Interior trim question...

Blair

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I notice most Mark VIIIs have wood grain trim for ashtray/cupholder/shifter. is this true of all? I have a 1994, and the previous owner spray painted those pieces all black... and while i like the color choice, it looks like crap spray painted.

Moral of the story, i would like to find some black factory trim pieces for those areas, do they exist?

Wait... So my center console was black to begin with and he spray painted it too? man, what a Genius.

when i had my 93, those pieces were painted blue to match my interior. My 94(current car) was the fake woodgrain crap. I think some of the cars in 93 were color coated to the interior,at least the ones I saw were!

93 never had wood, but in 94 they started applying the burlwood, but not all 94's came this way, most of the 94's had them pieces matching the interior color. 95 and 96 the wood was more common. but again 94 is when they started applying wood but it wasnt standard so if your parts are black, most likely that is factory, it probably looks crappy because the parts had a rubberized coating applied to them that gets sticky and peels over time making it look like dog crap!

Yeah, those were painted with textured spray paint but it was original with black to begin with. Mine is a 94 also but was made in late 93 and everything was black with no wood. Looks like he didn't bother spraying the EATC bezel or anything up higher.

Yeah it's pretty lame, and actually, had i seen your dad's wrecked car interior first, i wouldn't have had to ask this question. lol

actually terry is incorrect, those pieces were originally tan like the rest of the interior, not black. i will tell you right now that someone painted them textured so mask the peeling tan ruberized coating, i normally take the coating off and buff the pieces because the natural finish under the ruber crap is the same color. if your pieces were factory wood you would be able to see the wood around the edges on the bottom side of the lids. your best bet if you like the wood look is to keep an eye on ebay, or find another mark VIII with saddle interior like yours and get the pieces that match the ones that are painted in your car. these are pics of a 93 that i removed all the rubber coating off all the interior trim pieces and restore the natural color of them.
this took me about a week! i also took out the seats, washed and conditioned them, cleaned the entire interior and shampoo'ed the rug. this was for a customer.
this was a 93 with only 43k miles and i added the wood grain stuff from a 94, this is a 93 so it did not come with the wood, it was all tan like the rest of the interior

mikes93048-2.jpg

mikes93026.jpg

mikes93028.jpg

mikes93028.jpg

mikes93050.jpg

mikes93047.jpg

mikes93009-1.jpg

mikes93006-1.jpg

mikes93052.jpg

sadly, i like the black two tone thing going on, just hate the crap job done to get it there. I have some peeling on the back part of my doors too, are you saying i can strip that off, and not hurt the door panel?

yup you sure can. use a credit card to scrape it off. take your console out, remove the parts painted black, sand them down real good with 320 and repaint it all nice. ive painted those pieces in other mark VIII's comes out nice if you take your time and prep real well.

After I said that, I looked at his pics again and noticed the tan color on the backside of the flipped open door and saw the tan color and then that told me why they didn't paint up past the shifter bezel any further.

I still haven't removed his center console yet to find out what the deal is with his cup holder lid. I did get the trunk lid off and put it on mine yesterday and changed out the trunk lock cover. His is faded just a little but would look good with the chrome still in the emblem and background painted black, on a black car anyway. I now have a key for my trunk that I never had before but I'll never use it.

Use paint stripper like I did on mine to get it off, the CC method is too LONG for me LOL. You have to be QUICK with the stripper though, spray it on, let it sit for 30 sec. incriments so it will not eat past the coating. 2 times usually does the trick.

Then prep and paint. I used bulldog adheision promotoer then my body paint with flex additive.

gut-new-2.jpg

Unless I saw it, I would have though the two-tone seat and seat side control covers would look like butt. The contrasting color is nice though.

Nice!

I've removed the rubber coating on most of my pieces now - used oven cleaner. Some pieces I have polished up and others I'm gonna paint with my Krylon paint for plastic.

I see a lot of people paint their passenger airbag cover - isn't that forbidden? I'm tempted to paint mine - just depends how dangerous it is.

I'm not sure? Lol.

Only reason I could think of was the possibility of paint debris going into eyes if airbag goes off.

Hot water does a great job of cleaning off the rubber coating... just let em soak for an hour and walla...

martin chances are if the air bag goes off there will be plenty of debris going in and around the face anyway, whats some paint chips gonna do lol!!

Hot water does a great job of cleaning off the rubber coating... just let em soak for an hour and walla...

I tried that before and it didn't work.

How hot? Boiling?

Maybe the water I used just wasn't hot enough?

I dunno man... I filled a bath tub with hot water, left the parts, came back a while later and the coating just peeled of....

Well, i pulled out the center console today, repainting the shifter bezel, and ashtray and cupholder. at least it can't be any worse than it was before.

Oh, and i found 8 dollars in change.

Members online

No members online now.
Back