mark viii muscle car, how is it not??

I sold my 03 Cobra because I like the Mark better.

Hmm, I've driven my fathers 03 Cobra quite alot and in my opinion I like that one better. Apart from the rattling middle console. Makes me want to kill someone.
But the Mustang aren't a luxurious highway cruiser like the Mark, it's a muscle car. It's the definition of a muscle car. Two different cars that can't be compared.
But I like cars with useless ride quality etc. I like feeling the road. The Mark just plows over everything without a bump or anything. Which is also a good thing if you like that.

this settles it. mark viii yes, according to the dictionary. read and smile!
Muscle car is a term used to refer to a variety of high-performance automobiles.[1] The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines muscle cars as "any of a group of American-made 2-door sports coupes with powerful engines designed for high-performance driving."[2] Usually, a large V8 engine is fitted in a 2-door, rear wheel drive, family-style mid-size or full-size car designed for four or more passengers. Sold at an affordable price, muscle cars are intended for mainly street use and occasional drag racing
:iconcur::waving::waving::waving::waving::waving::ballon
Re-read that and you will clearly see the Mark does not fit that description. The Mark was not cheap. 40K in early 90's money is 65K today. Also the car was never intended for drag racing. The Mark IS NOT a muscle car. Its a GT.

I thought the article was to show what is an affordable car to make a present day hot rod out of ???

:D
this settles it. mark viii yes, according to the dictionary. read and smile!
Muscle car is a term used to refer to a variety of high-performance automobiles.[1] The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines muscle cars as "any of a group of American-made 2-door sports coupes with powerful engines designed for high-performance driving."[2] Usually, a large V8 engine is fitted in a 2-door, rear wheel drive, family-style mid-size or full-size car designed for four or more passengers. Sold at an affordable price, muscle cars are intended for mainly street use and occasional drag racing
:iconcur::waving::waving::waving::waving::waving::ballon

this is a direct dictionary quote of musclecar. right opinions vary, facts never change. so mustangs are musclecars, right how about anyone made from73-85 horsepoer ranged from 248, to a meager 140 hp with the mustang II. still musclcar? by DEFINITION yes, opinion, no. by DEFINITION the mark fits musclecar status. 2 door, v8 sport coupes (lsc helllllooooo). anyone is welcome to look it up at wickepedia or websters. at its time it came with more hp than most sports cars of its time, now we are in an age of serious musclecars and dealer options like the 60's, love it while we can. compared to todays average cars were nothing, compared to its time, dominant.musclecars are measured at their time, not ours. a stock mustang from the late 60's or chargers, chevelles, camaros( with the exception of the biiiig blocks which even maxed out at 375 hp, underrated) couldnt keep up with todays sport cars, just like us, but highly reguarded as 'musclecars' chevelles,2 door sport coupe, huge car, old chargers, even bigger, need i go on when the dictionary explains it by itself:D

:D

this is a direct dictionary quote of musclecar. right opinions vary, facts never change. so mustangs are musclecars, right how about anyone made from73-85 horsepoer ranged from 248, to a meager 140 hp with the mustang II. still musclcar? by DEFINITION yes, opinion, no. by DEFINITION the mark fits musclecar status. 2 door, v8 sport coupes (lsc helllllooooo). anyone is welcome to look it up at wickepedia or websters. at its time it came with more hp than most sports cars of its time, now we are in an age of serious musclecars and dealer options like the 60's, love it while we can. compared to todays average cars were nothing, compared to its time, dominant.musclecars are measured at their time, not ours. a stock mustang from the late 60's or chargers, chevelles, camaros( with the exception of the biiiig blocks which even maxed out at 375 hp, underrated) couldnt keep up with todays sport cars, just like us, but highly reguarded as 'musclecars' chevelles,2 door sport coupe, huge car, old chargers, even bigger, need i go on when the dictionary explains it by itself:D
I can read and ALSO comprehend. By definition it says "affordable and/or cheap" and the Mark was not cheap. Definition also says 1/4 mile is a factor in the cars build. That is not the case in the Mark as it is setup for highway passing, not 1/4 mile times. Definition also states that they are low option cars. Marks had more features then any other car on the market when they were built. The Mark is a GT. Current GT cars would be Bentley Continental, Aston DB9, Benz C class, BMW 6 series, Ferrari 599, Caddy CTS Coupe etc etc.

