Mclaren grilles

What BigRigLs said makes the most sense. Im new to this site and dont know Alax7 personally you probably do good work but if you are replicating a coveted item and try to sell it for the same price like couple people have said then that doesnt make any sense. As long as your covering cost and making money on it why not. Post a sample of one you make first then talk price

I'm in no matter what the cost. $100-150 sounds great but if it's a little more I dont care!

I, like a few others, am a bit confused. Is this part going to mount to the top piece (upper part that is usually chrome) of the grille? So if I had a gen1 grille assembly, Could I just take off the black waterfall part and replace it with your part? Looking forward to this alot! Props on helping out the LVC community once again!

I didn't low ball you I wasnt trying to hurt your feelings, you asked what I would pay I won't pay more that 50 bucks for some plastic. I have no clue why people are paying 250 for them when they come up. For 250 I would want way better materials. It's not huge part cf grilles for bimmers sell for that.

And it's not free and I don't just use my uncles tools I pay for metal and I pay for time to let me use it. Don't get pissy because some people have access to stuff you don't.

Anyways it's cool what your doing and all but I was just answering your question.

I'd pay $125-150 for one if that ended up being the price range.

I find it amusing that SO many people like the mclaren now. When I bought mine (before they were discontinued) people really preferred the gen 2 LSE grille over the McLaren. Now it seems the opposite.

Alright, but for the mclaren it will be the whole grill or no?

The mclaren is a one piece grille, so yes, I will be making the whole mclaren grille, no air bubble

Agreed, Sell them one at a time on Ebay and see what you can get for them. Like Drizz said, they go for a lot. You are doing everyone a favor by making these since no one else makes them anymore. There is no reason you should ever lose money on these grilles. Good on you for being willing to dedicate your time and money to provide this service to the LS community!!

Thanks

Alex, we talked in PM already about this before you posted this thread.

Yes, I'm on board and money is not the problem unless it goes past 200$ (or so)

My only concern (no disrespect) is the quality.
I don't want to see any little pits from air bubbles!

I know you do good work but at that money it's going to have to be perfect.
Mind you if final product is a primered stage, one could always fill in any air bubble pits.

Seriously, no disrespect, I'm on board ...

No disrespect taken

I wont sell grilles with bubbles in them. Thats why it took me so long to make these clear parts, I will try and make good parts for you guys.

Ooops, just re-read this, now I'm confused (doesn't take much really)

... not the whole grille ...

~ I think we are going to need pics now of your intentions.

(sorry, I'm blonde AND canadian!) <-- yes, I just did !!!

:D

The cdc grille is not a one piece grille. It was 3 pieces, top surround which was similar or probably was the gen1 top piece form the grille, lower grille support, and the mesh. There are plenty gen1 grilles out there so I don't need to make that part, I'm not going to buy weaved mesh again, so the only part of the cdc grille no longer made would be the lower grille support. I'll work on this today and post pictures of it too.

What BigRigLs said makes the most sense. I'm new to this site and dont know Alax7 personally you probably do good work but if you are replicating a coveted item and try to sell it for the same price like couple people have said then that doesnt make any sense. As long as your covering cost and making money on it why not. Post a sample of one you make first then talk price

I'll definitely post pictures up.

I'm in no matter what the cost. $100-150 sounds great but if it's a little more I dont care!

I, like a few others, am a bit confused. Is this part going to mount to the top piece (upper part that is usually chrome) of the grille? So if I had a gen1 grille assembly, Could I just take off the black waterfall part and replace it with your part? Looking forward to this a lot! Props on helping out the LVC community once again!

It probably wont be more than and thanks.

I didn't low ball you I wasn't trying to hurt your feelings, you asked what I would pay I won't pay more that 50 bucks for some plastic. I have no clue why people are paying 250 for them when they come up. For 250 I would want way better materials. It's not huge part cf grilles for bimmers sell for that.

And it's not free and I don't just use my uncles tools I pay for metal and I pay for time to let me use it. Don't get pissy because some people have access to stuff you don't.

Anyways it's cool what your doing and all but I was just answering your question.

My feelings aren't hurt but I didn't see how you post about borrowing your uncles stuff was the same as this. I do understand you wouldn't pay more than 50 for one because you have everything you need to make one in your backyard. It is cool to have tools at your disposal, I have a lot of tools, but they are limited to handheld tool and power tools, which many people dont even have, but nothing as fancy as plasma cutter with cad.

No offense at all was taken and my feelings weren't hurt. What you will do and I will do is not the same. I can go and use that computer honeycomb sheet found in the trash or that can be bought for a few bucks and make a grille for under 15 bucks but thats not what I'm doing here. Its like if you ask me what I would pay for an oil change, I would answer that I wouldn't, but that doesn't mean those shops that change oil should do it for free to match my price.

