My Motor Build Thread

Finally finished the rings. I installed the the rods, not this portion is done.
86501b5b.jpg

e2188e54.jpg

2da20f2b.jpg

Excellent info on your build. I will be following this thread straight through. My engine is reaching 200,000 miles. Next year I am going to do a street/strip rebuild. Research is the key.

New month, so I decided to assemble the rotating assembly I cleaned up the block, and wiped everything down.

100_1418.jpg

After I cleaned the bearing saddles, it is time to install the upper bearing halves. This part is easy, but it can be a bit confusing, because with the engine upside down. The caps are the lower.

100_1423.jpg

After I got the bearings installed I lathered them with Moroso Moly Paste. The reason I am using this paste, is because my build is slow. It may not see the inside of a Mark for a while.

100_1424.jpg

Now in goes the crank.

100_1425.jpg

Nice and slow see....:shifty: That's the way you gotta do it.
100_1426.jpg

100_1427.jpg

Now comes the caps. I lubed them up inside. It was getting hot!:p

100_1428.jpg

Got the crank all torqued down to spec today. Everything is all nice and tight. tomorrow I will start putting in the pistons.

36dec12c.jpg

3f1fdbdd.jpg

Looks good. I am a follower on this one. Next year, I will do mine. So this is like a tutorial. Keep us in the loop.

I'm going to guess you already did this but I wanted to mention it any how as this is a major build that must go right. I have assembled many engines over the years, and I always checked the clearances on all my bearing surfaces (with Plasti Gage) as a final check as it doesn't take much time to do and is cheap. One tight bearing shell or other blip could ruin an otherwise great machining and assembly job. I trusted my machinist (I also having been one), but always double checked as it is cheap to fix at this point. Just sharing, keep up the nice work, "Cleanliness is Godly".

I'm going to guess you already did this but I wanted to mention it any how as this is a major build that must go right. I have assembled many engines over the years, and I always checked the clearances on all my bearing surfaces (with Plasti Gage) as a final check as it doesn't take much time to do and is cheap. One tight bearing shell or other blip could ruin an otherwise great machining and assembly job. I trusted my machinist (I also having been one), but always double checked as it is cheap to fix at this point. Just sharing, keep up the nice work, "Cleanliness is Godly".

I'm checking all my clearances. This has been a slow road for me. Checking and triple checking. :p

How close would you go for bearing clearances?
I have seen some so tight they used bore gauges on mod engines.

Last night, I finished putting the spirolocks on to lock the rods and pistons together. This was my first time put in those spirolocks, and they were a PITA.
100_1433.jpg

100_1436.jpg

Long night last night. With all of the extreme temperatures we all ar having, I dont do much work on my engine untill 8pm. Last night I got a lot done. It is now a shortblock. Got the pistons in.
Got the block all cleaned and prepared.

101_4235.jpg

Nice clean cylinder bore...

101_4236.jpg

I got my rods prepared for the bearings...

101_4237.jpg

101_4238.jpg

101_4239.jpg

All now nice and tight according to torque specs. :)

101_4240.jpg

used mololy on the turkey feathers on the j-79 in the f4s have you checked your torque on the crankshaft rotation Greg i don't have the specs but just wondering. stay cool guy jd

Before I button up the bottom, I am wondering if I should put on a windage tray. Do these help out? Should I get one?

Depends on your rpms you plan on running. I put one in mine. You have to modify the stock scrapers on the pan and the pickup tube.

Edit: The reason I asked about lube was I didn't see any! Usually I have it smeared everywhere. LOL :D

I don't plan on a lot of high RPM's all the time. I may not get it. I do however need to order a Cobra oil pump and pick up tube assembly and this timing set. The numbers are adding up quick!:p
M-6004-54SVT.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back