Idle issue. Short video inside

nsjuice

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to pretend I didn't cause this, but it happened after I pushed the 97mark a bit hard on the gas.

RPM previously hesitated to come straight down to idle before like in the video.

but now: where it stays put around the 1k RPM area, the car vibrates until the needle drops back to idle.

while driving, you can't really feel much although I know the vibration is there as of lately during the 1k-2k RPM range.

IAC has been replaced a few months ago.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

YouTube - VID 00022

Looks exactly like mine has for the last 7 years. Dont think there is anything wrong.

Looks exactly like mine has for the last 7 years. Dont think there is anything wrong.

Well thAt's good to know.

What about the recent vibration at 1k

Feels like something is loose. Havnt had the time to go under.

Thinking a bushing of some sort or something lose. Headers ? Tranny? ??

Man o man.

As of last night I noticed the mark making a noise out of the front. Kind of like tumbling parts in a dryer. As it did that I could see the headlights dim low then bright.

This is all in park at idle.

Torque converter? If it is what should be done?

Hmm come to think of it, timing chain? I don't think it has been replaced. 140k

Thx

You're looking too deep. Open the hood and see where the noise is coming from - almost sounds like a bad bearing from an accessory? Alt, waterpump... something like that?

The torque converter is behind the engine, so I doubt the noise is from that. (as you said the noise is at the front)

There are four timing chains in total. (2 long primaries, 2 short secondaries) The noise you describe doesn't sound timing chain related.

Anyway, go look - should be easy enough to pin point.

You're looking too deep. Open the hood and see where the noise is coming from - almost sounds like a bad bearing from an accessory? Alt, waterpump... something like that?

The torque converter is behind the engine, so I doubt the noise is from that. (as you said the noise is at the front)

There are four timing chains in total. (2 long primaries, 2 short secondaries) The noise you describe doesn't sound timing chain related.

Anyway, go look - should be easy enough to pin point.

Thanks for the feedback.

My apoligies, I wasn't specific .. I was typing from my pos iphone so limited my response.

When I meant front, .. In front from engine compartment.. It did feel mid area where the TC would be. but.. dimming lights?? that doesn't conjure up does it?

Also, the noise was only on for about 5-6 seconds.. havnt heard it since, drove around and the car felt normal..

Argh.. If it's not one thing, it's another.

Any other input is appreciated, it's my only car at this point.. I'd hate to have it stationary.

You know allot of what you are describing makes me believe you may have an altenator on its way out. Remove your bely and spin the alt by hand and see if it doesnt feel smooth when spinning. And roughness at all means the bearings are going bad. Also check your voltage at idle, should be at least 13.5 volts but 14.x is better.

You know allot of what you are describing makes me believe you may have an altenator on its way out. Remove your bely and spin the alt by hand and see if it doesnt feel smooth when spinning. And roughness at all means the bearings are going bad. Also check your voltage at idle, should be at least 13.5 volts but 14.x is better.

I'm a pessimist when it comes to cars, but I hope that is the problem!

THanks Laser I'll check it owwwwt

Members online

Back