In-dash DVD

I have a single din flip-out pioneer 7" in dash dvd unit and I just love it. Don't get me wrong the double dins look cleaner but I like the fact the I don't have to have my TV showing all the time and the extra storage you get when using a single din(enough to fit my wallet and phone). I have alittle over 300 music videos on discs so I do have my screen open alot but I still like the fact that I can close it and it looks just like a regular CD player from time to time(like when I am by myself because you shouldn't be watching tv alone while driving, not too safe). I like all screens though so nice tv's everybody.

can some of you guys post pics of your units? The ones in your car you freaks.

I don't get the point of using such small single din unit in a car with a lay out like the LS. I was looking into the D3 on my way home from work and the guy at Best Buy told me he could do a good install like as if it came from the factory without me supplying my own bezel. I told him I would rather not do it till I got one from LSK and he tried pushing one of those single dins off on me.

Yuk!

I like my single din because it has a TRUE 7" widescreen....most of the double dins are only 6.5" and some of the ones that claim 7" are only a TRUE 6.8"(measure the screen). Half an inch in a car is like the difference between a 42" plasma and a 50" plasma in your house. Like I said the double din looks cleaner though but I have my reasons for using a single din.

can everyone post pics of their in dash screens? i want to see all the diff ones installed.

can everyone post pics of their in dash screens? i want to see all the diff ones installed.

2539884_11.jpg
no navi tho. it's too much as a seperate unit

2539884_11.jpg

forgot to ask, which of all the above double din units come with the navi integrated? also, i think it was pete's, yours is the largest screen one right? right under 7" right? i wish i could fit that tv from the MKS into the LS, that would be sweet

The Kenwood unit that NYCLS8 is looking at is 6.1". The Pioneer Avic D3 is the same 6.1" screen size. Mine is 6.5". There are 7" screens out there now. Kenwood Excelon DDX8017 is one that has a 7" screen. You're looking at a lot more $ for that unit though.

The Kenwood unit that NYCLS8 is looking at is 6.1". The Pioneer Avic D3 is the same 6.1" screen size. Mine is 6.5". There are 7" screens out there now. Kenwood Excelon DDX8017 is one that has a 7" screen. You're looking at a lot more $ for that unit though.

understood. but i'ma sell mine for like 3 hundred or something so that should help acquire a new unit

whats the depth of the 2000-2002 head unit area, has the depth of any common double din units ever been a concern to any one?

indash.jpg

this is my head unit, 7" clarion touchscreen. plays dvds and mp3s i can fit up to 300 songs on a single disc. i payed about $380 installed, but i bought the unit on eBay.

I had a double din before this but i couldn't find a dash kit for it.

also when you have it installed have them ground the safety wire to the parking brake, thats what they did with mine and i can watch movies while driving.

IMO the Nav system has more purpose in a car ( giving that people need to stay up to date with todays technology :D )than watching DVDs does.

Ok I've found these three units that I like and I would like opinions for my install. I know they've been talked about earlier, but how do they all fare against one another.

Pioneer AVIC-D3
Kenwood DDX512
Kenwood DNX5120

I know the D3 and the 5120 have nav, but I'm not sure about the 512. Comments?

the Kenwood DDX512 is navigation ready. all of them have 6.1" screens. all are touchscreen i believe. all, do their jobs well but for the most part the D3 is the preferred one on here. i like pete's just do to the fact that it has a larger screen.

Yeah, a half inch makes a big difference.

^That sounds kind of funny, now that I read it back to myself.

IMO 7" widescreen is the best way to go with an in-dash tv. Everything else just looks too small.

JWerner2....you get a TV in your car to watch dvd's and music videos...if you want a navi system then by a Garmin. I barely have the need for navi because generally I know where I am going.

The BEST? sure, 7" (6.95 actually) is the biggest screen they make for a built in screen. But would you pay DOUBLE for an extra .45 inches? That's all up to the end user. I say if you are happy with the 6 inch screen, then it's a waste of money to spend double on a 7" screen.

Going from NO screen to a 6" screen will make a world of difference. I say if you don't want to spend a buttload of cash on it, it's the right move to buy the little bit smaller screen, and save a bunch of money.

To those looking at the 6.1" screens, They are perfectly fine.

SlickLS, as far as the nav goes. Where I find it comes in handy is when I'm out of town, in a larger city, and it's dinner time. Punch up what kind of food you want, it lists restaurants by sorting them - closest to you first. You select the one you want, hit "go to" and follow the prompts. You don't have to go into a gas station ask for directions, and remember 12 turns, 3 exits, # of lights, etc...

Oh, and most listings on the nav units include phone #'s too, so you can phone your reservation in ahead of time.

SlickLS, as far as the nav goes. Where I find it comes in handy is when I'm out of town, in a larger city, and it's dinner time. Punch up what kind of food you want, it lists restaurants by sorting them - closest to you first. You select the one you want, hit "go to" and follow the prompts. You don't have to go into a gas station ask for directions, and remember 12 turns, 3 exits, # of lights, etc...

I agree with you on the reasons for the navi but JWerner was talking about how watching movies on your screen is played out and screens are made just for navi now. I mean, how often do you go out of town?

I like the 7" widescreen better because when you pull up somewhere and everyone else have a 6" or 6.5" you can definately tell the difference between a 7" and anything else. They are not that big of a difference in price so go ahead and spend the extra 150-200 dollars to get the 7" because it will be the size to have for a long time and anyting smaller will eventually become discontinued.

Members online

No members online now.
Back