is this bad?

no i've never had anybody work on my brakes since i've had the car, and i should probably check the other brakes. if anything they might be over torqued. the bottom bolt on the back to a good amount of elbow grease to get loose which could have led to the top bolt shearing off but again im no expert

If the guide pins only call for 25 ft-lbs torque, that very well could have been the issue, being overtorqued. That's not a lot of torque, at all, and a 1/2 in ratchet would have been more than enough to break them loose with minimal effort.

If I were you, I'd round up the brake hardware for all four wheels, and re-do the whole shebang, just to be sure/safe there's not another suspect caliper bolt on the verge of letting go.

If you re-paint the calipers, you could just use Drooplicolor's caliper paint. I did my brakes ( on my other car ) a little over two years ago and that's what I used. So far, no peeling, no runs, drips, or errors. I was pretty anal about it since I was rebuilding them at the time. Washed them good, then took a drill with a couple wire wheels to get the majority of it, then the smaller more confined areas a Dremel with small wire wheels. Washed them again, sprayed with the prep spray, then two or three light coats of caliper paint spray.

If you decide to put new pads on, I'd rec. Hawk performance ceramic pads, the HB series of pad. They make zero noise, and pretty much zero dust. The only thing you'd need to be aware of with them is their initial cold ( first stop of the day ) bite. It's a little "weak", but after you apply the brakes a time or two, it's all good. Also, if the pads are currently a stock or organic type, the pedal feel will be different, some call it a "wooden" feel. It's not by any means bad, just different.

Members online

No members online now.
Back