KONI front shock cartridge install progress thread...

98lincmk7lsc

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So, my last day at work was Sept. 8th. I'm getting out of the Navy on Oct. 9th. I was pretty bummed that I wasn't able to get my extra set of front struts prepped for the Koni install before I left.

Well, I was granted permission to come back in (Navy, high security facility, have to have a swipe badge, etc. to gain access) to get some of my final paperwork that wasn't ready before my last day. It wasn't ready, and they told me to come back on Monday. Since I had my badge back and everything, I decided to make good use of it, and went in today and got my front struts all ready for the Koni's. Unfortunately, cameras aren't allowed on site, so I don't have any pictures of the real progress...

Here's me taking apart one of them: I took a picture for each step to show the disassembly of the top, and to help me put it back together in the right order. :D

First, the top nut. It's a 17mm. I had to hold onto the large washer beneath it with a channel-lock pliers, otherwise the shaft just spins with the nut...

IMG_0453%255B1%255D.jpg

Next, the first washer...

IMG_0454%255B1%255D.jpg

Followed by a much smaller washer...

IMG_0455%255B1%255D.jpg

And another large washer...

IMG_0456%255B1%255D.jpg

This is the top of the air bag assembly. You can't see it very well, but there's a small o-ring tight around the shaft that will need to be removed...

IMG_0457%255B1%255D.jpg

Here's where I start to fail with pictures. I turned the air strut upside-down used a soft face hammer and hit the small tabs at the base of the air bag assembly where it goes into the shock bottom alternately until it started moving, and then used a screwdriver to pry and some of my immense strength to dislodge the air bag assembly from the shock base...

IMG_0458%255B1%255D.jpg

Once the air bag assembly is removed, this is what you see. Another small o-ring, a washer, and some kind of bumper thing. Take all of those off...

IMG_0459%255B1%255D.jpg

At this point, I went in to work, and was unable to take any pics until I left many steps later...

I did very much the same thing that DLF did for his...
I chucked the shock assembly into the lathe and drilled a small hole into the very bottom of it to release the pressure. Being on a lathe, I didn't have to worry so much about the pressure release, but if you're using a hand drill, exercise caution, cuz it shot oil out of the hole almost 6 feet away...

After the pressure was all released, I used a very large tubing cutter (pipe cutter?) to cut the top off of the shock assembly, and removed the shock innards and drained the rest of the oil from inside.

Next, I drilled the larger hole in the bottom, for the bolt to run through. I chose to drill and tap it, so the bolt threads through the shock assembly first, and then into the Koni cartridge, rather than just drilling a larger hole for it to slide through. Didn't have to do it that way, I just wanted to. The thread pitch for the bolt is M12-1.50 (metric), and the hole drilled for that thread size is 13/32's. I chucked it back up in the lathe and used the lathe and tail stock as a guide for the drill and the tap so I knew it was perfectly centered and tapped straight.

I threaded the bolt through until it was tight and then threaded the shock cartridge onto it and took it to the weld shop to weld the bolt to the bottom.

I ended up using a couple hex-head bolts I bought from ACE hardware rather than the supplied bolts. I don't know why, I just did. lol. I TIG-welded all around the bolt head (very hard to do, BTW, because of space constraints). After I got it sufficiently welded, I went back to the lathe and turned down the head of the bolt so it didn't stick out so much. This also gave me an easier chance at a better weld, since it was a little more open now. I took it back to the weld shop and welded on it some more since I'm pretty anal about stuff like this. Here's how it turned out...

IMG_2430.jpg

IMG_2432.jpg

IMG_2431.jpg

That's where I'm at, right now, at the end of today. Hopefully, I'll have a chance to get some more done on it tomorrow...

Thanks for reading!

Can't wait for more
I started to do this a few years ago but never got this far
Now I want to try again

I'm kinda thinking about getting the bottoms powdercoated Koni yellow to match the rear shocks, but it might look bad next to the "yellow" color of the plastic on the air bag assembly. I don't know, I might just paint the bead-blasted areas black and be done with it...

Didn't have much time to do anything car-related today, but got a tiny bit done...

Decided that I didn't want to wait for powdercoating, so I just painted them black.

Found a good "bare-metal" primer in my cabinet. Gave it a couple coats of that.

Also found a "high-heat" black paint intended for grills, and the like. Decided it couldn't hurt to give it a couple coats of that.

Lastly, I had a can of gloss black Rustoleum. Finished with a couple coats of that.

IMG_0462%255B1%255D.jpg

I also gave the air bag portion of it a good cleaning with some Simple Green.

I'm letting the paint dry, and I'll try and get some more progress tomorrow if I've got some time...

IMG_0461%255B1%255D.jpg

Ok, so here's the Permatex sealant I used....I just copied what's been used in the past...

IMG_2444.jpg

I placed a liberal amount of the gray stuff around the bottom, put some thread locker on the bottom mounting threads, and some ultra black permatex around the top. I spread it around really well with my finger to make sure it was completely sealed...

IMG_2445.jpg

IMG_2446.jpg

The other one...

IMG_2447.jpg

Both together, curing, until tomorrow...

IMG_2448.jpg

Leaking from the bottom isn't the issue. It's the top, where one of the two O-rings is useless because of the threading on the Koni rod. The one guy I know who did this said his had a slow leak there.

oemshaft.jpg

konishaft2.jpg

This all seems oddly familiar......:)

Good job man.

There aren't many people who have this option. Enjoy it!

Leaking from the bottom isn't the issue. It's the top, where one of the two O-rings is useless because of the threading on the Koni rod. The one guy I know who did this said his had a slow leak there.

oemshaft.jpg

konishaft2.jpg

Any reason why I can't RTV that spot? I was planning on setting the o-ring in some RTV under and around it, and all over....lol

This all seems oddly familiar......:)

Good job man.

There aren't many people who have this option. Enjoy it!

Haha, yeah, it should look familiar to you!

Thanks!

Did a little more on this today...

Put this piece on...

IMG_0484.jpg

Then, the "bumper thingy," this washer, and the inside o-ring, smothered in dielectric grease...

IMG_0488.jpg

Greased the crap out of the bottom o-rings, and reinstalled...

IMG_0487.jpg

Slid the bag section over the shock portion...

IMG_0489.jpg

Thought the next part would be harder than it was. The bottom slid fairly easily into the base...

IMG_0490.jpg

Slipped on the top o-ring, and RTV'd the crap out of it...
I actually ended up putting even more RTV on after I took the picture...

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

Last, the top washer, the lock washer and the top nut...

IMG_0493.jpg

Still have to do the other one, but this one is finished.

Members online

No members online now.
Back