Installed Chip Car Don't Start

281DOHC

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a newbie I don't know if I should post here or not? But any ways I just Received my Lincoln Sport Chip code# dza1 for my 1995 Mark VIII, I cleaned the connector very good in till it was coper color. My Mark VIII won't start when the chip is installed. I Sent it back the same day I hope the Chip is defected because I hate to hear that its my car I will like to have the chip installed, any body have had this problem? Our some thing close to this problem thanks for your input!

I had that problem. It turned out that even though I THOUGHT I had it clean I didn't get everything. YOu really have to scrub hard.

Issue with a Diablo Chip in my wife's stang - 2 chips and refund later the Super chip worked perfect first time in.

I would only use LMS chip in my Mark - personal preference based on feedback seen in LVC.

If Lincoln Motor Sports send me another chip and if it don't work can i have the car dyno tuned? Our should I order one from Super Coupe Performance?
Thanks for your help.:confused:

I also have a '95 with the DZA1 computer, and I bought an LMS chip about a month ago.

I cleaned the contacts per the instructions and installed it. The car fired right up, but I noticed no difference at all. I called Geno, and he said to clean the contacts until the copper traces underneath the solder are completely exposed, and to disconnect the battery for 30 minutes as well. Sure enough, that did the trick!

I had left the panel mounting bolts loose, so a few days later I went back to make sure everything was routed properly and snugged down. In doing so I jostled the computer a little, and it went back to acting like the chip wasn't there. I took the computer back out and noticed the contacts had tiny scratch marks in them, so I used toothpaste to polish them until they were perfectly shiny. Then I cleaned the connector 5 times with rubbing alcohol to make sure every molecule of residue was gone.

I've worked with computers and electronics for most of my life, and I've never seen any connection that's so sensitive. If you haven't cleaned that connector obsessively enough to make Howard Hughes proud, I can almost guarantee that's why your chip isn't working.

segxr7 said:
I had left the panel mounting bolts loose, so a few days later I went back to make sure everything was routed properly and snugged down. In doing so I jostled the computer a little, and it went back to acting like the chip wasn't there.

Duct Tape! :D

Hey, I had to send the ECM & Chip so they could trouble shoot the problem, Well I finally got it yesterday it was ready installed in my ECM so I just plugged it in and started right away, but I can't tell the difrence, all i seen was a drop in gas before I was getting about 27mpg & now 22mpg. The chip was from LMS they jusy had it burn on a diablo chip. What do you guys think?
Gene is a good Guy! He had it over night ship!:D

I don't know much about Geno's tuning and chips or who actually does the programming so I'm in no way implying anything. There are times that a simple mistake is made in the programming, it can happen to anyone. Then a chip could be just bad. I've had some in the past that have take the burn and then not work at all. Taken the same program and burning it into another chip and it worked fine. I have also found that not all the of the EEC IV Marks are created equally. Since I've been tuning them I've figured out pretty much all of the tuning problems associated with them.

I don't care for the Diablo software to be truthful. They are lacking a lot of parameters that the SCT stuff I use covers.

Give him a chance to figure it out.

I say SCT and dynotune if the facilities are available anywhere near where you live, then it's a chip for YOUR car, I don't see how everyone can worship something that wasn't tuned for their particular engine.. especially after miles are on. I bet if a car was tuned to perfection from the factory, and driven 20 thousand miles.. you could retune it and see gains.

poniesviii said:
I say SCT and dynotune if the facilities are available anywhere near where you live, then it's a chip for YOUR car, I don't see how everyone can worship something that wasn't tuned for their particular engine.. especially after miles are on. I bet if a car was tuned to perfection from the factory, and driven 20 thousand miles.. you could retune it and see gains.

You are mixing up standard off the shelf type programs with custom programs. There's a big difference between them. You can get the standard cookie cutter off the shelf program from any chip dealer such as Jet, Diablo, Superchips and even SCT has them. These like you pointed out are built to work with any vehicle and are not customized to any one vehicle. Then you have those that actually provide custom tuning by mail order and or dyno tuning. For mail order you have to provide additional info on your vehicle in order to have the program properly built. The dealer/tuner needs to have a lot of experience with dyno tuning the type of vehicle they are building the program for also. Dyno tuning is the best way to go since it is the quickest and hopefully correct. When you do have your vehicle dyno tuned you need to make sure it is also driven on the street to make sure all is good and it's streetable. Most dyno shops will only tune for WOT on the dyno and then leave you with a vehicle that doesn't behave on the street. So you have a give and take either way you go.

I don't use off the shelf programs in any of my programming, they are all custom built. I have had several customers take their vehicles to a dyno after installing my programming and found they paid $300 more for a dyno tune that only got them 3 - 7 more hp than what I provided them. And that their drivability was in the gutter with the dyno tune.

Hey, I had to send the ECM & Chip so they could trouble shoot the problem, Well I finally got it yesterday it was ready installed in my ECM so I just plugged it in and started right away, but I can't tell the difrence, all i seen was a drop in gas before I was getting about 27mpg & now 22mpg. The chip was from LMS they jusy had it burn on a diablo chip. What do you guys think?
Gene is a good Guy! He had it over night ship!:D

Just wondering, Can you tell a difference with the LMS chip yet? I bought one and there has been issues as well. I am in the process of trying to get the issues worked out now. :(

Just wondering, Can you tell a difference with the LMS chip yet? I bought one and there has been issues as well. I am in the process of trying to get the issues worked out now. :(

I can't tell to this day the best thing you can do is upgrade to 2.5" true dual exhaust from SCP. you will fill the difrence.

