Mclaren grilles

Alax7

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Who wants a mclaren replica? I'll be casting them, not making them with the gen2 surround and attaching the honeycomb to it. I see a few are on the hunt for one so if there is enough interest I will make a few. I don't want to spend all this money to make the mold and sell one, I don't want to spend all my money and not even break even, doing that once for the clear parts is more than enough for me :D

So, who would be interested? How much would you pay for one? I need to at least break even and if I could use this as my summer job, I wouldn't mind making a few bucks for myself either.

I don't want to make 100 of these either and have the rarity of the mclaren go down, I am somewhat of a collectors so I value how rare the cdc and mclaren grilles are. I was thinking of making 5-10 and putting them on ebay for first come first serve.

What do you guys think?

Well how much would they have to cost to make sense, honestly I wouldn't pay over 45 50 for one, to me it's just plastic I could make one I the event I wanted one that bad

I'll be casting them, not making them with the gen2 surround and attaching the honeycomb to it.

So will it be 2 pieces then?

I'd be interested in the cdc surround if you do end up casting a few ;)

No, it will be one piece like the original is. I said I am NOT going to make it a 2 piece like I did the replica cdc grilles.

There are 2 ways to make a mclaren grille, one piece like the original or you can get a gen2 surround and attach honeycomb mesh to it. I am going to cast them, make a mold first, like the originals.

The thing about the cdc piece, no one has the mesh for it so when I make that piece, it wont be complete. When I make the mclaren, it will be complete.

Well how much would they have to cost to make sense, honestly I wouldn't pay over 45 50 for one, to me it's just plastic I could make one I the event I wanted one that bad

Sounds fair but I believe you would go the 2 piece route, not my route. You would need to buy, unless you already have one, a gen2 2 piece grille + the mesh to attach

. If you know of a way to make exact replicas of the original mclaren grilles for 45 each, I would love to hear it, it would save me money for the future :D

As per our discussion, i would be in depending on the final price...i would def be willing to pay more than $45-50 LOL

Sounds fair but I believe you would go the 2 piece route, not my route. You would need to buy, unless you already have one, a gen2 2 piece grille + the mesh to attach

. If you know of a way to make exact replicas of the original mclaren grilles for 45 each, I would love to hear it, it would save me money for the future :D

With some sheet metal and my uncles plasma cutter, uses cad file and makes the design.... Then attach it to the original grille seems cheap to me...

But yeah anymore than 50 bucks and it's not worth it, instead some custom grilles made to order would be sweet. This forum needs some new looks hopefully this summer I can work on that

Alex you are too good to us guys on here lol

Id be interested in buying one most definitely. But even more interested in the CDC mesh like someone above said.

Honestly Alax, make them and sell them for the premium people pay already. If they're just as good there is no reason to not let the free market do its job.

40-50 is laughable. I'd say no less than $180 unpainted if they're just like the originals. But avoid it all together and list them on ebay. I have yet to see one go less than 2-250 in the last few months.

i'd say make a bunch and sell half on ebay for a premium and the other half on here for a deal. personally i wouldnt pay more than $100 for a replica one.

I agree they are worth more then $50. You have a rep around here for doing quality work & that alone has value in it. So to me charging less then $100 is a joke. Mclarens are rare & people want them & if they were even around to sell for $200 un painted they still would sell. If everyone had access to make molds & ect then no one would pay that much for them. If I were you I'd sell them on eBay & let the open market speak for itself & if anyone wants them on here just let them pm you & set a specific price(no less then $100) so they won't get in a bidding war on eBay & that alone would be you doing a favor for LVC members.

I agree with kaball just for the fact I know you want to help lvc members out but I also agree you should sell em at cost or damm near it and make $. Only thing I would be kinda upset about that I know would happen is someone on here buy yours for lvc discount and resell it for premium. Not saying anyone will, but I could see it happening I guess.
Bottom line .. make your $ and when or if you break even, MAYBE then drop your price to members if you'd like otherwise keep selling em for 150-200+

The crappy mesh overlays that come in a tube from ebay cost $30 dollars guys, so please don't insult the man by saying $45 or $50. $100 is the MINIMUM someone should expect to pay for a custom manufactured piece like that and it's possible that the price of making them and the quality of the final product could justify more. Alax you might have to make and show one before a real conversation can be had here

As per our discussion, i would be in depending on the final price...i would def be willing to pay more than $45-50 LOL

Final price would be depending on many factors, but rough estimate 125-ish, 150 tops? I have to see how much it actually takes me to make the mold, but I will try and make it as cost efficient as possible so I can sell them cheaper. I'm trying to give you guys a fair price, gotta help my lvc guys out for sure, but i can't forget about myself either. It will definitely not be 50 though,that would be great for you guys, it wouldn't for me or my wallet :D

Id be interested in buying one most definitely. But even more interested in the CDC mesh like someone above said.

