In-dash DVD

Firthockeydog

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Question:

I was looking on crutchfield about putting an in-dash DVD player to replace the stock head unit, kind of like the nav system in the newer LS's, well, that's the look I'm going for anyway. I can't seem to find the right kind of set up where the entire screen is sealed in the dash for that clean look on crutchfield. The only ones I can find are on LSKoncepts. Can anyone give me some advise to this as inexpensively as possible?

Go with the Pioneer AVICD3.
Its on sale at circuit city for $599 +50 tax plus it has navigation.
Im buying it next week... such a good deal!
You still need to buy a ford wiring harness (i think 20$ at crutchfield) and a steering wheel controller (i think about $50 through crutchfield.com) and a double din faceplate sold through lskoncepts.com for 60$. Im also buying the ipod connector so i can fire up the video ipod with movies. ($50 or so)

total: ~$760 (a biatch to install)
SEARCH FOR AVICD3 THREAD

i found a shop to do it for 75 but ill probably do it myself

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Pion...sem/rpsm/oid/172949/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

You need to get the "dash kit" from lskoncepts. That bezel is the BEST possible thing to use for a double din install. I don't think ken sells the actual double din units themselves. The Pioneer D3 is at a very good price, considering it includes the navigation. However, Kenwood Excelon and Alpine are a couple that make very nice units too. Here's a pic of my Kenwood Excelon, with the lskoncepts bezel, installed myself.

kenwood ddx.jpg

How do you like that Kenwood, pektel? I've always had good luck with them in the past and might be in the market for something to throw in the dash of my car.

Im glad you all asked about this because I am going to do an indash tv soon with nav and the double dins are cheaper and look cleaner. I am going to order this kit next week.

How do you like that Kenwood, pektel? I've always had good luck with them in the past and might be in the market for something to throw in the dash of my car.

The unit itself is awesome. No problems whatsoever. Performs nice, clear crisp picture. But it is an older unit - now discontinued- so it doesn't have some features I'd like, such as a USB port, or the ability to download custom backgrounds. But I always have the navigation or a dvd on anyways, so I guess it's not that big of a deal. Plus, the unit itself is a little smaller than the pioneer (the kenwood screen is bigger iirc) so it's easier to fit into the bezel that ken sells.

I can't imagine the car without it now. I got it for a pretty sweet deal (about the same price as I was going to spend on a remote start). I think I'm much happier with this than I would've been if I went the other route.

Now I'm contemplating the TV tuner, since then I'll have all the inputs/outputs filled. I think. Unless there are some for doing the headrest screens. Those are next on the list too :D

Oh, one more thing I should add about why I like the particular one I got. Very easy to bypass to allow dvd's to play while driving. I just took the wire that was supposed to go to teh parking brake, and used a t-tap right into the ground wire from the head unit. The avics are more involved, iirc.

I'm SO far out of the car audio loop, it's not even funny. Just gimme a single DIN head unit with two pre-outs and I'd be set. Steering wheels controls, USB ports, watching a DVD while driving, updated NAV DVDs....ugh :lol:

I'm SO far out of the car audio loop, it's not even funny. Just gimme a single DIN head unit with two pre-outs and I'd be set. Steering wheels controls, USB ports, watching a DVD while driving, updated NAV DVDs....ugh :lol:

it's seems overwhelming but when you do the install everything is clearly labeled and it's kind of difficult to mess things up. unless you have absolutely no idea what you are doing or have no common sense. other than that it's pretty straight forward. pektel, how is the nav screen? does it look crisp? i'm in the market for one but the one for my D300 is around 600 i think. that's a lot of cash for just nav. wish i would've gone the route some of you took that had the nav already. i didn't want the double din just because in los angeles a sitting tv is going to be a stolen tv pretty quick

