International Atheists declare church/state principles

The fact is that in both the House and the Senate, special tactics had to be utilized to get the bill around the committee chairs who were bottling up the bill, both Democrats. Then the bill had to get around a Democrat filibuster.

The fact is that the split in the Democrat party was more like 60-40 and the Republican split was 80-20.

Nice try fox.

You should try reading up on history instead of urging Shag to read up on it. He has a better grasp on it than you do.

Again, you are grossly misrepresenting conservatism by simplistically making a false distinction of the Democrat party being split along "conservative and liberal" lines over the 1965 CRA. That has been a leftist talking point for years now but it is based on mere assertion along with cherry picked circumstantial evidence; half truths

Than how about posting the results of the vote shag - that would speak for itself wouldn't it?

By Party and Region

The Original House Version:

* Southern Democrats: 7-87 (seven percent-93 percent)
* Southern Republicans: 0-10 (zero percent-100 percent)
* Northern Democrats: 145-9 (94 percent-six percent)
* Northern Republicans: 138-24 (85 percent-15 percent)

The Senate Version:

* Southern Democrats: 1-20 (five percent-95 percent)
* Southern Republicans: 0-1 (zero percent-100 percent)
* Northern Democrats: 45-1 (98 percent-2 percent)
* Northern Republicans: 27-5 (84 percent-16 percent)

As you can see It was a north/south issue and not a Dem/Rep issue...

Heck no southern Republicans voted for it at all - zero... if you want to go down those lines shag. The dems had a tiny, tiny percentage that voted for it in the south - republicans, absolutely none. And if you go by the north - the democrats outvoted the republicans for it -

There very much was a split in the party along north/south lines shag - why would you try to say differently?

Well - back to the subject at hand - how about those interracial marriage laws shag - sort of ties in with the civil rights act...

Than how about posting the results of the vote shag - that would speak for itself wouldn't it?

No, it would not speak for itself.

First; the numbers, as you present them are deceptive and misleading. They downplay and ignore very relevant information like; the party majorities in both houses, the party majorities by region, etc. Statistics don't lie. Liars use statistics.

Second; it ignores the reasons that the different members from different parties and/or different viewpoints may have opposed the bill. There were plenty of reasons a person might have opposed the bill that had nothing to do with race. The rationale for voting for or against the 1965 CRA is at the heart of determining any racism along ideological lines and your numbers give no indication of that whatsoever. To equate opposition to the 1965 CRA with racism (as you are implicitly doing) is to make a false generalization; to mislead.

Third; "Democrat" is not synonymous with "liberal" and "Republican" is not synonymous with "conservative". Your entire argument hinges on ignoring that fact.

By your logic, you would HAVE to conclude that liberals are inherently racist. As fossten pointed out...
The fact is that in both the House and the Senate, special tactics had to be utilized to get the bill around the committee chairs who were bottling up the bill, both Democrats. Then the bill had to get around a Democrat filibuster.
That Democrat filibuster? Democrat and former Exalted Cyclops of the KKK Senator Robert Byrd. Many Democrats/liberals were recently singing the late Senator's praises; including Bill Clinton and Barak Obama.

Byrd has, throughout his legislative career consistently supported liberal positions as well.

By your own logic, you would HAVE to conclude that liberals are racists.

However, that would be just as absurd as claiming that conservatives are racist.

There very much was a split in the party along north/south lines shag - why would you try to say differently?

That is NOT what I said and you know it.

I was pointing out that the Democrat party was not divided along conservative/liberal lines. Your argument assumes the north/south dichotomy is synonymous with the liberal/conservative dichotomy. That is nothing but a subtle attempt to deceptively inject a false premise into the discussion that you cannot honestly and directly get agreement on. Where is your good faith in discussing these things?

All you have to offer is a misrepresentation of my argument, tortured logic, rhetorical sleight-of-hand and cherry picked circumstantial evidence. Unfortunately, that is all you ever offer to support these "racist" claims by the left against their opponents.

Is attempting to falsely brand conservatives as "racist" all you and the left have anymore? While it has been a false narrative the left has been using for decades as a rhetorical bludgeon to cowardly short circuit any honest debate, it is rooted in lies, half truths and deceptions. As has been demonstrated in this thread.