There really are no current muscle cars. Dodge Charger is kinda one cause its HUGE with a big motor and there really isn't any cars being made today with high power and no options. Last of the Muscle cars came out in the 80's is my best guess. Buick GN, Montey SS...... well thats all that comes to mind really.

Also nobody calls Camaros or Mustangs muscle cars and if they do then they are mistaken. They are "Pony" cars. Small chassis with small V8s and focus on being quick and nimble.

Then there are "Sports cars" Like Vette, Viper, 911s, DBS, Vantage, Ford GT (which is more of a supercar), Spyker C8 etc etc. They are designed to go fast, stop fast and corner fast.

Then you have Super/Hyper cars that do mind blowing stuff and try to kill you. Like the Zonda R, Enzo, LP640, F458, Ariel Atom, Veyron (which could ALSO be a GT).

So yes, many cars can kinda fit into multiple category's but the Mark is clearly a GT car. High power, lots of features, comfortable yet capable and able to maintain triple digit speeds for long duration on the highway.

Re-read that and you will clearly see the Mark does not fit that description. The Mark was not cheap. 40K in early 90's money is 65K today. Also the car was never intended for drag racing. The Mark IS NOT a muscle car. Its a GT.

so a ford gt, not a muscle car because of its price?, early corvettes were 5700 at the top of the price chain? at 34,824 base for the mark to 40,000 nicely equipped lsc,then the collectors ed. a little pricey, yes, but its for all the creature comforts,and at 29,480 for the 98 cobra. pretty close, camaro z28 27,450

so a ford gt, not a muscle car because of its price?, early corvettes were 5700 at the top of the price chain? at 34,824 base for the mark to 40,000 nicely equipped lsc,then the collectors ed. a little pricey, yes, but its for all the creature comforts,and at 29,480 for the 98 cobra. pretty close, camaro z28 27,450
But you don't listen. Camaro and Cobra are "Pony" cars, not muscle. Learn to freakin read! Ford GT is not a muscle car because:
1: Lots of features
2: Not a four seater
3: Optimized for corners and pure speed not drag racing
4: Chassis is not in use for any "lessor" cars.

A Corvette was never a "Muscle Car", it was a performance/sports car. It didn't share a chassis with anything and eventually became a decent handling car.

photo_movieMatrix-quoteSpoon.jpg

Mark VIII= Personal luxury car. Not a Muscle Car.

The definition of a Personal Luxury Car is : A highly styled, luxury vehicle with an emphasis on image over practicality. Accenting the comfort and satisfaction of its owner and driver above all else, the personal luxury car sometimes sacrifices passenger capacity, cargo room, and fuel economy in favor of style, as well as offering a high level of features and trim.

I would say the Mark falls right into that.

:)

there is no spoon! by name (LSC) luxury SPORTS COUPE , doesnt say gt, the thunderbird (SC), SPORT COUPE,not gt. pontiac has a gt. i can conprehend too, watch any car show they call old camaros and mustangs musclecars, the term pony car wasnt even conceived until the eighties which did in fact refer to the mustang and camaro since the musclecar had in fact died in 1972.and nowheres did it mention anything of 1/4mile times but "occasional track time", but mainly street.
as per definition:
The term itself "was coined by Dennis Shattuck, who was editor of Car Life magazine" at the time.[9] The term "originates from the equestrian sounding Ford Mustang",[2] and may also refer to the Ford Mustang's logo (a galloping pony).
^ "Mustang's 20th anniversary". The Motor (Temple Press) 166: 25. 1984.
so unequivocally anyways the musclecar, is dead. only ponycars remain, as per you sir, but still by definition lsc is sport coupe, affordable or not, at its price 10g more than any "pony car" of its time and still having more horsepower than all of them, 38g in 98 (not early 90's)is more like 50g given the 2% per yr inflation rate,and the way obama is devaluing the dollar it may hit 60 by the time we give him the boot!
exiting debate.:D