I just asked what people would pay for one to see if I would break even.

Obviously, if people could make their own for 45-50 bucks, they wouldn't be asking around for them so much.

I find it amusing that SO many people like the mclaren now. When I bought mine (before they were discontinued) people really preferred the gen 2 LSE grille over the McLaren. Now it seems the opposite.

They're just different looks, maybe the crowd back then wanted a different look for their ls. The lse is just elegant and clean while the mclaren is a sporty grille.

Guys, these grilles wont go for 200-250, I'll let ebay decided what they sell at, but for you guys I'm sure it will be like 125 for a grille.

I'd pay $125-150 for one if that ended up being the price range.

+1. This car will be a toy/project when I get out of college, so this will be a nice sporty touch. This is a good solution for me to not pay $300 for a real (used) one.

About how many do you think will be available to LVCer's assuming one grille each? Just wondering if some might miss out.

It was 3 pieces, top surround which was similar or probably was the gen1 top piece form the grille, lower grille support, and the mesh

How does the cdc lower part of the surround attach to the top of the gen1 grille?

It doesn't. There is a little tab that slides under the top part of the grille.

Gotcha. And then the lower part of the cdc has the clips that will actually fasten it and keep it in place I'm guessing?

Gotcha. And then the lower part of the cdc has the clips that will actually fasten it and keep it in place I'm guessing?

Yup. I'd take a picture but my daughter is at work now.

Maybe, depending on what the price comes out to in the end, what the final product looks like, and if I'm in the exclusive club that gets dibs on the replica lol.

I'm with you Pete. Hell I sold my McLaren grille for $50ish years ago.

I would like one for a spare and wouldn't mind paying 150 not a bad price IMO i can just imagine the labor and cost etc. seems fair to me COUNT ME IN :D

Funny you guys are talking about the cdc grille kit not sure if this is one or not but LSE was parked out front of my job never seen anything like it around here for sure. Had a full gen 1 Lse kit in autumn red?? Had the Lincoln gold lettering Badges and the lincoln emblems were gold even on the center caps..So the owner for the vehicle comes out and we start talking about her Ls and she has no clue about the car doesnt even know what size engine not a clue?? Tells me she paid 2900 and then she shows me the interior and almost vomited :eek: trash everywhere and it smelt like there was cheese burgers under the seat...absolout disgust.....sorry for the bad cell phone pic.

IMAG0024.jpg

Yup, thats the cdc bumper with cdc lower mesh insert and cdc grille. I think the cdc bumper is more rare than the oem lse bumper.

It seems that the 10-15 of them idea might already be booked, but I would also be interested in one of these if there are any left.

@ Alex,

I had my grille off yesterday, just to clean up around and behind it but mostly
to get familiar with whats all involved.

Now I was looking, and this would require some work, but what about making
a new type of design on this Mclaren grille ?

I see room for about 1 inch max. insert.

The standard Mclaren grille are flush with the top chrome piece,
how about something that would have the mesh inset by an inch ?

that would look cool ...
and keep you out of trouble as far as reproducing patent products.

Why ? cause it then wouldn't be a direct copy.

I know it would take extra work with shaping and moulding but it's an idea.

I think the mesh grille would look best if it sat inwards a bit as apposed
to flush with the top piece.

PS:
Do be mindfull, reproducing direct copies could legally land you in some deep waters.
Keeping in mind, just one slight differance and it becomes a no-issue.

~ again, no disrespect intended.

Another Idea,

shave away completely the entire Lincoln Emblem and go beveled as the rest of
the top, leaving a straight look across the top with a full mesh grille.

inset by a little and then owners could color match the top piece, paint the insert
black and "Hello" the 2012 McAlex Grille is born.

~ sorry for the repetitive posts.

Could wait 10 or so more years and not have to worry about the patent. The anticipation would kill many.

Have we been spammed? This response has been on multiple threads following the site being down for a few hours.

what about making
a new type of design on this Mclaren grille ?

I was actually thinking about designing my own grille and making them, but from a little searching and thinking about it, its pretty hard to make a good looking grille for the ls.

I remembered a chop kleenls did a while back and it looked sick. I remembered the grille looked good too, but when I found it recently, it turned out its basically a cdc grille with a litle extra piece below the emblem, so thats a no go.

This grille here,

Red_LS_kit.jpg

I'll see what I can come up with, if anything at all, but that will be later on.

By the way, the mold for the cdc lower piece is done.I will cast one tonight.

Members online

No members online now.
Back