That talking point has become a joke because of the tortured "logic" used to support that lie. If that is all you have, you have nothing.

And considering your desperation in promoting that narrative on this forum, you clearly have nothing else.

Stay classy! ;)

By the way fox, there is no such thing as a conservative democrat. You're just trying to redefine terms to suit your argument - which is that conservatives are racist.

You know this argument doesn't hold water, yet you cling to it bitterly.

You have no integrity.

You are a conservative foss - I thought you were a more-or-less libertarian, when the mood struck. Which one is it?
:lol: You really are desperate, aren't you? You have no idea what you're talking about, so you try to distract with this irrelevant question?

Let me answer your question with a question, Vapo-rub:

Which of my views, if any, are not conservative?

This is really a ‘conservative’ question. Never change. Tradition is always right. People and societies don’t change course, don’t ever alter. It is the ultimate in conservatism. Stick your head in the sand and hope that ‘tradition’ will rule the day.

That may just be the most blatantly obvious straw man you have ever posted on this forum.

The fact that you can't admit to it shows why there is no chance of honest discussion with you...

No, it would not speak for itself.

First; the numbers, as you present them are deceptive and misleading. They downplay and ignore very relevant information like; the party majorities in both houses, the party majorities by region, etc. Statistics don't lie. Liars use statistics.

Shag - what are you doing?

That is the actual vote - it clearly shows who has the majority in both houses, it is broken down by south/north, as well as who has the majority in those regions.

The actual vote doesn't lie shag - and my discussion had nothing to do with racism or anything else, you are the one that is skewing the discussion in that direction - not me

This was just just in answer to the continuing saga of the Democrats in the south voting against the CRA - the numbers clearly show that, I don't even try to argue that - I know the numbers don't lie - however, I can also claim that there wasn't one Republican that voted for the CRA from the south. We talked about this before. Those democrats are commonly referred to as 'conservative democrats' or as you noted 'dixiecrats'.

I know democrat doesn't hinge on the word liberal nor does republican hinge on conservative -

But, you always refer to wiki when you want definitions - where should we go for your 'correct' definition of conservative if not your usual source of choice.

Is attempting to falsely brand conservatives as "racist" all you and the left have anymore? While it has been a false narrative the left has been using for decades as a rhetorical bludgeon to cowardly short circuit any honest debate, it is rooted in lies, half truths and deceptions. As has been demonstrated in this thread.

Where did I do that - show me that post, show me that quote. I would really like to see that - or I would like you to retract that statement. All I said is that it was the conservative Democrats in the south that voted against it... It is what they were called - as I pointed out with a reference from Conservapedia above - and you can google it - it was/is a very common term for that group of democrats at that point in time.

So - now that you have carried this discussion into the realm of smearing me with things I haven't even said - how about going back to marriage -

Don't you think that there are correlations to be drawn between the miscegenation laws of the first half of the 1900s and the gay marriage discussion?

Rather than continuing to misdirect in hopes of burying this, how about looking at the article you posted (post #47), and lets see where it has weaknesses and also see if there are any strengths in the article.

Fox, give it a rest. You smear conservatives (notably Tea Partiers) as racist all the time. Do you want me to link the threads where you've STARTED the discussion about it?

Fact is, in this THREAD you've tried to juxtapose your own definition of current conservative thinking - traditionalist, non-changing, etc. - with the racist Democrats that voted against the Civil Rights act. You haven't bothered to make a distinction between the two uses of the term 'conservative', so it's clear you mean the same definition for both uses. Thus, you imply - no, you state - that conservatives are racist.

Shag and I have both objected (accurately) to your moronic, myopic definition of conservative, and of your inclusion of racism into its definition.

Your response - "Wha-? Me? But conservapedia.com said it!" You're full of crap. In one breath you both deny and confirm that you're smearing conservatives as racist. :lol:

There is no such thing as a conservative Democrat in Congress.

Jeez, you're like Obama - you think your stupid Jedi mind tricks work -

[wave of the hand] "These aren't the smears you're looking for."

You're pathetic.

Nobody's going to apologize or retract something that's true.

Foxpaws: "X."
Shag/Fossten: "X is not correct."
Foxpaws: "I never said X! How dare you! You retract that or link it!"
Shag/Fossten:"Okay, here's the link."
Foxpaws: "See, that proves that I didn't say X. I said X but I meant Y. You're wrong."

