Muscle car question

brentalan

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm in the market for an old 1970 Mercury Cyclone. I found a car I like, I had it inspected and the inspector found a damaged frame rail. The seller states that it was not properly tied down to a storage trailer and the damage occured in transit. He says it's not a big deal (obviously). I don't mind that there is some minor damage, no one will even see this underneath. My real concern is the structure of the car. Does this look safe to you guys or should I pass and keep looking??? Repairable?

Oh - BTW - this is back behind the rear axle if that makes a difference. The rest of the frame is perfect.

CIMG0629.JPG

Last edited:
Damn! That's quite a dent!

Haha @ the seller saying it's not a big deal - good for him! - he can fix it! :)

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Toast... WOW.... if you saw the stuff I have fixed OMFG....

You said this dent is behind the axle. Is it behind all suspension points, if so then not that big of a deal, if the price is right. IMO

i agree if its past the suspension, easy fix, worth buying if that car is hard to find.

Safety

If this were between the front and rear wheels, I'd say PASS or REPAIR WITH REINFORCEMENT PLATES. If it's rearward of the rear axle, then it's only a problem when you raise the vehicle with a bumper jack from the rear.

If the car is a keeper, I'd buy it and repair the bend.

How the hell did that get there anyway?

Well, the seller claims there was a problem with a tie-down on a trailer. I'm not really buying that. I took the pics to a body man I trust and he said that it was definitely rear-ended at one time. It may be repairable, but this guy restored it so I suspect he knows more than he is letting on. It's a shame because the car is gorgeous but life's tough finding a rare car on the Internet, I don't want to get bamboozled.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... I'm going to dig through my pics of the Cuda we did... you guys would probably wrap it in hazard tape around it and lie in the fetal position on the garage floor if you think that tiny bit of damage is a big deal...

i say you sell the car to me for $100......doesn't look like a super big deal....fix it if you want or just enjoy it

If this car is to be a driver, priced right, the fix is would be worth the effort. If this is an investment or for shows... skip it. Let the value of the VIN number be your guide.

I would be more concerned with how it happened, and the fact the seller didn't make you aware of it.

What else could be wrong he isn't telling you?
Thats alot of damage for being straped down wrong.
I would get it looked at again, taking extra time to measure every inch of the frame.
I would want to make sure nothing else is bent twisted that can only be found by a close inspection on a rack.

There are some dishonest a$$holes out there.

Yeah, that's my concern Ford Nut. I'm thinking he's not telling me something. The car was completely restored by him. It's just not adding up. Thanks to everyone who replied, I really appreciate it!

Sorry I'm so late Brent.

IF that is the only damage and is behind the suspension attachment points, then dont worry about it.

See ya, in a few days.

Mike

Well to follow up I did NOT but the car in the picture above. A few of you asked for pics of the car I DID buy so here it is:

156176_frt of veh.JPG

156176_left frt.JPG

156176_left rear.JPG

Members online

No members online now.
Back