also from wiki

According to Muscle Cars, a book written by Peter Henshaw, a "muscle car" is "exactly what the name implies. It is a product of the American car industry adhering to the hot rodder's philosophy of taking a small car and putting a BIG engine in it. The Muscle Car is Charles Atlas kicking sand in the face of the 98 hp (73 kW) weakling."[7] Henshaw further asserts that the muscle car was designed for straight-line speed, and did not have the "sophisticated chassis", "engineering integrity", or "lithe appearance" of European high-performance cars.[7]

However, opinions vary as to whether high-performance full-size cars, compacts, and pony cars qualify as muscle cars.[8]

The following is a list of muscle cars and their manufacturers (along with each make's corresponding pony car, where applicable):

Manufacturer Pony car Muscle car
AMC Javelin SST Machine
Buick none Gran Sport
Chevrolet Camaro Chevelle SS
Dodge Challenger Charger RT
Ford Mustang Torino GT
Mercury Cougar Cyclone CJ
Oldsmobile none 442
Plymouth Barracuda Road Runner
Pontiac Firebird GTO

my opinion give it about another decade or so and these cars will be muscle cars of their generation, but currently i feel as it sits as a luxury cruiser, the thing was built for comfort, yea it has a bit*hin engine under the hood but with the car as is especially with the air ride is a luxury cruiser.

plus look at the chassis, yea probably the most sophisticated chassis in its day.

by that defination though the only car that will make a muscle car in the future is the mustang because of the soild axle. long live the soild axle!!!!

Mark VIII= Personal luxury car. Not a Muscle Car.

The definition of a Personal Luxury Car is : A highly styled, luxury vehicle with an emphasis on image over practicality. Accenting the comfort and satisfaction of its owner and driver above all else, the personal luxury car sometimes sacrifices passenger capacity, cargo room, and fuel economy in favor of style, as well as offering a high level of features and trim.

I would say the Mark falls right into that.

no it does not. the mark does not sacrifice passenger capacity i can fit 4 6' people in it and fill the trunk with 3 grown men does in no way sacrifice cargo space is it luxury,absolutely, a luxury SPORT COUPE as in the name.personal luxury is a , bmw 6 series, s series mercedes, even a lexus if you prefer, and has no emphasis on power as per definition. im only here to show by word of definition 2 door sport coupe. its in the name, in print,in the dictionary, on the car. if it said lgt anybody would have an argument,but since it clearly is a 2 door sport coupe with a v8, again by definition, musclecar.:D

no it does not. the mark does not sacrifice passenger capacity i can fit 4 6' people in it and fill the trunk with 3 grown men does in no way sacrifice cargo space is it luxury,absolutely, a luxury SPORT COUPE as in the name.personal luxury is a , bmw 6 series, s series mercedes, even a lexus if you prefer, and has no emphasis on power as per definition. im only here to show by word of definition 2 door sport coupe. its in the name, in print,in the dictionary, on the car. if it said lgt anybody would have an argument,but since it clearly is a 2 door sport coupe with a v8, again by definition, musclecar.:D

you can fit 3 grown men in your trunk?? i can barely fit my three ten inch subwoofers in the trunk. and how you fittin 4 6 foot tall people in your car? im 6'5" and my sister who is 5'6" cant even sit in the back seat behind me.

