Just installed aftermarket HID's on both Marks.

UltimateSVT

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Miami, FL(Home of the rust free MARK VIII's
Ok guys just as the title says, i just installed aftermarket HID's on both my Marks. I took a couple pictures after the install however i don't think the below mentioned issue is noticeable. On my black 93, the driver's side light is a tad weaker than the passenger side. I can notice it but i recognize that Im very picky. Maybe Im being too anal. Below you will see a couple pics however remember, its harder to notice in pictures. Check 'em out.
I'm also having the "CHECK HEADLAMP" show up on the display on my '93. Which is the infamous trick to stop the message from showing?
By the way, the message comes on whether its on auto setting or turning on the lights manually.

20120323_203521-1.jpg

20120323_203545-1.jpg

20120323_203714.jpg

20120323_203659.jpg

There is a wire in the glove box somewhere which you would have to cut. So are lights brighter than the stock HIDs on the Gen II? And do you get the message in the Gen II when it is set on auto?

I never got a check headlamp message with both of my 93's :s

My 93 always gets the message. We just hit reset.
Both of these responses can only mean one thing... It all comes down to which brand lights we install.

There is a wire in the glove box somewhere which you would have to cut. So are lights brighter than the stock HIDs on the Gen II? And do you get the message in the Gen II when it is set on auto?

They are indeed a bit brighter. They are a bit more blue as well but that's because i went with 8000k lights. I love the way they look. Very crisp, clear view. I don't get any message on my 97. It works just as well as the stock HID's.

Empty the glove box, lower it all the way down. Right next to the latch, you will see a bolt. I forget the size but it's like a 7mm or so. Take that bolt out and pull the "lamp out module" out. Look on the corner of the harness and you will see a brown wire with a light blue stripe. Just clip it and then replace everything back where it goes. Message will never show again.

I can find a link with pics if you need it but it's easy to do. Hardest part about it is dealing with the glove box.

I gave the car to my Son. The only thing in the glove compartment is the reg and ins card and the occasional Trojan box!! That car is always spotless inside and out. He leaves nothing in it.

I gave the car to my Son. The only thing in the glove compartment is the reg and ins card and the occasional Trojan box!! That car is always spotless inside and out. He leaves nothing in it.

Then you'll have that done almost as fast as you get started. The bolt is little but it is about an inch long and why, idk but it is. It's not bolted to anything thicker than a 1/4 of an inch.

Alex did you buy a relayed harness for the '93? That should help them out. I bought 2 relayed harnesses since I am running dual HID's, and they have never missed a beat and are super strong

I get the check headlamp message on mine, I just hit the reset button..don't feel like cutting wires..plus I'm just too lazy to get under the dash and unbolt the glove box..I bought VVME HIDs which were recommended by dlf. I did not install a relay and I have noticed one of my lights is a tad bit bluer than the other (can't remember which one off hand) but it seems like after they warm up the color evens out..maybe it had something to do with the lack of relay and the amount of voltage going to each..I know I've heard people say that if you use the autolamps without a relay one headlight won't light up..not sure though, haven't used the autolamp feature and never will anyway. Which brand HID kit did you buy?

Empty the glove box, lower it all the way down. Right next to the latch, you will see a bolt. I forget the size but it's like a 7mm or so. Take that bolt out and pull the "lamp out module" out. Look on the corner of the harness and you will see a brown wire with a light blue stripe. Just clip it and then replace everything back where it goes. Message will never show again.

I can find a link with pics if you need it but it's easy to do. Hardest part about it is dealing with the glove box.

Thanks for the 411. Sounds similar to the check air ride cancellation procedure. I shall let you guys know how it goes.

Alex did you buy a relayed harness for the '93? That should help them out. I bought 2 relayed harnesses since I am running dual HID's, and they have never missed a beat and are super strong

No i didn't. Just the kits... I have a feeling you might inspire me to install HID's on my 93's high beam. Hmmmm.

yeah let me know what brand you bought and where, this new 94 still has the suicide lights... lol.

I bought a pair of the Xantrex (or something like that) off fleabay, and didn't like them. Ordered the 5k, but they are still too blue for my taste, and were no brighter than the factory halogens (no relay). Also got the error message sometimes, but not all the time, so just took them out and put the halogens back in.

FOR SALE: one pair of Xantrex 9005 5k HID bulbs/ballasts... cheap! :)

Hid

I did both high and low beams on mine with '96 clear housings, did 9000's in both cause I like the blue. Ran both sets through relays direct to the battery and tied 'em together so all four are on when the brights are on.
When I go down the interstae I can sure tell which ones are mine- the white letters on Interstate signs are bright blue. Much better!
I'm installing LSC bumpers this spring and new paint and I'm trying to figure out how to recess some fogs in the bumper as well.

I bought VVME HIDs which were recommended by dlf. I did not install a relay and I have noticed one of my lights is a tad bit bluer than the other (can't remember which one off hand) but it seems like after they warm up the color evens out..maybe it had something to do with the lack of relay and the amount of voltage going to each..I know I've heard people say that if you use the autolamps without a relay one headlight won't light up..not sure though, haven't used the autolamp feature and never will anyway. Which brand HID kit did you buy?

I installed the VVME kit as well, also without the relay harness (the consensus seemed to be at the time that you didn't need it). With the Autolamp feature, the passenger headlight usually doesn't come on, so I turned that off. But I still notice that when I turn the lights on manually, that same headlight sometimes doesn't come on. So I switch off and then back on and it generally lights up. Really annoying if it's not dark enough outside to see from the driver's seat whether they're both on. Gotta actually get back out of the car and check.
I may go ahead and get the relay harness after all, is it hard to wire into an already installed setup?

Also, isn't it true that using HIDs for the high beams is a bad idea, because they get flicked on and off so much? Seem to recall reading that.

Ultimately I'd like to rig it up so that the highs are just on high but the low's are on all the time. I am for sure going to get a set with a relay harness, been there done that for a jeep that a friend of mine has.

I think im going to order a set this week, i have a better set of housings than the ones in the car, but how much does the housing affect this other than the clearness of the lens?

If i don't have to swap the housings out, that is much better.

Gen 2's don't need a relay harness, but I wouldn't install HID's in a Gen 1 without one.

Gen 2's don't need a relay harness, but I wouldn't install HID's in a Gen 1 without one.

Including a 96?

If the answer is yes, I'm ordering the relay harness from VVME tonight. Are they hard to install into an already existing HID installation?

Including a 96?

If the answer is yes, I'm ordering the relay harness from VVME tonight. Are they hard to install into an already existing HID installation?

Unless the car was originally equipped with factory HID's, then it needs the relay harness.

Unless the car was originally equipped with factory HID's, then it needs the relay harness.

Mine's an LSC, and was equipped with factory HIDs (both dead, and that was the reason that the original owner sold me the car. Old boy took it to a dealership to get it fixed, and almost had a heart attack when he found out what it'd run him). Okay, no relay harness. Any idea why the passenger side headlight is so iffy about when it wants to come on at the flip of the switch?

Oh, and thanks again both for your adapters and for introducing me to this forum. Yer a hero in my book. :D

Mine's an LSC, and was equipped with factory HIDs (both dead, and that was the reason that the original owner sold me the car. Old boy took it to a dealership to get it fixed, and almost had a heart attack when he found out what it'd run him). Okay, no relay harness. Any idea why the passenger side headlight is so iffy about when it wants to come on at the flip of the switch?

Oh, and thanks again both for your adapters and for introducing me to this forum. Yer a hero in my book. :D

HID-relay-01.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back