Foxy, your link really doesn't help you
  • It doesn't disprove my claim that, "The conservative label [in reference to southern democrats/dixicrats] came later by leftists looking to opportunistically label conservatives as racist"
  • It doesn't prove the simplistic, false definition of conservatism that you give
  • It doesn't prove your implied claim that conservatives are racist. As much as you try to deny it, that is what you are implying. You know it and it is apparent to anyone and everyone reading this thread who is familiar with our pattern. Otherwise, there would be no reason to go to all the trouble you are doing to try and label southern, anti-1965 CRA Democrats as "conservative".

It is also interesting how you gloss over and avoid the points I raised in post #103. Can you not grasp those points or are you simply avoiding them?

You don't seem to understand the first point. The numbers as you present them downplay the fact that there were a lot more southern Dems then there were Republicans (there is no other reason to point out percentages as you do other then to downplay that point and mislead).

I will say that it is entertaining to watch you try and sound informed on something you are utterly clueless about. Instead of admitting that you were wrong about conservatism and that you were setting up a rather blatant straw man, you keep digging yourself deeper.

hubris: Overbearing pride or presumption; arrogance

You could simply admit you were wrong and be done with it, but you won't. And I will not let a LIE like that slide.

since you asked...

I gave only raw numbers - they aren't misleading or deceptive. They clearly show how the voting was split across party and region. If you can add, you can also figure out who had the majority in both houses (hint - take the 'fors' and againsts' and add them up). You can't lie when you just show the raw numbers shag - I haven't 'spun' them at all.

Second; it ignores the reasons that the different members from different parties and/or different viewpoints may have opposed the bill. There were plenty of reasons a person might have opposed the bill that had nothing to do with race. The rationale for voting for or against the 1965 CRA is at the heart of determining any racism along ideological lines and your numbers give no indication of that whatsoever. To equate opposition to the 1965 CRA with racism (as you are implicitly doing) is to make a false generalization; to mislead.

I never injected race into this - I haven't implied it, I didn't even broach this subject first - Foss did. I was agreeing with him that it was Democrats in the south that voted against the CRA. I never once injected why. You are doing that. I did say that it was conservative Democrats, because that is what they were called at the time. Heck, LBJ was chosen to be on the ticket with Kennedy because it was thought that he would be able to attract the conservative democrats in the south... They were called 'conservative' because they didn't want things to change in the south. They wanted to 'conserve' the status quo. I can't change what they were known as. I was using the term correctly, as it has been used historically to describe those southern democrats.

I am sorry if it has offended your conservative sense of self shag - but it is what they were called. How many examples do you want? (and these are just about LBJ and his relationship with the southern conservative democrats). Are you so defined by this label - really? I am a dem, have been forever, I am not afraid to say it was Dems in the south that voted against the CRA - it was, I can't change that. Just as you can't change the fact that they were known as conservative Dems, with good cause, they wanted to conserve things, not have things change.

Third; "Democrat" is not synonymous with "liberal" and "Republican" is not synonymous with "conservative". Your entire argument hinges on ignoring that fact.

My argument - what argument?

By your logic, you would HAVE to conclude that liberals are inherently racist. As fossten pointed out...
That Democrat filibuster? Democrat and former Exalted Cyclops of the KKK Senator Robert Byrd. Many Democrats/liberals were recently singing the late Senator's praises; including Bill Clinton and Barak Obama.

Where is this bunk coming from - I never even talked about any of this - I only agreed with fossten that it was the southern Democrats that voted against CRA - once again, commonly referred to as conservative southern Dems. (those links are to sites regarding the history of the Civil Rights Act, and the actions by the conservative southern democrats.)

Byrd has, throughout his legislative career consistently supported liberal positions as well.

By your own logic, you would HAVE to conclude that liberals are racists.

However, that would be just as absurd as claiming that conservatives are racist.

So, quick - show me where I claimed conservatives are racists.

I was pointing out that the Democrat party was not divided along conservative/liberal lines. Your argument assumes the north/south dichotomy is synonymous with the liberal/conservative dichotomy. That is nothing but a subtle attempt to deceptively inject a false premise into the discussion that you cannot honestly and directly get agreement on. Where is your good faith in discussing these things?

