is this bad?

ilovemyls

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
i spotted this on my drivers side rear wheel when i was putting air in it earlier, looks like something isnt connected when i compared it to the passenger side, never noticed this before, i've never messed with the brakes on my car so dont know much about them, any help on this would be much appreciated

drivers side
imag0410n.jpg

passenger side
imag0412co.jpg

Your missing the caliper bolt. Do not drive the car until it is replaced or repaired as you could lose your brakes.

Holy s*it. Those lines also don't look stock.

+1 on Brake caliper bolt (2 required) tightens to 26 lb-ft.

or, brake caliper anchor plate bolts.

http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6x64004.htm~gen~ref.htm

Although you have an 02 the above is a link to 06 rear brake system exploded view.

I would take that apart and see what else got/is damaged or missing.
You might be in for more then just the bolts.

Pads and rotor are most likely worn uneven and I would suspect entire complete replacement.

I don't even see the inside pad in that photo.

SECTION 206-04: Rear Disc Brake

http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6xs640l.htm~gen~ref.htm

Holy s*it. Those lines also don't look stock.

slotted rotors and brand new dust plates. AKA Brake disc shields.

looks like someone was in there and hand tightened it all back together.

appreciate the help, scary part is i have no idea how long its been like that, doesnt make any funny noise or anything, car stops the same as it always has

Man I must be getting old I can't see anything you guys are saying is missing. Also in one pic I can see its the outboard pad you see?

Yup, I see the inner pad now.

imag0410n.jpg

imag0410n.jpg

appreciate the help, scary part is i have no idea how long its been like that, doesnt make any funny noise or anything, car stops the same as it always has

Looks like the way the caliper is sitting, the bottom bolt is holding it in place.

something like this, with the LS having vaginas for rear brakes, and with the rear brakes set up to not apply as much braking power as the fronts, you might never have noticed it.

If it was your front caliper, you'd know it, a hard brake would pull the car into oncoming traffic in a hurry.

The rear brakes just ride along, they don't do the majority of braking anyhow.

If i were to say that brakes on cars are set up front 65% and rear brake set up is remaining 35%, I probably wouldn't be far off on those numbers.

Don't quote me though, I'm mostly a damn fool !!!

I lost that bolt driving once and almost lost the car completely!!!! VERY SERIOUS STUFF!!!!

Yup, I see the inner pad now.

View attachment 828451528

That's actually the inside edge of the rotor. Rears are still vented. The inner pad is likely still there unless it broke apart from misalignment, you just cant see it from this angle/lighting. Still, scary! Makes you question if the others are properly tightened. Hopefully the slide bolt is not snapped off in the caliper bracket. In addition to new pads and rotor(s) (for both sides if the brakes are not new within the last 6 months or so) you may need a new bracket.

Someone definitely did the brakes last time, it looks like they used normal black paint to paint them. And it is peeling/looking like sh!t.

That's actually the inside edge of the rotor. Rears are still vented. The inner pad is likely still there unless it broke apart from misalignment, you just cant see it from this angle/lighting. Still, scary! Makes you question if the others are properly tightened. Hopefully the slide bolt is not snapped off in the caliper bracket. In addition to new pads and rotor(s) (for both sides if the brakes are not new within the last 6 months or so) you may need a new bracket.

+1

the pads would still be held in by the caliper mount bracket... not the caliper itself

Someone definitely did the brakes last time, it looks like they used normal black paint to paint them. And it is peeling/looking like sh!t.

Was just about to point that out. I'm suprised it took this long for one of ya to mention it. :)

+1

the pads would still be held in by the caliper mount bracket... not the caliper itself

Correct, the pad's backing at minimum will still be in there. The abrasive might not be. THe outer pad will make up for that lmao!

LOL Only 1 picture was coming up when looking at this thread. It popped up 2 pics today and can see missing bolt now.

well i got the chance to get in there today and see the totality of the problem. the caliber bolt sheared off, bottom half was still inside the guide pin. took everything apart including the bracket, brake pads, and rotor, good news is everything still looked almost new for some reason. brakes pads were evenly worn, rotors had no indents or odd wear on the back or front. so put a new guide pin and caliber bolt in and assembled everything, good as new now, i actually noticed a slight improvement in the braking, better than i've ever experienced on the car and i've had it for over 2 years. thanks for all your help

... actually noticed a slight improvement in the braking, better than i've ever experienced on the car and i've had it for over 2 years.

2 years ? you serviced or had the brakes serviced since you owned it ?

To think that you could have been driving it like that for 2 years, now that's the scariest part.

If I was you, I'd be checking all around and torquing that sh*t down.

Not too long ago, me and my bud, partially redid the rears, after I smoked the drivers side due to the Ebrake sticking once on me.

Now I have this huge urge to double check our work. (beers were involved)

Anyhow, glad you fix it.

Oh crap, my wifes car, needs brakes, like last month.

I'm on it tomorrow, making some calls first thing in the morning.
(she gets the cheap white boxed parts though) sssttt !!!

... and another wheel bearing again %$^&%^!#$^&*(@ !!!!!!!!!

no i've never had anybody work on my brakes since i've had the car, and i should probably check the other brakes. if anything they might be over torqued. the bottom bolt on the back to a good amount of elbow grease to get loose which could have led to the top bolt shearing off but again im no expert

Members online

No members online now.
Back