MkVIII rear window ext. vinyl wrinkling problem

Click

LVC Member
Reaction score
Every '93-'96 MkVIII seems to have the same problem I have with a wrinkled exterior rear window seal. Has anyone found a reasonable way to fix this?

the only complete fix is to replace the glass - not an inexpenive propisition as they run about $1300 ~

Some have tucked the trim under, others have cut it off, and a few haave glued it. But the only real fix im sorry to say is to replace it

Joeychgo said:
the only complete fix is to replace the glass - not an inexpenive propisition as they run about $1300 ~

Some have tucked the trim under, others have cut it off, and a few haave glued it. But the only real fix im sorry to say is to replace it

Having the same issue.. Just gave Max a call yesterday to find out the window alone runs just under a grand through him. And thats not even installed, guess it is time to brake out that exacto knife.

:Bang :Bang :Bang

If you have full coverage, plus glass, just take a tree branch and throw it thru the back window after a big storm and just say that it broke off and fell thru the window.....make sure to park the car under the same tree that you swiped the branch from.......

wait a min ..are u guys talking about the black moulding on the outside of the window that surrounds the glass so water n stuff dont get in...hmm i have something like that formin on my rear window like wripples and a wave to it...does weathering /sun exposure do this?

...and replacing the glass. :eek2: .
thats extream i tink,if theres nothing really wrong with it,unless u have a crack or chips or something yaknow;/

y would changing the glass have anything to do with the moulding ,wouldn't changing the moulding be less expensive opposed to replacing the glass if it is fine..i dont understand;/

Last edited:
unfortunately, replacing the glass is the only way to fix the trim - they are a one piece unit.

I cut mine 4-5 years ago and people thought I was crazy, untill they saw it and saw how good it actually looked.

Here is a pic of a trimmed one...

molding.jpg

Wow! I was just curious if anyone else was having this problem, so I thought I would post a thread...and sure enough one already exists. I tried 3 diff glues, none worked. Guess im cutting it.

1wykdmk8 said:
If you have full coverage, plus glass, just take a tree branch and throw it thru the back window after a big storm and just say that it broke off and fell thru the window.....make sure to park the car under the same tree that you swiped the branch from.......

can i use the branch for other things HE HE HE

how did you guys cut it , just with a knife and a straight edge

I cut mine on my old green car, but really did not like it to tell you the truth. Now, it looked better than what it did when it was wrinkling, but I think it looks like crap. I was about to use the branch thing before I sent it to Texas....but decided to wait until it came back from Texas before I did.......just in case something else happened to it on the trip down/back. Just my $.02.

I just used a utility knife to cut the trim off, but just be careful not to scratch the paint at the bottom of the trim.

rear window trim wrinkled

driller said:
Here is a pic of a trimmed one...

molding.jpg

Certainly looks like you did a 'trim' job alright.

How exactly did you do it, with a utility knife or ? Put anything underneath to protect paint? How wide did you leave it? thx.

:wave

You know, I read this whole thread and I can't believe nobody asked this:

Does the window leak after you cut the seal or tuck it in?

Mine's almost perfect - but that's because the car was whacked from behind sometime in it's life, so it all got replaced. ;)

Members online

Back