I just told Atrom I would make it for him, the little cdc piece that is, so those will be available too. He's been asking me about that part for a long time so I'll help him out and finally make it.

Honestly Alax, make them and sell them for the premium people pay already. If they're just as good there is no reason to not let the free market do its job.

40-50 is laughable. I'd say no less than $180 unpainted if they're just like the originals. But avoid it all together and list them on ebay. I have yet to see one go less than 2-250 in the last few months.

Yeah, I think I will do this, to ebay they will go, and I'll save some for you guys.

I agree with kaball just for the fact I know you want to help lvc members out but I also agree you should sell em at cost or damm near it and make $. Only thing I would be kinda upset about that I know would happen is someone on here buy yours for lvc discount and resell it for premium. Not saying anyone will, but I could see it happening I guess.
Bottom line .. make your $ and when or if you break even, MAYBE then drop your price to members if you'd like otherwise keep selling em for 150-200+

Yeah, I'll do this, thanks man ;).

The crappy mesh overlays that come in a tube from ebay cost $30 dollars guys, so please don't insult the man by saying $45 or $50. $100 is the MINIMUM someone should expect to pay for a custom manufactured piece like that and it's possible that the price of making them and the quality of the final product could justify more. Alax you might have to make and show one before a real conversation can be had here

Thanks man :Beer

I was a little surprised by the low ball but its cool. I'm just saying this stuff isn't cheap, I emailed a local guy who did custom part with molds like I have been doing. He quoted me 200-250 to make me the LSE side skirt end caps that I made a while back. That was for 2 little pieces, most was for the materials to make those little molds, but for this big mold, its going to be a lot bigger and its going to cost that much more.

With some sheet metal and my uncles plasma cutter, uses cad file and makes the design.... Then attach it to the original grille seems cheap to me...

But yeah anymore than 50 bucks and it's not worth it, instead some custom grilles made to order would be sweet. This forum needs some new looks hopefully this summer I can work on that

Its cool to have tools at your disposal, but you're just borrowing everything from your uncle at no cost to you. Thats not the same thing here, but yeah you could make them for dirt cheap if you have expensive tools to make them. If my uncle owned the company that makes these silicones and resins, I could make mclaren grilles for free, I would just get whatever I need for free.

I know pics are a lot better than "I'm going to do this and that" threads, I just wanted to see if there was enough interest to do this.

Now that I can see there is, like trilife said, I'll just make them and post back up when they are done, half to ebay, half to you guys.

I'll post back with results. Keep an eye out over the summer.

Well, if you do plan on making more than one CDC mesh grills then I would definitely be interested no matter what the price may be. Either way, that or mclaren I am interested.

I will just be making the lower piece needed to mount the cdc mesh on to the car, I'm not making the whole grille. You can then use a gen1 top piece/grille and mesh to complete the cdc grille.

Agreed, Sell them one at a time on Ebay and see what you can get for them. Like Drizz said, they go for a lot. You are doing everyone a favor by making these since no one else makes them anymore. There is no reason you should ever lose money on these grilles. Good on you for being willing to dedicate your time and money to provide this service to the LS community!!

Alex, we talked in PM already about this before you posted this thread.

Yes, I'm on board and money is not the problem unless it goes past 200$ (or so)

My only concern (no disrespect) is the quality.
I don't want to see any little pits from air bubbles!

I know you do good work but at that money it's going to have to be perfect.
Mind you if final product is a primered stage, one could always fill in any air bubble pits.

Seriously, no disrespect, I'm on board ...

I will just be making the lower piece needed to mount the cdc mesh on to the car, I'm not making the whole grille. You can then use a gen1 top piece/grille and mesh to complete the cdc grille.

Ooops, just re-read this, now I'm confused (doesn't take much really)

... not the whole grille ...

~ I think we are going to need pics now of your intentions.

(sorry, I'm blonde AND canadian!) <-- yes, I just did !!!

:D

Members online

No members online now.
Back