mark viii muscle car, how is it not??

Daviddc114

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
http://www.carcraft.com/featuredvehicles/ccrp_1108_affordable_ford_muscle_cars/photo_09.html

Here is a magazine calling it an affordable muscle car,

i hate when i hear people say a mark Viii is not a muscle car, how is it not? An American v8 rear wheel drive 2 door big car, it has all the qualifications..
And as for horse power, it has within 20 hp as a mustang cobra (are you saying cobras are not muscle cars) , and more horsepower than a gt, it is even marketed as a muscle car, all the tv commercials were about was how powerful they are, throw in a supercharger and a few other mods and you can have well over 500hp, sorry but i think these cars are the definition of a muscle car, and a very unique one at that.. I also think they died before there time, killed off by the suv craze.. I think someday these will be exceptional collector cars....

they are affordable to buy but not affordable to upkeep

I disagree they are very easy to maintain and cheep.
I have about $1600 in my daily driver mark including purchase price. It has a coil suspension rebuilt front suspension new plugs, wires, k&n filter,remote start, great tires, will run as is for probably another 100000 miles with only normal maintenance. Maintenance that any car requires.

The $5 PCV valve on a Mark is $60 on a BMW. I beleive the Mark parts are fairly cheap. Whole motor only cost me $300.

they are not a Muscle car they are a luxury coupe

luxury muscle.. 280-290 hp stock, rwd, 2 door.. that ain't no family car.. luxury muscle is what it is, these cars are either 10 or 20 hp away from 300 rolling off the assembly line. most cars that are made today will come with close to 230 hp if your lucky, unless you get something powerful. they don't make muscle cars like they did in the 60s and 70s, I'm talkin 440 hemis with like 390 hp and 450 ft lbs of torque, its a shame. I'm only 15 but what they call muscle now, especially 6 cylinder chargers, challengers, camaros and mustangs are not muscle.. oo a 305 hp V6, might be quick but no muscle car should ever be associated with a V6

False. To be expected by a noob. The OEM system lasts for 10+ years. If you bought all OEM stuff after it fails it would cost you $850 and last for another ten years. To swap to coils its $400 for a basic system and closer to $700 to get nice quality parts that offer the same ride compliance as stock. They too will last 10 years before the springs start to sag. What does that extra $150 give you? A little better ride and the cool lowering feature at speeds or when parked. Ill spend an extra $1.25 per month to have that feature.
Now lets compare that to a car that always had springs. Something cheap and something everyone knows. Lets say a Mustang. Its suspension is good for about 10 years till the springs sag and the dampners are blown. Save some money and go aftermarket. Say maybe an Eibach pro kit at $825. Thats pretty close to the "expensive" air ride parts.

But even if it was WAY more expensive thats only a single part. Brakes, sensors, switches, coils, cooling system, exhaust etc etc is the same as a Crown Vics or a Honda Accords and in some cases cheaper.

It only seems expensive because the Marks are now cheap and most of us are broke. :lol:

luxury muscle.. 280-290 hp stock, rwd, 2 door.. that ain't no family car.. luxury muscle is what it is, these cars are either 10 or 20 hp away from 300 rolling off the assembly line. most cars that are made today will come with close to 230 hp if your lucky, unless you get something powerful. they don't make muscle cars like they did in the 60s and 70s, I'm talkin 440 hemis with like 390 hp and 450 ft lbs of torque, its a shame. I'm only 15 but what they call muscle now, especially 6 cylinder chargers, challengers, camaros and mustangs are not muscle.. oo a 305 hp V6, might be quick but no muscle car should ever be associated with a V6

You do realize the new 5.0 is rated@ 412hp right? And I'm also sure that in the '60s the majority of the muscle car body style were sold with an inline 6 cylinder.

The '69 Fastback is easily one of my favorite cars, but the new stangs out perform the original stangs in every category.

Here's the problem, I think ppl have their opinions misconstrued. Lincoln is made by Ford, parts are fairly cheap in comparison to a Benz but they do require constant $$$ attention. If u are like me & live check to check these cars can really hurt u financially which I think was the point being made. If you have the money then this is a cheap car to maintain in comparison w/any luxury car of this age.
Example: I bought my blk 93 in June 2009. 2 weeks after owning it the passenger window stopped working, In August 09,I replaced the first air bag in the rear, Sept 2009 the tranny gave way, in March 2010 the air compressor gave way, May 2010 the fan plug melted & fan malfunctioned & front air bags started leaking slowly (they had already been replaced, not oem), in July 2010 I replaced both front solenoids & I replaced another leaky air bag from the rear, Nov 2010 the VCRM goes bad, January 2011 the IAC starts giving me issues, March 2011 the "T" vacuum line went bad, Sept 2011 fan plug melts again, October 2011 air ride quits on me, I replace the compressor, nothing happens. I had enough @ this point, replaced it for a set of Eibach Pro springs from a member here that he NEVER used. The car has never driven better but it now needs lower control arms & other front suspension components. Did I mention my 93 just turned 106,000 miles? So yes they require constant attention.

They are only expensive to upkeep if you have to pay for labor. That's just my look at it.