ive got 2 12"sin my trunk and can still and have fit 3 grown men in there didnt say the were comfortable, just in there (snuck them in car show at moroso they wanted $15 a head and felt like kids so who was i to say no) and not everyone is6'5 thats a really tall man. im 5'11 my tallest friend is 6'4 in passenger and had 2 men my size in the back seat.and i dont give a rats a$$ WHAT some writer from musclecar mag wrote i posted a definition right from the dictionary, thats not my opinion,thats what is called FACT.in my OPINION the last musclecar from the factory was the impala ss which what it was presented as, otherwise it died in the early seventies with the fuel crunch, this has nothing to do with my opinion, "just the facts please" everybody has opinions, thats why we have facts to see the difference
2011-09-24165627.jpg

as i recall there is 5' to the box which i custom built with angle at back of seat with .88 cubic ft per side sealed and will rattle the door knocker on moms house from the street.i can fit 2 large suitcases side by side a long dufflebag infront of box, and 2 more suitcases on topand still have room for stuff on side.

I'm not into muscle cars. I like luxury options and a good ride. I wouldn't have bought a Mark VIII if I was looking to race. I would have built myself an 8-second foxbody.

my port is on the bottom of the box.......so my box is a little taller, so maybe just maybe thats why it doesnt fit real well lol.

i aint tryin to fit a ton of people in my car, cause i can barely slide in that thing. lol. this is one reason why i really miss my mountaineer cause my tall ass fit in it perfect. lol.

but yea i think the relative term for gt, muscle car, personal car, luxury/luxury sport car will work for this car. hell during the 90's there werent that many rwd american cars out there.

grand tourer.

"A grand tourer (Italian: gran turismo) (GT) is a high-performance luxury automobile designed for long-distance driving. The most common format is a two-door coupé with either a two-seat or a 2+2 arrangement.
The term derives from the Italian phrase gran turismo, homage to the tradition of the grand tour, used to represent automobiles regarded as grand tourers, able to make long-distance, high-speed journeys in both comfort and style. The English translation is grand touring.

Grand tourers differ from standard two-seat sports cars in typically being engineered as larger and heavier, emphasizing comfort over straight-out performance or spartan accommodations. Historically, most GTs have been front-engined with rear-wheel drive, which creates more space for the cabin than mid-mounted engine layouts. Softer suspensions, greater storage, and more luxurious appointments add to their driving appeal. Some very high-performance grand tourers, such as the Aston Martin DB9, Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano, and the Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren make various compromises in the opposite direction while rivalling sports cars in speed, acceleration, and cornering ability, earning them the special designation supercars."

i use mine to haul ass at high speed in comfort. straight up GT car.

really!? id love to have one but bein 6'5" id have a hard time fitting inside it even my mark i have a hard time. lol.

You should see the nasty black spot on the headliner above where I sit. :p When I am at the track with a helmet on, I have to recline the seat back with my arms fully extended on the steering wheel so my helmet clears the roof. I also have a moonroof which takes away even more headroom. That's why you can't see even part of my big helmet in my in-car track videos because I'm leanin' back like a gangsta lol. :D

you can fit 3 grown men in your trunk?? i can barely fit my three ten inch subwoofers in the trunk. and how you fittin 4 6 foot tall people in your car? im 6'5" and my sister who is 5'6" cant even sit in the back seat behind me.

I'm 6' 1" and my Mark VIII is just big enough for me. I can imagine its a tight fit for you. Like I said earlier though I like it better than I liked my 03 Cobra. The Cobra seating position was very uncomfortable (like a pick up) and personally I do not like a standard but the shifter in it was a very poor shifter and in a poor position you almost had to come out of the seat to hit third gear. The Interior looked very cheap. And the clutch was a pain in traffic. The rear independent suspension needed over a thousand dollars in parts and lots of labor to just work as well as the Lincolns. And it broke a axle the first day at the drag strip. The Cobra was more sure footed and handled better but I bet the Mark would do as well if I spent as much time and money on its suspension. I'm slowly learning anything the Cobra could do the Lincoln can do better.

