mark viii vs 00' gt sohc

after spending the past few months with my mark, I can say for certain that my lsc "just" keeps up with every modern 4 door sedan...hell I tied a mid 90's 4 door accord with a fart pipe the other day. These mark's are downright pigs....way to heavy for any useful speed, unfortunately. It's really got me pissed to the point where even my planned 4.10 gear swap is wortheless.

I remember one day I raced a 2005 body style mustang in my 97 LSC. I got annihilated! Started looking for a different car after that.

If you say there pigs just look at the weight of a new gt500, camaro or challenger its not weight now days sir its the transmission gearing

30 mph roll is a good race for the mark. plays to our engine and gearing strong points.
from a dig, well not so much. stock anyway.

after spending the past few months with my mark, I can say for certain that my lsc "just" keeps up with every modern 4 door sedan...hell I tied a mid 90's 4 door accord with a fart pipe the other day. These mark's are downright pigs....way to heavy for any useful speed, unfortunately. It's really got me pissed to the point where even my planned 4.10 gear swap is wortheless.
Then you are doing something wrong. I just had two mid 90's Accord EX cars. A coupe and a 4-door. My 3.0 Ranger could outrun them.

That being said, yeah there are many newer family cars that can put a hurt on the Mark.
The new V-6 Accord, Maxima, Altima 3.5, Camry V-6, Ford Fusion v6 AWD..... thinking back when I was a kid and 0-60 in 6 seconds was a big deal. Now every car does that and its only a big deal if you are in the 2 second range.
I remember hearing how the new Ferrari could do 0-60 in 3.8 seconds and I actually thought "well thats not very quick" :eek: :lol:

I am just a tad upset that I lost, but I expected to lose. Great guy though, comes into work alot, and we get to talking about cars non-stop lol. Guess I should start putting some pep in her with some goodies. :D Ha, he even offered me a trac-lok! :D Oh and here she is, finally got my phone back and it takes decent pictures I suppose.

Photo0016.jpg
[/IMG]

Do 4.30 gears and a stall converter. :D I raced an 03' GT manual with exhaust, CAI, and 3.73 gears and had him before the crosswalk at the other side of the intersection when the light turned green. I've also raced a Nissan 370Z and surprisingly had him from a 50 roll. I abruptly pulled on that car too, but the Nissan is a low 13 second car so I was questioning the driver mod on that one.

4.30s and a 3800 stall has been a KILLER combo on the street for me. The look on some of these people's faces is priceless.

Alright, had to bring this back up, again! =] Buddy at work has a 2001 gt, 5 speed, stock rear, bbk fwi, pulleys, catback exhaust, clutch, flywheel. I have raced him numerous times, well three times. He puts some car lengths on me easy. 30 punch, I can only hang, until he shifts. So, he suggested that we do it from a dig, gives me two car lengths. Then he also suggested, that I will get up to 30, and he stands still and waits for me to pass, then we take off. Now from a dig, even with two car lengths, I am not so sure about, he can hook good and knows how to drive. From my 30, and his stand still, I am sure I can take him. Thoughts?

First option itll be close. I still think he will take you. Second shouldn't be a problem for you.

I ran a few new edge mustangs when I was driving my mark and never really had a problem with them. Even caught a couple 05s off guard and they couldn't reel me in.

I don't see a Mark getting beat by a mid 90's Accord, but I guess anything's possible. For a short time I had a 94 Accord 4 door built for street racing that I got off a buddy of mine. It had a JDM H22A (2.2 DOHC VTEC; one of the more high performance Honda engines) with Skunk2 stage II cams, flat-top pistons, full 3" exhaust, LSD automatic transaxle, and I don't remember what all else, and it still didn't have the power, acceleration, or top end of my Mark. I ended up selling it to another friend who swapped a 5-speed into it and I EASILY beat him in my parents' stock 96 LSC, which was noticeably slower than my 93.

As far as trying to say what's going to beat what on the street, from my experience, it doesn't matter so much what the numbers say. You can look at hp numbers, torque numbers, weight, 1/4 miles times, 1/8 mile times, etc., but I've seen plenty of people who "won" on paper lose on the street, and I did alot of that in my Mark VIII. I would race people who should have easily handed me my ass and beat them, or in one case, BARELY lost. Don't let people telling you you're going to lose based on the numbers get in your head. Just get out there, drive it like you stole it, and see how things play out. You might be surprised. One example is the one race I barely lost: it was me in my basically stock Mark VIII (see my sig. My car was hardly what I'd consider "built" by any means) vs. an early to mid 2000's Honda S2000 5-speed or 6-speed (whatever they are) with a full exhaust system and a good tune (Hondata I believe, if I remember correctly). We started from a dig, and naturally, being a manual transmission, he jumped ahead from the launch to where his rear bumper was even with my front fender, but we ran all the way to 100 MPH and we stayed like that the whole time. I couldn't pull ahead and he couldn't pull away from me. We probably would've taken it farther than 100 MPH, but we were on a 2-lane country road in the middle of nowhere and coming up on a sharp curve so we had to get out of it, but that was the closest race I've ever run. That's the same reason I never put money on a race even if it looks like a sure thing, because you just never know what can happen out there.

When you have to place your car ahead of his in order for it to be "fair" I already think it makes you look bad. Don't let it get to your head. Have fun & walk away. If you loose I'm sure your buddy will still be impressed at how your 19 year old car still keeps up with the newer generation!

A stock 2000 GT is probably a full second (or more) faster in the quarter than a stock Mark. We owned and raced both at the same time. Naturally, driver error makes a difference.

A stock 2000 GT is probably a full second (or more) faster in the quarter than a stock Mark. We owned and raced both at the same time. Naturally, driver error makes a difference.

not quite a full second. The average mark is a low 15 second car and the average gt its mid 14s.

I still remember the :q:q:q:q talking salesman with a gt. Called me out with the car in my avatar. 30-80 I put a buslength or 2 on him. Didn't even leave second gear.

Dude your car hauls the mail for how stock it is

Its not bad. :) I'm considering gutting it since I don't drive it anymore. Should be a bit quicker with 800lbs removed.

I put buslengths on the gt with my 3000. Not the lincoln.

Members online

Back