False. To be expected by a noob. The OEM system lasts for 10+ years. If you bought all OEM stuff after it fails it would cost you $850 and last for another ten years. To swap to coils its $400 for a basic system and closer to $700 to get nice quality parts that offer the same ride compliance as stock. They too will last 10 years before the springs start to sag. What does that extra $150 give you? A little better ride and the cool lowering feature at speeds or when parked. Ill spend an extra $1.25 per month to have that feature.
Now lets compare that to a car that always had springs. Something cheap and something everyone knows. Lets say a Mustang. Its suspension is good for about 10 years till the springs sag and the dampners are blown. Save some money and go aftermarket. Say maybe an Eibach pro kit at $825. Thats pretty close to the "expensive" air ride parts.

But even if it was WAY more expensive thats only a single part. Brakes, sensors, switches, coils, cooling system, exhaust etc etc is the same as a Crown Vics or a Honda Accords and in some cases cheaper.

It only seems expensive because the Marks are now cheap and most of us are broke. :lol:

Yeah you misunderstood my response, name one muscle car that has air ride, not luxury muscle either.

Muscle cars were mid sized coupes with an overly potent v8

Yeah you misunderstood my response, name one muscle car that has air ride, not luxury muscle either.

Midsize coupes with an overly potent v8, sounds like a mark to me... Oh and as for the air ride, YouTube the commercial that introduces that feature on the mark Viii, it was designed to lower the car an inch at highway speeds to reduce wind resistance, yet another feature aimed at speed and handling.. Believe me, its a muscle car.. The reason people have such a hard time with it is because it has a Lincoln emblem on it, but Lincoln was aiming these cars at a younger crowd, hell they even have these cars in muscle car magazine, believe me, muscle car baby! Is it on par with a 1970 chevelle 454, no.. But it is on par with a cobra mustang, or a Camaro, or any other current muscle car, sorry its definitely a muscle car, just a fully loaded one :)

As a matter of fact, i even remember a mark vii commercial that had a Nascar race driver driving it commenting on how it performed, the mark vii and mark Viii are 2 of the hottest muscle cars out there imho

There are many super high performance cars with air-ride. Porsche, Benz, Jag, Gumpert all offer air suspension. As for a muscle car the only one that comes to mind is a Mark. :p

Suspension has nothing to do with it. A muscle car is a smaller chassis with a big displacement and/or high HP engine that puts straight line performance above all else. In that respect there really is no such thing as a muscle car any more. Challenger SRT maybe but the new Camaro and Stang handle too good and are really Pony cars.

And I like to play devils advocate. I really don't consider a Mark a muscle car. I consider it a GT cause thats what it is. High HP car that handles well but is best at devouring large amounts of highway at illegal speeds while keeping you from getting fatigued.

they are not a Muscle car they are a luxury coupe

x2.

I hate when people call it a muscle car, it's not A FU CKING muscle car! It's far far from a muscle car. They are big, qwell equiped, decently powered, rwd 2dr coupes. Commonly refered to as a luxury sports coupe.

Sorry UltimateSVT but you don't know how to buy used cars if you have so Manny problems
I live pay check to pay check and have no problems with keeping up with my daily driver mark.
You will also note in my earlier post I didn't list miles of my car cause when you are used car shopping miles have nothing to do with how it will run in the future.
Also the mark is not a "muscle car" imo but it should get into the shows cause its close to one.

Hmmmm. Is the Mark VIII a "muscle car"? I tend to think not. It's a luxury sport coupe. It's midsize, 2-door, rear-drive with a V-8 and automatic. It was never really designed to be a hell on wheels musclecar like the old Torino GT, Buick GSX, Pontiac GTO, Mercury Marauder, or any of the plethora of musclecars from the 60's and (very) early 70's. It's powerful, reasonably fast (mine will do 0-60 in around 6.8-7 seconds), handles fairly well, and is very luxurious and comfortable. Musclecars used to be basic, stripped down cars with huge, powerful engines that would smoke the rear tires at the slightest blip of the throttle. The (stock) Mark VIII won't do that. Where the old musclecars had a bottomless pit of low end torque from their big block pushrod V-8's, the Mark's relatively small displacement DOHC V-8 has to rev to access its torque peak. Where the musclecars of yesteryear had anywhere from 400 to 500 ft/lbs of earth moving, tire shredding torque, the Mark only has 285-290 ft/lbs (stock). That's honestly not impressive compared to real musclecars. To me, the Mark VIII is not a musclecar. It is however, a very nice, fast, good handling GT car made for comfortable cruising. Just my opinion.

@UltimateSVT

I think them main problems with these cars being expensive to maintain really comes down to "How The Previous Owner Maintained It. Take it from me who owner over 11 used cars in the past 4 years (yes I get tired of cars quick lol), and I definetly believe in this theory. For example: I used to have a 97 Acura RL, which are supposed to be very reliable and inexpensive to maintain. However, because the previous owner didn't take car of it, it needed all types of things to get it back running right (new steering rack ($600), major suspension overhaul ($700), and the engine ended up blowing a head gasket ($800 new engine & labor). But then again I had a 2000 Bonneville SSEI with over 230K miles, but it was very well maintained, and it never gave me a problem besides maybe a basic tune up, and brakes. So it pretty much comes down to the car's previous owner. Also IMO on buying cars, i don't really go by miles when buying cars. I actually prefer buying high mileage car because a high mileage car had to be well taken car of to make it that high in mileage.

But oh man it went waay off topic :eek:.

Buy yea I disagree with the Mark being a Muscle car. I think LSC basically suits the car. LSC=Luxury Sports Coupe

Members online

No members online now.
Back