You might want to start reading those links - especially this one - it is from one of your favorite sources - NRO.
First was an unholy alliance between conservative southern Democrats and liberal northern Democrats. This alliance was maintained by the seniority system in Congress, which allowed southerners to chair many of the most important committees. Congressional seats in the South tend to be safer than those in the North, thus allowing conservative Democrats to gain seniority and power at the expense of their northern liberal colleagues.​

All you have to offer is a misrepresentation of my argument, tortured logic, rhetorical sleight-of-hand and cherry picked circumstantial evidence. Unfortunately, that is all you ever offer to support these "racist" claims by the left against their opponents.

Once again - show me where I claimed racists - I would love to see that post.

That talking point has become a joke because of the tortured "logic" used to support that lie. If that is all you have, you have nothing.

ditto - please quote my post.

And considering your desperation in promoting that narrative on this forum, you clearly have nothing else.

Stay classy! ;)

Shag - you really should read some history instead of the constant diet you seem to have of right wing blogs -

As far as the split of the Democrat Party during the mid 1900s - and the roll of the conservative southern Democrats and the liberal northern Democrats, I would recommend: JFK, LBJ and the Democratic Party by Sean Savage - it is available online.

You could class up your own act shag, by just becoming aware of common historical fact. ;)

I will say that it is entertaining to watch you try and sound informed on something you are utterly clueless about. Instead of admitting that you were wrong about conservatism and that you were setting up a rather blatant straw man, you keep digging yourself deeper.

And shag - you might just want to tone down the little 'clueless' rhetoric. Obviously your grasp of history of the mid 1900s is really lacking. I am not wrong calling those southern dems 'conservative' because it is what they are commonly called.

Where is this bunk coming from - I never even talked about any of this - I only agreed with fossten that it was the southern Democrats that voted against CRA - once again, commonly referred to as conservative southern Dems. (those links are to sites regarding the history of the Civil Rights Act, and the actions by the conservative southern democrats.)
Tsk tsk, fox, misquoting me again?

Please show me where I said that.

If you can't produce the quote, then you need to retract your statement.

I gave only raw numbers - they aren't misleading or deceptive.

You did more then that. You highlighted percentages in a way that misleads. In fact, the way you presented those numbers is inherently misleading.

I was agreeing with him that it was Democrats in the south that voted against the CRA. I never once injected why.
This is really a ‘conservative’ question. Never change. Tradition is always right. People and societies don’t change course, don’t ever alter. It is the ultimate in conservatism. Stick your head in the sand and hope that ‘tradition’ will rule the day

How odd that it took the ultimate in classic liberalism to give us that Bill of Rights. The conservatives were on the side of the Brits Foss... Left to the conservatives we would still be feeding the coffers of the Queen.

Everything I said is correct when tying conservatives to this question - conserve, at all costs, tradition, status quo, the way it was. You might want to review the definition of conservative foss -

Yep - the conservative [your emphasis] Democrats of the south, in a block, voted against the Civil Rights Act.

Just as the 'conservatives' of the later part of the 18th century would have been for keeping the states as a colony of Britain, they wanted to conserve the current state of affairs...

Conservative - to hold onto traditional values, which in the 1760s were Britain's values. The conservatives wanted to remain tied to Britain - it was those upstart, radical, liberals that bucked the system, that started a revolution.

You misrepresented Conservatism through half-truths and gross oversimplification and generalization. You then tied the opposition in the Democrat party of the CRA to conservatism.

You can't be blamed too much for thinking that initially, I guess. That is leftist dogma of course. However you can be blamed for your lack of intellectual integrity in your clear inability to critically examine that notion.

I am sorry if it has offended your conservative sense of self shag - but it is what they were called. How many examples do you want? (and these are just about LBJ and his relationship with the southern conservative democrats).

It is certainly called that...now...by leftist academics. You are intentionally ignoring the specifics of what I am saying.

That distinction was not around at the time of the time of the CRA and is not rooted in ideology or philosophy. It is a false distinction aimed at smearing conservatives. NOTHING you have said or cited challenges that fact in any way.

The best you have offered is leftist sources using the same rhetorical misdirection that you are using, ignorant news sources regurgitating what they have been taught by leftist academic sources using that rhetorical misdirection, or historical accounts from a left of center view colored by that rhetorical misdirection.

