What about the stuff in the red circle, isnt that supposed to be in the solenoid? Its missing on the other side and I guess its nothing you can order separately and would only come with a new selonoid?:confused:

dfbfd.jpg

dfbfd.jpg

Nah I mean its completely missing on the passenger side, including the metal ring and thinner piece of line next to it. Seems like someone just cut through the line. The photo above is taken on the drivers side. Is that stuff supposed to stay on the line or is it part of the solenoid, normally not detachable from it? It just seems like the line was ripped out of the solenoid damaging it. Thats why I am not sure if I should just get new solenoids. It would take ages to get new ones shipped from overseas should it turn out I cannot reuse mine.

Get new ones
They are a smc fitting it stays in the solenoid
Only the line should come out

Rear suspension parts are on the way, lets hope I wont have any trouble installing them. I will also get the car down to a garage tomorrow to get whats left of the 3rd cat replaced with an H-pipe, and hopefully to fix the leak in the passenger side cat.

I also tried to get the wiper arms off the car today. I moved the little metal clip at the base of the arm to the side but I am not sure if I have to remove it completely. I couldn't get the arm off the linkage, dont really wanna break anything either. Thats how far I could slide it out:

Foto1775_zps25e60473.jpg

Anyone got an idea to get the arm off the linkage?

It's cool to see a MK across the pond. This is kinda off topic, but how easily can you drive that big "yank tank" in the UK? Seems it would be to large for the roads and I bet parking is almost impossible. Did it have a valid MOT when you got it? How did it get overseas? I bet you get all kinds of looks when you have it out. There are all kinds of Brittish car lovers in my town, nice to see an American car lover in the UK. Keep up the good work.

Rear suspension parts are on the way, lets hope I wont have any trouble installing them. I will also get the car down to a garage tomorrow to get whats left of the 3rd cat replaced with an H-pipe, and hopefully to fix the leak in the passenger side cat.

I also tried to get the wiper arms off the car today. I moved the little metal clip at the base of the arm to the side but I am not sure if I have to remove it completely. I couldn't get the arm off the linkage, dont really wanna break anything either. Thats how far I could slide it out:

Foto1775_zps25e60473.jpg

Anyone got an idea to get the arm off the linkage?

Bring that clip waaaaay further down & don't be afraid to tug on it a bit. However that clip is still way up!

Thanks guys! :)

@LSC CE82: Yeah, Im pretty sure where aren't more than maybe a handful LSCs over here, and not many more base Mark VIIIs (I only know of 3 Mark VIIIs in total, one is mine, the other is a '97 base from another member on here before he sold it to some guy in London, the 3rd is currently on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LINCOLN-MK-VIII-4-6-QUAD-CAM-V8-AUTO-32-VALVE-TOP-CLASS-COUPE-MEGA-FSH-FILE-/281031732799?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item416ecbee3f). Unfortunately I didn't get the chance to drive it for too long yet, since I'm from Germany I try to register it there to bypass the INSANE insurance costs here in the UK. It did get a fresh MOT in December but it would never pass in Germany so I'll need to have some work done on it before I get back the next time. I'll try to get a quote for the exhaust work tomorrow.

I did get a lot views from others tho when I was driving down to the ferry terminal. :D I did drive my previous Mark VIII in Vienna before, and while its always hard to find a parking spot in the city, it never was impossible. People driving Q7s and Range Rovers have to park somewhere, too.

@UltimateSVT: Okay, I thought I'd just have to slide that clip out a bit, no pushing down or anything. I'll try again next time, thanks for the help!

Had the car on the lift today to get a quote for installing the rear airbags, its gonna be pretty expensive since the guys arent experienced with the car (no surprise).

They also found out that the clunking in the front is probably coming from the swaybar end links (I thought it was the upper control arm that was replaced by the previous owner), they'd replace those for free when they swap out the springs.

Id get Moog # K8635 swaybar links from Rockauto for 33$ the piece, not sure if the Motorcraft ones are worth the additional 17$? I think I might as well replace the lower control arms at the same time and get the Moog # K80055 and # K80053 ones from the Thunderbird since they are cheaper than the Mark VIII ones? Also whats the difference between these (problem solvers) and the ones for 5$ more which seem to be the same?

Also getting the Moog # K8680 strut rod to lca bushings for 17,52$. They also have Moog strut rod to frame bushings with "improved" design # K8659, anyone got experience with them or should I leave mine alone for now? I read they've been crap but Im not sure if these were older ones.

If I am not mistaken thats also all the stuff BAD97LSC bought for his car. Leave a comment if theres a reason to not buy those parts or the prices seem too expensive.

[ INSANE insurance costs here in the UK. It did get a fresh MOT in December but it would never pass in Germany so I'll need to have some work done on it before I get back the next time. I'll try to get a quote for the exhaust work tomorrow.

I hear that MOT, insurance, taxes and the cost of petrol are horrid over there. Still, thanks for representing the Lincoln name. Enjoy.

Members online

No members online now.
Back