My fix for shot rear shock mount

2002WRXSTi

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I hate these things cause the rattle is so annoying! I take my friends out and they all ask me what feels like it's trying to come threw the back seat?!

I tried the rubber bushing from the Help Rack at Auto Zone but they disintegrated:mad:
Shottopmountinside.jpg

Sorry the pics suck but all I had was my cell phone and it ain't a IPhone or HTC. Anyway you can see how the Help Rack bushing looks like a O ring on the top of the mount.

Dropped the shock out of the fender well to see how much of the lower bushing was alive. Yeah nothing left...
Shotmountfanderwell.jpg

My friend is making new Urethane motor mounts for Jet Ski's so he gave some of his test pieces so I could use them for upper bushings. So far they seem like they will last a lot longer than the rubber pieces I used before :confused:
Newuppershockmount.jpg

Anybody know what the thread is on the top shock mount? I want to put a jam nut on top of the one so it doesn't back off like it seemed to do with the rubber bushings?

As long as you got ALL of the old bushings out it should be ok, most of us have to burn the old bushings out of the mount,
as long as you tighten the nut down, as it appears you did in the pic...looks fine

I was wondering about that sensor that came mounted on them from factory, I no longer have air ride, and I removed those sensors that sit on the shock too..don't think I need em anymore

you know those complete mounts are only $31.41 plus shipping?? and if you got it retail locally retail is 40.27 plus your local tax.

Or you can just burn the old bushings out and use the supplied bushings that come with a new shock for free...$40 or free...$40 or free....hmmmmmm

As long as you got ALL of the old bushings out it should be ok, most of us have to burn the old bushings out of the mount,
as long as you tighten the nut down, as it appears you did in the pic...looks fine

I was wondering about that sensor that came mounted on them from factory, I no longer have air ride, and I removed those sensors that sit on the shock too..don't think I need em anymore

When I used the lame Help Rack rubber replacements it lasted a month and started rattling like mad again. Plus when I took the back seat out to put in the urethane Jet Ski bushing the nut was backed off about a half an inch?

Wasn't sure if it was because the bushing deteriorated that made it back off or if it had backed off and that is what destroyed the bushing?

I can say this tho, it's like I just bought a new car it so smooth and quiet to drive now :cool:

I know that feeling. Mine was so damn annoying and then I bought some SS shock mounts with all the hardware from Jamie for $30 and then bought new shocks too and then it was so peaceful. That thing would rattle even if there were no bumps in the road.

Monroe Sensatrac's are doing good so far but I would like to get new rubber bushings because what came with the shocks didn't look like they would last very long. I just wanted it to be quiet in there.

like you said you dont need anything special just burn out the
old bushings and use what came with the shocks

also if you have a sensor on the top of the shock its a 93 and
had the adjustable shocks from the factory

and for mr 2002WRXSTi you need to fix the one wheel wonder

There's really no use in me keeping the sensors is there?

There's really no use in me keeping the sensors is there?
No. I told you that a few times. They are not sensors, they are solenoids (kinda) that just turned the shocks shart fot a firmer (smaller hole) setting.

Here is the first problem ... Friends don't let friends purchase at Autozone.

True but in a quick need for parts I had to :(

That and what else is there anymore? The Pep Boys is another couple miles and well is that place any better :rolleyes:

those shock sensors are not air ride related but anti-dive related in the case of having to stand on your brakes real hard in emergency situations, you dont need them at all. only 93 and early production 94's had them after that they scrapped them.

Members online

No members online now.
Back