You might want to start reading those links - especially this one - it is from one of your favorite sources - NRO.

You might want to look at the context of that piece and the timeframe in question. Also, knowing the liniage of conservative thought might be helpful. There really were no political "conservatives" in the Burkean or the modern sense during the first half of the 20th century.

As much as you lecture me about not knowing history, you are the only one showing an utter ignorance of history here. Specifically, relevant history.

Instead of simply citing leftist revisionist history and refusing to critically examine it, maybe you should learn the lineage of the various philosophical ideas in play. Of course that would mean focusing on philosophy, which you find "boring". If you cannot do that, then don't presume to lecture someone who has done his research on something you know next to nothing about.

If you are truly interested in researching the lineage of conservative thought, read Russell Kirk's, "The Conservative Mind". It's whole focus is to trace the roots of conservative thought. In many ways, that book when it came out in 1953, as well as a few others started a resurgence of conservatism that had been largely absent from politics up till that point in America.

That movement started by Kirk, Buckley and a few others didn't rise to national prominence until the presidential campaign of Barry Goldwater. It arguably peaked with Reagan.

Oh, and you can stop with the smear attempt concerning only "right wing blogs" and what not. You know me better then that and have conveyed as much in private messages.

Here's what I actually said:
For example, if the Democrats had had their way, the Civil Rights act would never have passed.
Here's what foxpaws said:
Yep - the conservative Democrats of the south, in a block, voted against the Civil Rights Act.

Just as the 'conservatives' of the later part of the 18th century would have been for keeping the states as a colony of Britain, they wanted to conserve the current state of affairs...

Conservative - to hold onto traditional values, which in the 1760s were Britain's values. The conservatives wanted to remain tied to Britain - it was those upstart, radical, liberals that bucked the system, that started a revolution.

As a political 'word' it arose in France - defining those that wanted a return to the monarchy after the revolution, and in Britain, that things should be subjugated to aristocracy. Ah, the good old days.

Once again, conserve - to keep the same... to resist change... to tie oneself to tradition.

You are a conservative foss - I thought you were a more-or-less libertarian, when the mood struck. Which one is it?
SHE is the one who emphasized 'conservative' in her quote. I never said it.

So, as you can see, foxpaws tried to make it look like I was the one who said that it was 'conservative Democrats in the south' who voted against the CRA - by pretending to agree with a phantom statement AND ATTRIBUTING IT TO ME - but I did NOT say that. She is literally misquoting me by continuing to claim that she agreed with me on something that we did NOT agree on - thus perpetually cementing her reputation as a liar and a demagogue. It's a slick tactic - but it won't fly here.

You did more then that. You highlighted percentages in a way that misleads. In fact, the way you presented those numbers is inherently misleading.
Misleading - it is just percentages - that is all it is shag - broken out by party and then broken out by region - raw, unpolished, just what you asked for numbers. They don't lie, they don't have an opinion, they are what they are.

I am sorry if they don't reflect something you want them too - maybe you should find whatever numbers you want regarding the vote. The vote is the vote, and the numbers are what they are.

You misrepresented Conservatism through half-truths and gross oversimplification and generalization. You then tied the opposition in the Democrat party of the CRA to conservatism.

You can't be blamed too much for thinking that initially, I guess. That is leftist dogma of course. However you can be blamed for your lack of intellectual integrity in your clear inability to critically examine that notion.

They were called 'conservative southern democrats' because they wanted to conserve the status quo in the south. The very definition of conservative - do not change. Once again shag - you might want to check oh, any history book, show, site, it is a very common term.

It is certainly called that...now...by leftist academics. You are intentionally ignoring the specifics of what I am saying.

That distinction was not around at the time of the time of the CRA and is not rooted in ideology or philosophy. It is a false distinction aimed at smearing conservatives. NOTHING you have said or cited challenges that fact in any way.

The best you have offered is leftist sources using the same rhetorical misdirection that you are using, ignorant news sources regurgitating what they have been taught by leftist academic sources using that rhetorical misdirection, or historical accounts from a left of center view colored by that rhetorical misdirection.

Well, I found sources from the history channel, the UK even one of your own very favorite sources NRO just to be fair. Lets look at Forbes, Real Clear Politics, Politico, The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, FoxNews if you just want to look at what your side likes....

