My new 8...

98lincmk7lsc

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I got myself a new daily driver car today. This car will be replacing my 97 Mark VIII.

It's a 2009 Pontiac G8 GT, Stryker Blue Mettalic paint, fairly rare--one of 1,111. 49k miles and happens to already have a Magnaflow stainless steel cat back exhaust. They were asking $21,986, but I was able to talk them down to $20,500, AND they're ordering me a few items that were broken/missing.

I don't have any GOOD pics yet, but here are a couple I took once we got it home today. It's not perfect, but it's just little stuff. I drove it 100 miles home today and had the cruise control set at about 75, and averaged 28.6 mpg the whole way. Not bad for a 355hp 6.0 liter engine in a car weighing about two tons.

photo 2-3.jpg

photo 1-3.jpg

photo 3-3.jpg

Man, I am too used to buying cheap cars that 20K seems a lot for just a car. Congrats on your new car though. What's gonna happen with your 97 Mark VIII now?

nice i like those...but id go with a GTO.
I would have too, if I wanted an older car, and didn't have a family...
Man, I am too used to buying cheap cars that 20K seems a lot for just a car. Congrats on your new car though. What's gonna happen with your 97 Mark VIII now?
Yeah, me too, but I got a REALLY good job about a year ago after I got out of the Navy, and figured it was time for something nice. :)

I'll be removing the engine from the 97 (80k junkyard engine--very strong--to put in my 98), and the rest of the car will be going to a local guy here in town that wants it.
one four door. wouldn't hurt my feelings if I had to drive
Exactly! My wife said that if I wanted a new car, it would have to have 4 doors. Lol.

Awesome ride man, I was looking at those before I bought my truck cause I needed four doors myself.

-Alan

Nice, I kicked around the idea of buying one of these or a gto before I bought my mark..but then I realized I didn't want a car payment..plus I deffinetly wouldn't want to drive it in the winter.

Thanks guys!

It's a 6-speed automatic. The manual was only available in the GXP model and they're still quite expensive--on average, about $10k more, unless it has a butt-load of miles. It would be nice to have a manual, but being a daily driver and how my route to work is, I think it would get old after a while. I find myself glad I have an automatic, much more often than wishing I had a manual...

I wasn't really thrilled at the idea of having a car payment either (haven't had one since 2007), but we only got a loan for 10k of it. The rest was paid in cash. We plan on paying the loan off very aggressively though. It's a 3-year loan, but we've set an unofficial goal of paying it off in 1 year.

Damn thats a sick car man. A friend of mine that graduated a couple year's back got one in red. They are pretty quick stock let alone modded. What color's the interior?

Sweet! Love that color...If I had a bucket load of cash I would paint my 8 that color!

My transmission on my 8 needs work...noise that I couldn't diagnose when I visited you is coming from inside the transmission. I guess I will be learning more about the 470RW tranny :confused:!

Glad you found a reliable replacement.:cool:

Sweet G8!

Those cars respond VERY well to the usual bolt ons. Get gears, stall, full exhaust and a tune and you can net yourself a solid gain for cheap (and keep the wife happy). It will be a different animal.

Damn thats a sick car man. A friend of mine that graduated a couple year's back got one in red. They are pretty quick stock let alone modded. What color's the interior?

The interior color is "Onyx". It's black leather with perforated inserts. Very nice.

Sweet G8!

Those cars respond VERY well to the usual bolt ons. Get gears, stall, full exhaust and a tune and you can net yourself a solid gain for cheap (and keep the wife happy). It will be a different animal.

I don't know if I'd call it cheap....but you're right, they do respond to bolt-ons very well.

My buddy with his bolt-on G8 is a stall converter away from running 11s. It's ridiculous. And that's with measley 3.45 gears.

You know they sell the Caprice Classic kit for this car. You have to find it though. Your car is the Caprice Classic in the Middle East & Europe. I'd swap to the Caprice look just so it would be the sickest 6 liter sleeper around.

Check out this guy's pictures. I think he's from India

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/dm8943/tags/caprice/

ehh...it's not bad looking, but I prefer the look of the G8 more. I've actually seen a few of those overseas, back when I was in the Navy.

So.....this car is awesome! I love it. I've gotten to drive it a little bit more (by myself, not with the wife and kid....) and it's great. It's really nice to feel what low end torque is like. lol. And it's sooooo smooth. I got on the highway today on the way to work, and before I knew it I was driving 95.

I'm so used to driving the 97 with it's driveshaft vibes, that I could tell what speed I was going just by how loud it was. I literally can't tell with this car. 100 mph feels like 50. It's amazing.

ehh...it's not bad looking, but I prefer the look of the G8 more. I've actually seen a few of those overseas, back when I was in the Navy.

So.....this car is awesome! I love it. I've gotten to drive it a little bit more (by myself, not with the wife and kid....) and it's great. It's really nice to feel what low end torque is like. lol. And it's sooooo smooth. I got on the highway today on the way to work, and before I knew it I was driving 95.

I'm so used to driving the 97 with it's driveshaft vibes, that I could tell what speed I was going just by how loud it was. I literally can't tell with this car. 100 mph feels like 50. It's amazing.

Congrats! New car is always fun.
I doubt youll be driving your Mark VIII anymore. Newer cars are just so much more pleasant to drive. I sold mine a few weeks after I got my Lexus. It was just useless in every regard and I could not justify keeping it.
We wanted a family as well and a 4 door car is just more practical. My little girl is comfy in a back seat.

Members online

Back