If you can't tell then why wouldn't you get a hold of us? Makes no sense? Call me up, lets talk.
You don't rember you guys said you can only do so much with the chip? So Why would I spend more money in shipping charges when I paid twice to have shipped. P.S I spoke with Gene about this and thats when Gene said you only could do so much with a chip, so what does that tell you? If I would of know you where going to sell me a diablo chip I would of just bought it in the first place with SuperCoupePerformanceParts.com but o well.

Like I said It is our program in a Diablo Blank because they raised the amount of BLACK BLANKS (that we previously burned onto) that you have to buy to get the private label status and we decided NOT to buy a TON of black blanks and sit on them for trickle sales, we then just email Chris our files, he burns them onto a Diablo blank and ships them.

I have this program in my car yet mine as well as many other DZA1's are working fine, one in this thread in fact.

ILL pay the shipping hell I paid for the last EXPRESS SHIPPING, send me recipts and I will pay the S&H like I did with Rich. Not a problem.

So your not getting any MPG gains? Better shifts? Power?

Then send it back and Ill do another file on MY SHIPPING.

I NEVER said we can only do so much with a chip either, I know what I said. I said we can only do so much with the shift firmness NOT the chip as a whole. I even recommended you to get a shift kit to rectify your shift needs.

I also have a '95 with the DZA1 computer, and I bought an LMS chip about a month ago.

I cleaned the contacts per the instructions and installed it. The car fired right up, but I noticed no difference at all. I called Geno, and he said to clean the contacts until the copper traces underneath the solder are completely exposed, and to disconnect the battery for 30 minutes as well. Sure enough, that did the trick!

I had left the panel mounting bolts loose, so a few days later I went back to make sure everything was routed properly and snugged down. In doing so I jostled the computer a little, and it went back to acting like the chip wasn't there. I took the computer back out and noticed the contacts had tiny scratch marks in them, so I used toothpaste to polish them until they were perfectly shiny. Then I cleaned the connector 5 times with rubbing alcohol to make sure every molecule of residue was gone.

I've worked with computers and electronics for most of my life, and I've never seen any connection that's so sensitive. If you haven't cleaned that connector obsessively enough to make Howard Hughes proud, I can almost guarantee that's why your chip isn't working.

Serg, any gains?

Like I said It is our program in a Diablo Blank because they raised the amount of BLACK BLANKS (that we previously burned onto) that you have to buy to get the private label status and we decided NOT to buy a TON of black blanks and sit on them for trickle sales, we then just email Chris our files, he burns them onto a Diablo blank and ships them.

I have this program in my car yet mine as well as many other DZA1's are working fine, one in this thread in fact.

ILL pay the shipping hell I paid for the last EXPRESS SHIPPING, send me recipts and I will pay the S&H like I did with Rich. Not a problem.

So your not getting any MPG gains? Better shifts? Power?

Then send it back and Ill do another file on MY SHIPPING.

I NEVER said we can only do so much with a chip either, I know what I said. I said we can only do so much with the shift firmness NOT the chip as a whole. I even recommended you to get a shift kit to rectify your shift needs.
If you rember I send you my ECM, so you can read the code, when you sent it back the chip is like weld to the ECM I try to take it off to buy a chip from a nother company but the chip is like welded to the ECM and I don't never want to have down time like last time because the only way to send you the chip is to send the whole ECM again and thats no fun.

Look the chip is NOT "WELDED" to the ecm?
Are you for real?
OMG this is too much, we would never ever "weld" a chip to the ecm. Couldn't be done anyway, there is no physical way to "weld" a chip to the board in your ecm. The chips contacts are enclosed in the plastic surrounding making it PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE to do what you claim.

It will come out.

Again let me make this perfectly CLEAR!! You told me YOUR computer had a sticker with a new number on it meaning it was REFLASHED at some point from the delaer which would require us or any other chip make have to READ the ECM to get the new code that was reflashed into the ecm thus making it possible to make the proper chip.

So if you pulled your chip and sent it to us you wouldn't need to send the ecm too.

So you never told me, you have no MPG gains? No firmer higher shifts? No power?

Look the chip is NOT "WELDED" to the ecm?
Are you for real?
OMG this is too much, we would never ever "weld" a chip to the ecm. Couldn't be done anyway, there is no physical way to "weld" a chip to the board in your ecm. The chips contacts are enclosed in the plastic surrounding making it PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE to do what you claim.

It will come out.

Again let me make this perfectly CLEAR!! You told me YOUR computer had a sticker with a new number on it meaning it was REFLASHED at some point from the delaer which would require us or any other chip make have to READ the ECM to get the new code that was reflashed into the ecm thus making it possible to make the proper chip.

So if you pulled your chip and sent it to us you wouldn't need to send the ecm too.

So you never told me, you have no MPG gains? No firmer higher shifts? No power?
I have one question why do you care after all these months???? If I called you and talk to you over the phone so why know do you want to make things right??? I don't need you to come down. I dont need your services after all these months. I rather buy a new ecm and a new chip from some one else, so take care, and help your new customers not the old ones from a couple months ago it's to late for trying to help me so have a great life.....

Like I said we are and always were willing to help you, still am. But it is your choice.

You do not need a new ecm.

The fact that you claim it was welded to the chip is funny though since it is cmpletely impossible to do so.

You can knock me and my company all you want but we do have the best customer service in this industry hands down, we only ever gave 3 refunds on chips in 10 years, tell me another company that can claim this.
You have a great life too.

You cant weld the chip in. Geno's right, its impossible. I dont even think it could be soldered in. Besides, why would anyone want to? there is no need, it plugs in. Trying to do anything like solder would take a tremendous amount of time.

Let me tell you something about Geno. He is great with customer service. When I first "met" him, he spent an hour on th phone with me telling me how to do something for something he doesnt even sell.

Geno's customer service, has always been tops from anyone Ive ever spoken to.

Members online

No members online now.
Back