You might want to look at the context of that piece and the timeframe in question. Also, knowing the liniage of conservative thought might be helpful. There really were no political "conservatives" in the Burkean or the modern sense during the first half of the 20th century.

As much as you lecture me about not knowing history, you are the only one showing an utter ignorance of history here. Specifically, relevant history.

shag - once again - crack open a history book... it would do you some good.

It is what those Democrats were called - have been called and will continue to be called, because they wanted to conserve the status quo. Sorry it offends your sense of conservatism, but you can't change what they are referred to by, well, everyone.
Instead of simply citing leftist revisionist history and refusing to critically examine it, maybe you should learn the lineage of the various philosophical ideas in play. Of course that would mean focusing on philosophy, which you find "boring". If you cannot do that, then don't presume to lecture someone who has done his research on something you know next to nothing about.

If you are truly interested in researching the lineage of conservative thought, read Russell Kirk's, "The Conservative Mind". It's whole focus is to trace the roots of conservative thought. In many ways, that book when it came out in 1953, as well as a few others started a resurgence of conservatism that, essentially, been long dead in politics during the 20th century.

That movement didn't rise to national prominence until the presidential campaign of Barry Goldwater. It arguably peaked with Reagan.

Really shag - you want to go down that route - because if you would actually know history - many of the conservative democrats in the south started to leave the party, starting in 1964, and move to the republican party. Many of them voted for Barry Goldwater... In fact the deep south (5 southern states) and Arizona where the only states Goldwater carried. It marks the shift in the south. The south had never voted Republican since Reconstruction. It was the whole 'Lincoln' thing... all those conservative Democrats, made up the beginning of your conservative movement shag.

I thought your ignorance of history was rather apparent, now it can just bite you in the butt shag -

Here's what I actually said:

Here's what foxpaws said:
SHE is the one who emphasized 'conservative' in her quote. I never said it.

So, as you can see, foxpaws tried to make it look like I was the one who said that it was 'conservative Democrats in the south' who voted against the CRA - by pretending to agree with a phantom statement AND ATTRIBUTING IT TO ME - but I did NOT say that. She is literally misquoting me by continuing to claim that she agreed with me on something that we did NOT agree on - thus perpetually cementing her reputation as a liar and a demagogue. It's a slick tactic - but it won't fly here.

That's a stretch.
You said if Democrats in general had their way (I presume) and she said yes but it was conservative democrats in the south.
I think they were called Reagan democrats at one time.
You're the one saying she put words in your mouth but the text says she was not disagreeing, just elaborating.
Democrat senator Robert Byrd who just died was a member of the KKK at one point in his life.
Your just being neurotic about Foxy with your fake outrage and accusations.

That's a stretch.
You said if Democrats in general had their way (I presume) and she said yes but it was conservative democrats in the south.
I think they were called Reagan democrats at one time.
You're the one saying she put words in your mouth but the text says she was not disagreeing, just elaborating.
Democrat senator Robert Byrd who just died was a member of the KKK at one point in his life.
Your just being neurotic about Foxy with your fake outrage and accusations.
You're being an idiot - what are you, an internet pshrink? Give me a break. Even you can't quote me without injecting your own interpretation into it. Nice try.

Misleading - it is just percentages - that is all it is shag - broken out by party and then broken out by region - raw, unpolished, just what you asked for numbers. They don't lie, they don't have an opinion, they are what they are.

Why didn't you cite the percentage of southern Democrats to southern Republicans? How come you only cited the percentages/ratios that you cited?

What can logically be drawn from the numbers anyhow? What purpose is there to citing the?

The very definition of conservative - do not change. Once again shag - you might want to check oh, any history book, show, site, it is a very common term.

You are equivocating. Switching between a general definition of conservative and an ideological/philosophical definition of conservative. Your argument hinges of blurring those lines. Otherwise, you would have noted that distiction.

Philosophical conservatism is NOT simply "preserving the status quo". To claim that is to set up a blatant straw man. To now equivocate is simply a way to avoid confronting that fact.

Well, I found sources from the history channel, the UK even one of your own very favorite sources NRO just to be fair. Lets look at Forbes, Real Clear Politics, Politico, The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, FoxNews if you just want to look at what your side likes....