You should see the nasty black spot on the headliner above where I sit. :p When I am at the track with a helmet on, I have to recline the seat back with my arms fully extended on the steering wheel so my helmet clears the roof. I also have a moonroof which takes away even more headroom. That's why you can't see even part of my big helmet in my in-car track videos because I'm leanin' back like a gangsta lol. :D

Yes between that and weight thats why mine doesn't have a moon roof.

True Muscle Cars are not over loaded with options. They don`t have power this and that, the best ones don`t even have carpet. True Muscle is all about BRUTALITY.
Even by the late 60`s people were ordering to much extra crap, thus ruining them. But, at least back then you could pretty much choose anything you liked. Now it`s all packages, I can`t stand that. I would love to order a new car stripped of all the modern safety crap.

Ever see a True Muscle Car with airbags(suspension or safety), traction control,? NO!

I'm 6' 1" and my Mark VIII is just big enough for me. I can imagine its a tight fit for you. Like I said earlier though I like it better than I liked my 03 Cobra. The Cobra seating position was very uncomfortable (like a pick up) and personally I do not like a standard but the shifter in it was a very poor shifter and in a poor position you almost had to come out of the seat to hit third gear. The Interior looked very cheap. And the clutch was a pain in traffic. The rear independent suspension needed over a thousand dollars in parts and lots of labor to just work as well as the Lincolns. And it broke a axle the first day at the drag strip. The Cobra was more sure footed and handled better but I bet the Mark would do as well if I spent as much time and money on its suspension. I'm slowly learning anything the Cobra could do the Lincoln can do better.

I`m 6ft., I`m actually more comfortable in my Cobra than I was in my old Mark. I always wanted the steering wheel to telescope out 2.5 more inches. The shifter is an easy fix, MGW. The stock clutch, SUCKS! McLeod Dual Disc, problem solved. The interior.... It is somewhat cheap looking. But, It has nice cup holders! Ride quality is about the same, the roads here pretty much suck.

True Muscle Cars are not over loaded with options. They don`t have power this and that, the best ones don`t even have carpet. True Muscle is all about BRUTALITY.
Even by the late 60`s people were ordering to much extra crap, thus ruining them. But, at least back then you could pretty much choose anything you liked. Now it`s all packages, I can`t stand that. I would love to order a new car stripped of all the modern safety crap.

Ever see a True Muscle Car with airbags(suspension or safety), traction control,? NO!

yes they did, but you could delete or add them, and that was in the 60's when musclecars ruled.

grand tourer.

"A grand tourer (Italian: gran turismo) (GT) is a high-performance luxury automobile designed for long-distance driving. The most common format is a two-door coupé with either a two-seat or a 2+2 arrangement.
The term derives from the Italian phrase gran turismo, homage to the tradition of the grand tour, used to represent automobiles regarded as grand tourers, able to make long-distance, high-speed journeys in both comfort and style. The English translation is grand touring.

Grand tourers differ from standard two-seat sports cars in typically being engineered as larger and heavier, emphasizing comfort over straight-out performance or spartan accommodations. Historically, most GTs have been front-engined with rear-wheel drive, which creates more space for the cabin than mid-mounted engine layouts. Softer suspensions, greater storage, and more luxurious appointments add to their driving appeal. Some very high-performance grand tourers, such as the Aston Martin DB9, Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano, and the Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren make various compromises in the opposite direction while rivalling sports cars in speed, acceleration, and cornering ability, earning them the special designation supercars."

i use mine to haul ass at high speed in comfort. straight up GT car.

chris what ive been saying is if it were a grand tourer it would have said it, instead they chose sport coupe you cant just name something different than it came from the dealer with a name on it unless of course you call it a piece of :q:q:q:q, like japanese, korean,and wherever the hell peugeots are made i forgot. and youll notice the ferrari actually had gt in the name not sc if the definition says it, the car says it, by definition it fits whats on the car it is what it says it is. if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, swims like a duck, its a duck. if it looks like :q:q:q:q, smells like :q:q:q:q, its :q:q:q:q.:cool:

Members online

No members online now.
Back