Lincoln LS Detail

Thanks!

Yes. 2006 is very sweet! Take a look at my picture gallery. I will be updating those pics tonight. As I took some pictures of my car right after I finished clay bar and wax.
And new LEDs in the REAR TURN signals.

Thanks!

I agree and disagree slightly. The clay bar won't do anything to remove swirls, but as far as paint correction goes it is a crucial step. It is commonly overlooked by amateur/weekend detailers and is necessary in paint restoration. Removing the embedded dirt/tar/bugs/rain deposits is just as important as removing swirls and scratches. It can be a dangerously skipped step using a power tool and can cause even more scratches and marring if the paint you are correcting isn't completely clean. I apologize if I interpreted what you said wrong. The only step in a paint correction that *can* be skipped is the application of a glaze.

The only point I was trying to make is that clay barring all by itself won't correct the paint. I agree with you 100%. You could really hurt your paint by leaving all those surface contaminants stuck in your clear coat, then fire up the 7424...

I'd probably burn the paint if I had the Flex. I was just wondering because if you were going to purchase the Flex, I'd buy your PC :D

If I were in the market for one I'd definately sell it to you cheap, but with the PC being able to correct 90-95% as much as the rotary and me just buying a 190 dollar Metro Vac n' Blow Vacuum along with about 80-100 dollars more on random products, I can't justify spending the money right now. Perhaps next week when the new paycheck comes in I can justify it. If you are interested in a review of the flex let me know, I can send you a link. If you had the Flex on orbital and used it properly I doubt you could burn the paint. If you want a random orbital polisher for safety with more power than the Porter Cable, look at the Ultimate Detailing Machine. Corny name, good product.

The only point I was trying to make is that clay barring all by itself won't correct the paint. I agree with you 100%. You could really hurt your paint by leaving all those surface contaminants stuck in your clear coat, then fire up the 7424...

Depends on how each person defines "paint correction", but I definitely know what you mean.

sorry, I meant to say it won't correct swirls, not "correct the paint"

I've read the complete review of the Flex. Awesome machine. Too much power for me though. It was either on DU or detailedimage. That's where I saw that someone did burn the paint by letting it sit for not very long. But it might not have been set on orbital.

I figured I'd just check in on my comment last night, MAN you guys take your detailing seriously.

If I have a maaco paintjob, is there really anything I can do to get it to look as nice as that, you know what I mean like can I get it to look better than it does now with anything? I'm (like a few others said) lazy and I use the turtle wax spray as you dry and it does a decent job, for a few days. I have the ice but hate it, for some reason I dont think elbow grease is enough for it to work right, maybe I'm too weak.

I wash my car once a week because my black paint catches everything and I noticed the rain marks, they usually don't come off.

Some one give me a complete lineup of things to use and remember its a maaco paintjob so if its not gonna help dont let me waste money haha. I don't have a buffer either, is it worth it?

Some one give me a complete lineup of things to use and remember its a maaco paintjob so if its not gonna help dont let me waste money haha. I don't have a buffer either, is it worth it?

Buffer= Worth it. I can wash and wax a car, including tire shine and all that jazz, in under an hour. I'm talking removal of the wax too. I'm not too familiar with Maaco paintjobs, but if that's all you are doing to your car it definitely has more potential. Your car is black so you might be able to get a few extra shine points, but if I recall correctly that paint is either a two or three stage paint. I don't think you'll be able to get it that reflective, but you'll turn some heads if you put effort into it. If you are strapped for cash, I'd suggest buying the stuff, doing a couple cars and making your money back and then use the rest on your car. You can't lose.

speaking of, did you give that guy the link to this forum? I saw that he had asked you...

speaking of, did you give that guy the link to this forum? I saw that he had asked you...

I gave him the website, not specific link. Good idea though.

If anyone has any questions about anything detail related feel free to ask on here, I'd like to get this going a little more. A sticky would be nice but we do have a lot already.

Me too... It would be awesome if there were enough people on here to have discussions specific to LS detailing.

My Car NEEDS a Detail wash!! BADLY!!!! Around how much you think that specific wash cost? The place were i take my car to get wash charges me $200 for a Dealer wash, (dats what they call it since they leave it like if you were gonna sell da car, they clean everything, i seen how the leave the motor and everything and DAMM it looks clean, but $ 200 is a lot! but jw how much for dat kind of wash on the red Ls....

How often do you guys detail your car?
i wash my car every week but i "detail" it every month not detail detail but actually take my time to wash everything and stuff....

Rather pay then do it myself..lol

Dealer Wash? Sounds weird to me. I'm interested in hearing what that entails. For a midrange paint correction, I'd think that you'd pay anywhere from 150-200 depending on the detailer. Maybe more, maybe less. Dealerships have a bad reputation for putting halfass effort into a car and leaving buffer trails and all that. I can't say every place is the same, but the stereotypes probably exist for a reason. I'd say if your car still has swirl marks and other imperfections, that $200 "wash" isn't worth it.

I seen your car on detailersdomain.com the other day. Heres a pic of mine from awhile back.
DSC01714-1.jpg

DSC01715.jpg

Very nice LS. How are those wheels working out for you? What offset? What products did you use on the car?

Thanks! I love the wheels. The products I used was Menzerna 106FF, Collinite 845 wax, DP Wheel Wax for the wheels, Meguiars tire gel and some other stuff. I get most of my stuff from Autogeek.net. They have the best Customer service anywhere. I had just put a coat of Pinnacle Signature Series II Carnauba Paste Wax and it turned out sweet. It seems some people dont get it what it takes to get a car to look the way our cars look. To do a quick detail it takes me about 4-6 hours because I'm so anal about the way my car looks. For example. Today I had this guy pretty much hanging out of his truck looking at my car. It was funny!!

Awesome selection of products. Menzerna is a nasty brand of polish, relentless formula I'm sure you know what I mean. DP Wheel Glaze is pretty sick stuff, just started using it but I liked it. As far as Collinite 845, it is the rock of car wax. Last's like 3 months at least, and provides a damn good shine for that period. I know what you mean with that color. I've mini-detailed my friend's cars and my cousin always yells to calm down but I have a level of standard that I can't fall below, regardless if I charge or not. Pinnacle wax is also a great product. Anything autogeek.net made is either good-excellent. They settle for nothing less. Do you use a machine polisher? I don't like to for instance, use Armor All products, but their base level tire foam has pretty good cleaning abilities for tires and their Extreme Tire Shine provides a dirty shine for the money.

I use the PC7424. I use the Armor All Extreme tire foam for the inner fender wells. It works pretty good. Just use it before you quick detail or wax your car. Menzerna is real nice but cost a pretty penny. The 106FF cost $49.99 a bottle and I have some Menzerna PO87MC and it cost's $29.99 a bottle. I have so much stuff I would hate to see what it would add up to! My wife would probably kill me.

I use the PC7424. I use the Armor All Extreme tire foam for the inner fender wells. It works pretty good. Just use it before you quick detail or wax your car. Menzerna is real nice but cost a pretty penny. The 106FF cost $49.99 a bottle and I have some Menzerna PO87MC and it cost's $29.99 a bottle. I have so much stuff I would hate to see what it would add up to! My wife would probably kill me.

I know what you mean. If I were married, I'd be divorced. I probably have 1500-2000 bucks worth of stuff.

Check out the Glosshaus system. It did an incredible job on the original paint on my 20 & 27 year old cars and did very well on the LSE. Also Dave is a great gut to deal with and actually will answer questions on the phone. http://www.glosshaus.com/start.php

Members online

Back