LED vs HID Fogs

Jrt1418

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing the HID kit for my headlights soon so I will need to color match the fogs as well (6K). What do you guys use/prefer as far as the fog lights go? I am looking at V-LEDS or DDM for them (H11 bulbs) if I go with LEDs. DDM doesn't list a rating (5k,6k,8k,etc...), but VLEDS does so I am leaning toward them if I go with LEDS. Any suggestions/thoughts?

I've tried them both. HID's need to have the ballast mounted somewhere but they actually project light. LED's are just a bulb swap but they are not as bright. I've tried different colors in both LED's and HID's and never have gotten a perfect match to my OEM HID's.

i have led and i had hid, like rodls says the led does not really project a lot of light but i think it more closely matches the color but hid actually projects light even though the color may be off a little.

its really had to get a great match with mixing HID and LED bulbs.

for the best match, get the same company and temp hid bulbs

Currently using vled 6k's. They look good but not much output at all. I do not have the patience to chase the perfect look so I am leaving well enough alone for now. Part of me almost wants to go back to a halogen fog just because of the actual light output.

I have OEM HIDs with 6Kk bulbs from DDM. And matched the VLEDS 6Kk HID bulbs in the fogs.

I had bad experiences with the longevity of the LED fogs. However, I was using them very often.

I would say it depends on if you care about light output. The LED's will give less projected light than stock halogen but the HID's will project more light than stock halogen. I very much appreciate having HID fogs for some of those roads that need extra help.

Thanks for the input from everyone. I am likely going to go with LEDs in the fogs for now just to save a little money. A good quality set of HID ballasts is not cheap. I am going to avoid going with the cheap $30 dollar ebay kit and spend a bit more for a quality ballast. It sucks the HID market has been polluted with cheap garbage in recent years. I am not terribly concerned with output from the fogs since the HIDs will be much brighter than I am used to, plus I don't use the fogs a whole lot.

The DDM Tuning Slim Ballast HID kit is cheap and worked good for me.
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W
HID's in the fog housing probably glare a lot but at night you could drive with just them on.

Don't get this style of LEDs. They don't long last as Andrizzle said. These seem to last longer. I've had mine for almost a year now and no problems.

I wonder why these are so expensive.

Never seen those before, but it looks like it is meant for actual light output. The heatsink on the back of those is massive. A very high powered LED.

The DDM Tuning Slim Ballast HID kit is cheap and worked good for me.
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W
HID's in the fog housing probably glare a lot but at night you could drive with just them on.

Don't get this style of LEDs. They don't long last as Andrizzle said. These seem to last longer. I've had mine for almost a year now and no problems.

I wonder why these are so expensive.

I have the first style you posted from DDM and they've held up great so far, on top of only costing like $5/bulb compared to the rape prices for the others.

They match my 55W 8K HID's perfectly

Sorry for the editedness of this picture, but these are my 5K hids with 5K leds from ddm tuning. The leds are completely useless for light output, but once the hids warm up a bit (like a minute or so?) they are a near perfect color match. You have to look VERY hard to see the difference. My phones camera isnt actually sensitive enough to see it

577280_1955195360573_867121623_n.jpg

I have OEM HIDs with 6Kk bulbs from DDM. And matched the VLEDS 6Kk HID bulbs in the fogs.

I had bad experiences with the longevity of the LED fogs. However, I was using them very often.

Now... do you have the stock ballasts with the DDM Bulbs? or did you get the slim or raptor ballasts? If you have the stockers... I didn't think that the bulbs would work with them...

My last car for 3 yrs and girlfriends car for 1yr. has had DDM, Love them... and they reasonable on price...

want to match the fogs to headlights (understanding that would be hard so as close to)...so I just ordered the fogs...

but I miss the 6k with the 35w ballast and have been thinking about doing the upgrade on the lows... so if that's the case and your running the bulbs on the LS's factory ballast, shoot Ill just buy the bulbs.

Factory HIDs use a D2R bulb. You can order them in the color of your choice from DDM Tuning.

This is what I bought. The ballasts fit great next to either side of the radiator (once you remove the lenses you'll see what I mean, there's a spot that looks like it was made for this ballast). The light output on the 6000k's is perfect. WAAY better than OEM Halogen, Silverstars, or LEDs.

The quality of the ballasts are very well built. At this price no one should have an excuse to replace their halogens with anything else.

I know this has nothing to do with Lincoln... but since we are on the subject of DDM... My girlfriend whom I spoke of already got a new car... with a alarm. We switch the DDM kit from her cougar to her trailblazer and she hates the fact that went she locks the car the headlights flash, now with DDM HID kit theres not enough power to push the HID ballast and bulbs... so they flicker...

Do they Make a bypass or do I need to take to a shop to have them change the alarm??

if its an aftermarket alarm, it should be possible to rewire it so that it only flashes the parking lights and not the headlights.

Members online

No members online now.
Back