My Motor Build Thread

GMAN

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
This process is going to take a bit, and I am not taking it lightly. My goals for this build is........Hell, I don't know what my goals are. I just want a potent engine with unlimited power potential. One thing I am not, is a weekend racer, so I am not to concerned there too much. My block heads and crank are already at the machine shop. The block check out good, The C heads only needed one exhaust cam, so I am good there. Today I got a heck of a deal on these.
002-2.jpg

I am now focusing on the pistons. The builder said the pistons checked out good, but I am thinking about a different piston. There are so many to choose from. Standard bore, .20 over. I welcome any and all recommendations. :)

Hard to recommend anything if you don't have a set goal.

I was recommended Diamond pistons FWIW. Common sizes are stock bore, 0.020 over and 0.030 over.

What compression are you looking for? Naturally aspirated or boosted? Stock stroke or a stroker kit? Any headwork? What rpms are you planning to run?

A common mistake is to throw forged internals at it without foresight. You end up with a stock build with heavier rotating parts and actually reduced potential.

If your block cleans up with just a hone, stick with standard bore. I usually recommend going with the smallest needed overbore to save material if you ever have to rebuild using the same block again. You using ARP2000 rod bolts?

You know, I know, that is the hardest part to figure out. If I have one goal in this build it is to be at 400hp, or close to it. I need to choose a piston that is a good medium N/A and boost.

If your block cleans up with just a hone, stick with standard bore. I usually recommend going with the smallest needed overbore to save material if you ever have to rebuild using the same block again. You using ARP2000 rod bolts?

Yes, I have ARP2000 on order from Summit.

if you are going c head why not install a stock blower ?

In case you might not know, there is a sub-forum in the Turbo Forum that is specific to mod motors. There is a plethora of very worthwhile info to be found there.

KS

Plan the car, not just the engine.
You need a goal for the car.
What do you want out of it.

It will save you in the long run if you can see in your mind what you want the car to do.
That will give you a road map on what to build.

I would stay with flat top pistons to get all the compression you can, especially if you go boosted (with in 20lbs), and as mentioned earlier, standard bore if you can.

Those Probe pistons still put compression in the high 9s. I'm pretty shy of high compression and high boost, I have similar Probe pistons with a 18cc dish that are in the low 8:1 range.

sounds great but what is the plan to keep that power from spinning in smoke from the rear tires?

I am leaning towards an Eaton build. If I get those pistons, I should be able to get to 440hp with around 8lbs of boost.

If you mean RWHP, I think you'd need to cram a couple more PSI into it, but crank HP might be in that range.

High compression is what these motors thrive on.

Meh. Boost and RPM is what these motors really thrive on. But, assuming GMAN's not planning on anything more than an M112 later on, higher compression is good. As for me, if I were sticking with the P1SC forever I'd probably have gone with less dish, but I'll probably go with an F1* in the future.

I decided on some .20 over JE pistons, dished, 45cc, 9.3 compression. Now I need to pick an oil pump. There are so many out there. I am thinking of staying with ford on this.

I dropped two of the pistons off with the machine shop to use as reference during the boring. I decided to do a test fit with the rest. :p
001.jpg

I will be following this thread that is for sure.I want to do a similar build when I finally get to that point.

Setting Ring Gap

Working on setting my ring gap. Need some opinions on the best ring gap, and to make sure the math is correct. There are two choices I've been looking at.

1. High-perf. Street-Strip Bore X .0045 (3.57X.0045=.016)
  2. Street Moderate Turbo/Nitrous Bore X .050 (3.57X.0050=.01785)

Does my math look right?

There is a lot of information out there. I did confirm my math, so I am going with a .018 gap on the top ring, and .020 gap for the 2nd ring. I am curious why the 2nd ring gap is larger than the top ring? According to the chart I have these are minimum gap per inch of bore.

I am curious why the 2nd ring gap is larger than the top ring?

The way I understand it, a larger 2nd ring gap assures the pressure trapped between the rings escapes by exiting to the crankcase as blowby which is preferable to trying to exit past the combustion ring.

The way I understand it, a larger 2nd ring gap assures the pressure trapped between the rings escapes by exiting to the crankcase as blowby which is preferable to trying to exit past the combustion ring.

You are right, did a lot of research today. I decided to go with .020 on the top ring and .024 on the 2nd ring. JE shorted me two oil rings, so now I have to call them tomorrow. :mad:

Members online

No members online now.
Back