The nav unit I have is the Kenwood KNA-G510. Made by Garmin for Kenwood. It is a hard drive nav, so no switching dvd's or anything. It has an SD card slot for map and software updates. As for the crispness, here's a pic or 2. (Because I can't post without pics) :)

kenwood nav1.JPG

kenwood nav2.JPG

cool, so you upload the current maps with an SD card and not a Disk? have you ever put anything in that didn't come up?

personally i love the avic D3, i have it and its the simplest double din with all the features i need, most importantly the ipod connectivity that you control through the unit, i havent used a cd since ive had the D3. plus they are priced very low right now. theres a huge thread on here if u do a quick search, id post the link but im lazy :p

I recommend the AVIC-D3 as well... Easy install (with instructions on LvC in the "this thread for AVIC-D3 installs" thread).

My favorite features:

-DVD Navigation
-XM Radio
-XM Nav-Traffic with traffic flow info
-IPOD controlled from the touchscreen unit- mine is in the glove compartment
-Bluetooth adaptor for cell phone
-Decent pre-amp out (stock speakers sound better than with OEM headunit - however, I still upgraded all speakers soon after with Infinity Kappas)
-Customizable backgrounds
-Can still use steering wheel controls with optional adaptor
-Many, many more...
The trickiest part of the install is modifying the '05 LS nav bezel from Team Ford with a dremel tool to allow fitment of the AVIC, but with a little patience it can be done.

Some pics of my install:

IMG_1310.jpg

IMG_1316.jpg

IMG_1317.jpg

IMG_1321.jpg

IMG_1330.jpg

IMG_1332.jpg

The Kenwood offers everything the D3 does, including the customizable backgrounds on the newer models. Even my older one has ipod connectivity, and can be run through the touchscreen. The only thing that didn't come as a built in feature that maybe the avic does, is bluetooth.

The Pioneer is a nice unit. Especially since you don't have to buy the nav unit separate. However, I believe that Garmin makes the best navigation units out there, so I'm kind of partial to mine. But I've never used the one that comes with the avic. I'm sure it's sufficient.

Rick, yes there have been some addresses that I type in that don't show up. But that's because the addresses are newer than the map data. I think the last time my maps were updated was in 04.

last question, are any of these double dins 7"? i thought they only made 6.5's

My screen is bigger than the avic d3. the actual screen measurement is under 7" though. The Kenwood Excelon DNX8120 is a nice unit, with a 7" screen.

The unit itself is awesome. No problems whatsoever. Performs nice, clear crisp picture. But it is an older unit - now discontinued- so it doesn't have some features I'd like, such as a USB port, or the ability to download custom backgrounds. But I always have the navigation or a dvd on anyways, so I guess it's not that big of a deal. Plus, the unit itself is a little smaller than the pioneer (the kenwood screen is bigger iirc) so it's easier to fit into the bezel that ken sells.

I can't imagine the car without it now. I got it for a pretty sweet deal (about the same price as I was going to spend on a remote start). I think I'm much happier with this than I would've been if I went the other route.

Now I'm contemplating the TV tuner, since then I'll have all the inputs/outputs filled. I think. Unless there are some for doing the headrest screens. Those are next on the list too :D

I have the TV tuner with my older kenwood indash as well. It works really well in a large city. I have used it many times during bad storms, I would turn to our local news station and watch the dopler radar.

how would the tv tuner work w/ the new thing that they are taking out the regular tv channels if it isn't digital?

You can get a converter kit, just like for your home TV.

i can't justify paying all that extra cash for an in-dash GPS. I think I'll go paortable GPS and in-dash dd DVD player.

I don't understand how a DVD nav system works

your dvd contains the maps as opposed to an sd card for handheld. you have to get updated dvd maps which are verry costly. I'm sure they can be downloaded somewhere.

On a lot of older units you won't be able to access your dvd and gps at the same time as they use the same slots.

The more expensive units usually let you do both. I would love one but I will not spend a grand to get it.

These head units, they're double DIN? Just curious cause I'm lookin' on Crutchfield now and any double DIN says it doesn't fit..?

Was looking at the Kenwood DDX512 actually..

Members online

No members online now.
Back