mark viii vs 00' gt sohc

invisiblem0nst3r

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
so my wifes cousin just got a 00' mustang gt manual tranny and thinks its all bad ass told em ill race it and was like. in what?.. that..haha............dont really have any mods besides silencer delete .. no mufflers

The fact that it's a manual is your killer. Tell him you want to race at highway speed and you'll own him. Not from a standstill.

Highway race you should be just about even. I ran one once on the highway in my 94, I kept dead even with him until he exited. From a dead stop I would have been toast though since I was stock.

does he actually know how to drive a stick if not you could take him out of the hole

I would call this a driver's race. The longer the distance the more the race is in your favor, so make sure you run him for a full quarter mile. Assuming you are mostly stock, if you are within a car length of him when you hit second you'll come around him at the 1000 foot mark.

Don't let him talk you into little stoplight to stoplight hops, that favors him as he should be able to 60 foot you. Talk him into taking the race to a dragstrip where everyone watching will get to see him lose.

Because its a manual it will come down to if he can run a solid race with it. Probably a half second advantage on you in the quarter if he can run decent race.

If he can drive he will pull away from you from a stop and from a roll.

Bet him $500 on it, throw a 100 shot on it beforehand, end up with him paying for your nitrous kit.

I say he wins. Most Marks run high 14's...some run low 15's. That GT is a low 14 - high 13 second car. He will eat you up! The only hope you have is from a high 60mph+ roll which I think as others said you will win.

THat's what truly tears me apart about these Mark VIII's. In the end they are slow & heavy! I have a Cobra on the side of my car but if I was to run it against someone they'll just think my Cobra was a junk yard find & y car is a V6... Wish these cars came 400 lbs lighter & exactly the same amount of HP as the Cobra. I'm about to sell my truck & throw all that money into making my Lincoln FLY!!!!!!!!!

I say he wins. Most Marks run high 14's...some run low 15's. That GT is a low 14 - high 13 second car. He will eat you up! The only hope you have is from a high 60mph+ roll which I think as others said you will win.

5 years of being at the drag strip tells me that these are a 14.2 car at best, and that's assuming he knows how to launch it. The only strength those cars have is in the first 330', after that's it just a question of if you have enough distance to reel him in. A goobered launch on his part and a little bit of treeing on your part and you have him.

5 years of being at the drag strip tells me that these are a 14.2 car at best, and that's assuming he knows how to launch it. The only strength those cars have is in the first 330', after that's it just a question of if you have enough distance to reel him in. A goobered launch on his part and a little bit of treeing on your part and you have him.

Yeah 2v's are definite 1/8th mile cars. Every race I had with my 03 GT (and it was almost fully bolted on) it would slaughter almost anything I raced to about 75-80mph and then after that I would lose....that's why I would cheat and only race people to 75-80mph :D What can I say I stacked the deck :shifty:;)

i aint skerred of no 2v gt, i play with them all the time, you should be fine. everything has been covered, how many manual cars has he had, i bet not enough to be good, but then you get all the "if i didnt miss that shift......bla bla bla.........." bull shyt ricer excuses!

You would be surprised which cars pull hard on the top end. There are some bolt on 2V GT's that will walk away from you like you were standing still from a roll...

You would be surprised which cars pull hard on the top end. There are some bolt on 2V GT's that will walk away from you like you were standing still from a roll...

Really? People take Mustangs and make them fast? REALLY? Damn all these years I thought Mustangs were all slow and nobody modified them! :eek:

There seems to be a misconception on this board that 2V 4.6 GT's have no top end and that a stock Mark VIII has a lot of top end power...

Eh most stock 5spd PI GT's I've seen here trap about the same as Mark VIIIs, they just do it half a second quicker.

Last edited:
Eh most stock 5spd if they can drive PI GT's I've seen here trap about the same as Mark VIIIs, they just do it half a second faster.

most around here are the early 4.6 sn95's with the sticker mod, hell the sn95 with the 5.0's are even more fun

Come on guy's I'm not afraid of 2V 4V or blown, lets face it on the street its a drivers race, 1 second on the track is allot. On the road its who got there foot down first. Ive seen people with "hot" cars get there butts handed to them by V6 Camry's and Neons:) There are allot of variables on the street that are leveled out on the track.
One on one stock to stock the stang will walk you start to finish. On the street it depends on the driver.

Come on guy's I'm not afraid of 2V 4V or blown, lets face it on the street its a drivers race, 1 second on the track is allot. On the road its who got there foot down first. Ive seen people with "hot" cars get there butts handed to them by V6 Camry's and Neons:) There are allot of variables on the street that are leveled out on the track.
One on one stock to stock the stang will walk you start to finish. On the street it depends on the driver.

I don't agree completely on that. At a track I would at times spin because it was always freaking slick. On the street I was able to launch my 2v like an animal without barely a chirp.

I feel the only fair race on the street is at a light. Not that counting crap or anything else. Roll races is just two retards speeding next to each other. When I had my 2v with the numbers in my sig I was going to trade it in on a mach 1. The mach was stock and when I took it for a test drive my car felt MUCH faster in the bottom end...but the mach felt like it pulled harder in the upper RPM's. I ended up sticking with my 2v because I like bottom end power that was on tap whenever I wanted it.

As tilted said though it does always come down to the driver.

Sorry, to bring an old thread back. Well, I raced one tonight, 2001 5 speed. Had FWI. 3.73's, Cobra King Clutch (did something before hand to make it tighter?), FRPP Flywheel (think he said it was lighter then aluminum?) No cats, bbk x pipe, Borla mufflers or Bassani (forgot what he said) and bbk pullies. Well, first was a roll at 30. I was in first with o/d off and t/c off, don't know if that matters from a roll, but 3 honks and we punched it. Was ahead of him by a fender until he got 3rd, then he put 2 1/2-3 car lengths on me. 2nd was from a 20 roll, and he pretty much just left me until he got to 100 lol. Overall, I am proud of her. I think with the above stated mods he had, the VIII did well. :)

Members online

No members online now.
Back