Again, do any of those sources show that those democrats were referred to as conservative IN 1965. Simply siting modern sources that look back and refer to them as conservative is irrelevant. Do you not understand what you need to prove? Are you simply spamming sources for the sake of spamming them?

Really shag - you want to go down that route - because if you would actually know history

Maybe you should go back and look at the context of what I was responding to. I was focusing on the context of the NRO article you cited:
There were a number of factors that cemented the Democratic majority from 1932 to 1994 (interrupted only by two Republican congresses from 1946-48 and 1952-54, and Republican control of the Senate from 1980-86).

First was an unholy alliance between conservative southern Democrats and liberal northern Democrats. This alliance was maintained by the seniority system in Congress, which allowed southerners to chair many of the most important committees. Congressional seats in the South tend to be safer than those in the North, thus allowing conservative Democrats to gain seniority and power at the expense of their northern liberal colleagues.
I was pointing out that there was no philosophical conservatism in play nationally in 1932. In fact, it didn't start until the late 1950's and into the 1960's.

Apparently context doesn't matter to you...

Isn't it amusing that when foxpaws tries to cite examples of current conservative Democrats, her examples usually end up switching to the Republican Party. :rolleyes:

You're being an idiot - what are you, an internet pshrink? Give me a break. Even you can't quote me without injecting your own interpretation into it. Nice try.

Originally Posted by fossten
viewpost.gif

For example, if the Democrats had had their way, the Civil Rights act would never have passed.

What's to interpret.

If these Democrats who voted against the 1965 CRA were "conservative", what traditions, values, etc. were they looking to conserve?

Originally Posted by fossten
viewpost.gif

What's to interpret.
I'll gladly concede the point IF you can show where I a) specifically stated or b) implied through context that the Democrats who voted against the CRA were conservative.

Hint: Go read the whole thread if you're going to try and keep up - but then again, reading context isn't your strong suit, is it. I don't have the time to bring you up to speed.

Foxy, I will go through, specifically how you are misrepresenting conservatism.
This is really a ‘conservative’ question. Never change. Tradition is always right. People and societies don’t change course, don’t ever alter. It is the ultimate in conservatism. Stick your head in the sand and hope that ‘tradition’ will rule the day
You have said or implied similar things in other posts in this thread as well. While it is certainly true that conservatism, of any stripe, is not as radical when it comes to change as those of a more liberal persuasion, that hardly means that conservatives oppose change.

Edmund Burke is generally thought of as the father of conservatism. He is to conservatism what John Locke is to classical liberalism. Burke NEVER suggested that all change was bad or that change should, in general be opposed. He wrote the following:
We must all obey the great law of change. It is the most powerful law of nature, and the means perhaps of its conservation. All we can do, and that human wisdom can do, is to provide that the change shall proceed by insensible degrees. This has all the benefits which may be in change, without any of the inconveniences of mutation. This mode will, on the one hand, prevent the unfixing old interests at once: a thing which is apt to breed a black and sullen discontent in those who are at once dispossessed of all their influence and consideration. This gradual course, on the other hand, will prevent men, long under depression, from being intoxicated with a large draught of new power, which they always abuse with a licentious insolence.​
From Burke on, conservatism has never been generally opposed to change. It is opposed to radical change, but not to change generally. Conservatism is concerned not only with what is being changed, but how that change is implemented. However, as Burke showed, conservatism views change as necessary and something to be embraced.

The truth is that conservatism embraces change as necessary but views it best to generally approach change slowly and incrementally. Also, in the debate for political change, the precautionary principle generally applies. That is to say that the burden of proof is on those proposing change because tradition has been empirically shown to work in the real world while abstract notions have not. Therefore, replacing tradition with untried abstract ideas is something to be approached with caution.

Most leftist dogma about conservatism ignores the nuances of the conservative viewpoint; instead painting with a broad brush and claiming that conservatism is opposed to all change in favor of tradition. This inherently misrepresents conservatism and sets up a straw man.

You also say this, Foxy:
How odd that it took the ultimate in classic liberalism to give us that Bill of Rights. The conservatives were on the side of the Brits Foss... Left to the conservatives we would still be feeding the coffers of the Queen.

In tying conservatism to British sympathizers, you miss some very relevant facts.

