My 95 to 99 Tranny Swap

mistermaclincoln

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Well, I found a 99 Crown Vic Trannny and it has the longer tail shaft and I wanted to know if I can just use the tail shaft off the older 95 tranny? This was a complete rebuilt tranny. I have pictures of the case and part numberr so if someone can confirm that this came out of a Crown Vic I would appreacite it.

DSCN2215.jpg

DSCN2216.jpg

DSCN2218.jpg

I thinking I will paint it dark gray. Let me know your thoughts.

DSCN2215.jpg

DSCN2216.jpg

DSCN2218.jpg

Short answer, No. The tailshaft is different between the 2 transmissions. The only way to remove it and replace it with the Mark part is to come out the front of the trans. Much easier said than done.

Thats a rebuild? Hate to say it, but it does not look like it....

Yeah, it is a little dirty and I was a little worried but I trust the guy who sold it to me. So, you just blew my plan up. So, will I have to buy a shorter version foe this tranny. I really don't want to have to cut down my DS an inch.

FWIW, I got screwed years ago when buying a trans (brand new), that came too long. It was much less hassle to simply have a custom shaft made up.

My suggestion is if you want to use that trans due to being a fresh rebuild, get a used shaft from the boneyard and have it chopped.

Well, I have a Dennys driveshaft and it looks like even though I don't like it, I will just have to have it redone for the longer tailshaft. Thanks for your input.

Seth

Yes, I am doing the full meal deal. If I can't find what I am looking for I will explore the shorting of the D/S which will be the last resort.

Price was good but now it's either find one with a short tail shaft or price having a DS shortened, welded and balanced. Finding one with a shorter tail is going to be much cheaper on you. If he has as many as you say he does, he should have one and it doesn't have to be rebuilt. I got a 98 for $250 with 68K on it and it worked perfectly.

Members online

No members online now.
Back