lug nut help

Bossed

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I've been searching on this subject and it's confusing. I want a solid one piece lug nut to replace the factory nuts. Rock Auto's Dorman brand offers several, have any of you used them? If so what part #?

Brian

I read where some said the Chrysler lugs were too long? Anybody got a part #?

^ +1
I used the Dorman 6111171 on my '02 with stock wheels. Works great.
Some folks have issues with the lug nut bottoming out on the rotor before clamping the wheel. Not sure what the conditions are that cause that.

Also bought the Dorman 6111171 from Rockauto last October....paid about $2.60 each, and they have been trouble free on the stock wheels....2002 LS V8

Guys, I really appreciate your help on this, and all the other help you give!! This site is so helpful for someone trying to learn about these cars. Thanks:)

Bossed

Another plug for Rock Auto - they sell the 6111171 in packs of 10, so I bought 2 (20 nuts). One of the boxes had busted open an only had 9 nuts in it.
So they sent me another box of 10 for free.

Now I just have to figure out what to do with 9 nuts!

I got the same ones. Only problem is the stock lug wrench does fit with them.

Good point Rod,

The Dorman lugs are 22mm I believe, so you will want pick up a new lug wrench to keep in your trunk.

Did Lincoln use different length studs on the LS's? I was just at Advance Auto and they had a Dorman #99003-1 lug nut in stock. I tried it on my 2003 LS, rear if that makes a difference, and the end of the stud bottoms out in the end of the lug nut. It's about 3/16" from tightening. Dorman lists the 611-117.1 as the same as the 99003.1.

Did Lincoln use different length studs on the LS's? I was just at Advance Auto and they had a Dorman #99003-1 lug nut in stock. I tried it on my 2003 LS, rear if that makes a difference, and the end of the stud bottoms out in the end of the lug nut. It's about 3/16" from tightening. Dorman lists the 611-117.1 as the same as the 99003.1.

Some folks have issues with the lug nut bottoming out on the rotor before clamping the wheel. Not sure what the conditions are that cause that.

:cool:

I would not be convinced that the 99003-1 is the "same as" the 6111171. "same as" could mean either "equal to" or "equivalent to". I would lean toward "equivalent to" since the numbers are different. I was able to find a few of the 6111171 at my local AutoZone, and the balance I bought from Rockauto, like I said they fit fine on my 2002 LS.

I would not be convinced that the 99003-1 is the "same as" the 6111171. "same as" could mean either "equal to" or "equivalent to". I would lean toward "equivalent to" since the numbers are different. I was able to find a few of the 6111171 at my local AutoZone, and the balance I bought from Rockauto, like I said they fit fine on my 2002 LS.

Look at the specs on the Dorman site...they are identical, just under different brand names.

They certainly are identical...... or equal;) Could it be length of the lugs, rotor thickness at the hub area, or the stock wheel type that are in play as factors?

lug help....?

Okay..I pulled my front wheel off and measured the lug. From the face of the rotor, it has a projection of 1-1/4".

Also measured the lug with the wheel on, and a lug nut removed. The lug has a projection of 7/8" from the face of where it protrudes from within the wheel.

I have a 2002 with the stock 5 spoke 17" sport rims. maybe you can compare to see if the 2003 has a longer lug.

Yep, pretty exciting goin's on here in Ohio in February>

2002 ls lug.jpg

I went to Dorman's website and the only lug nuts they have are acorn style, but the factory lug nuts on my 05 have the washer on them... I don't see how the acorn ones would work?

I went to Dorman's website and the only lug nuts they have are acorn style, but the factory lug nuts on my 05 have the washer on them... I don't see how the acorn ones would work?

Never mind, found the mag style with washer. I need black ones though... Anyone found these anywhere?

Yeah, I'm not quite sure what the issues are. I know when I tried the dorman Sebring lug nut on my car, the end of the stud left a mark on the inside capped off end of the nut. But that's not to say that the shoulder end was close to the rotor also.

I got the same ones. Only problem is the stock lug wrench does fit with them.

Did you use yours yet? Did they bottom out before clamping the wheel? Just ordered a set

bought the GORILLA 73138T. They may be too long (just eyeballed it - so not sure) so I simply used a grinder to reduce the length of the shank. took off about 1/16" and no problems. if you have access to a grinder or belt sander its an easy job

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/20-LU...item588aca35cd

keep in mind that the stock lug nut wrench will not work with these nuts. Gorilla makes a nice adapter.

Amazon.com: Gorilla Automotive 34-1316L Lug Wrench Adapter Long (3/4 - 13/16 Thread Size): Automotive

Members online

No members online now.
Back