Edmund Burke lived from 1729 to 1797. He served in the British Parliament from 1765 to 1780. Burke was in fact an early supporter of the American colonies and their grievances, saying in a speech on April 19th, 1774:
Again and again, revert to your old principles—seek peace and ensue it; leave America, if she has taxable matter in her, to tax herself. I am not here going into the distinctions of rights, nor attempting to mark their boundaries. I do not enter into these metaphysical distinctions; I hate the very sound of them. Leave the Americans as they anciently stood, and these distinctions, born of our unhappy contest, will die along with it.... Be content to bind America by laws of trade; you have always done it.... Do not burthen them with taxes.... But if intemperately, unwisely, fatally, you sophisticate and poison the very source of government by urging subtle deductions, and consequences odious to those you govern, from the unlimited and illimitable nature of supreme sovereignty, you will teach them by these means to call that sovereignty itself in question.... If that sovereignty and their freedom cannot be reconciled, which will they take? They will cast your sovereignty in your face. No body of men will be argued into slavery. Sir, let the gentlemen on the other side...tell me, what one character of liberty the Americans have, and what one brand of slavery they are free from, if they are bound in their property and industry by all the restraints you can imagine on commerce, and at the same time are made pack-horses of every tax you choose to impose, without the least share in granting them. When they bear the burthens of unlimited monopoly, will you bring them to bear the burthens of unlimited revenue too? The Englishman in America will feel that this is slavery; that it is legal slavery, will be no compensation either to his feelings or to his understandings.​
When America declared it’s independence, Burke was sympathetic to America, if a little torn. Writing, “I do not know how to wish success to those whose Victory is to separate from us a large and noble part of our Empire. Still less do I wish success to injustice, oppression and absurdity”.

Another fact to consider is that conservatism is unique to each country it is in. A conservative in Russia is not a conservative in America is not a conservative in Germany. Conservatism, generally, recognizes that policy should take into account and reflect the peculiarities of a society as embodied in it’s traditions, and culture. This is why it takes a while for any political conservatism to be realized in a country.

The fact that political conservatism, generally, was still in it’s infancy during the time of the Revolution, that the father of conservatism was sympathetic to and supportive of the American cause and that America, as a unique nation was, essentially a newborn at that time means that there is no way there could have been a conservative position against the Revolution.

Conservative ideas did later play a part in the drafting of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights as well. When the Framers were drafting those documents, they specifically rejected the Lockean view of human nature upon which Locke’s entire prescription for a political system rested. Instead they adopted a view of human nature more in line with Burke, Hobbes and Protestantism.

Subsequently, the Framers looked to ground and control that human nature throughout society not through government, but through traditional social institutions; specifically the Church. This was a uniquely conservative position in the Burkean sense.

Avarice, ambition, revenge, or gallantry, would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other
-John Adams

This is a Christian nation. Ninety-nine hundredths, if not a larger proportion, of our whole population, believe in the general doctrines of the Christian religion. Our Government depends … on that virtue that has its foundation in the morality of the Christian religion.
-NY State Legislature Declaration in 1838

Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of patriotism, who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness
-George Washington in his Farewell Address

You yourself may find it easy to live a virtuous life, without the assistance afforded by religion; you having a clear perception of the advantages of virtue, and the disadvantages of vice, and possessing a strength of resolution sufficient to enable you to resist common temptations. But think how great a portion of mankind consists of weak and ignorant men and women, and of inexperienced, inconsiderate youth of both sexes, who have need of the motives of religion to restrain them from vice, to support their virtue, and retain them in the practice of it till it becomes habitual, which is the great point for its security. And perhaps you are indebted to her originally, that is, to your religious education, for the habits of virtue upon which you now justly value yourself. You might easily display your excellent talents of reasoning upon a less hazardous subject, and thereby obtain a rank with our most distinguished authors. For among us it is not necessary, as among the Hottentots, that a youth, to be raised into the company of men, should prove his manhood by beating his mother.
-Benjamin Franklin in a letter to Thomas Paine​

They were looking to conserve the status quo, as usual.

The "status quo" is not a tradition or value of any sort. My question is asking for specifics and you are replying with more vague unclear answers. If the only answer is generalizations then there is not answer.

Members online

No members online now.
Back