I bought a 2002 Lincoln LS V8 Sport

LDM

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I traded my 2007 Honda CR-V for a 2002 Lincoln LS V8 Sport. Here's some pictures taken by the dealer.

So far I have replaced 1 coil, hydraulic fan pump & hose, hi-speed fan, thermostat, had windows retinted, rear breaks and rotors, new battery... all at their cost (within the first 30 days).

I have paid to have the 2 idler pulleys and tensioner replaced. I used this site to determine what the cause of the sounds I was hearing... saved me the Lincoln dealer diagnostic fee. Thanks LVC!

It had a bubble in the front grille chrome... so I took a pocket knife and pealed it all off and painted it black.

Got the car for $5499 (got $9000 back for the Honda). The LS has 102,000 miles.

So far I like it, rides nice, plenty of power, handles great!

(I hope the repairs calm down).

Anything else I should be checking/watching out for?

-8526211440193148516.jpg

-8526211440193148516_2.jpg

-8526211440193148516_3.jpg

-8526211440193148516_4.jpg

0327111643.jpg

Nice...welcome. you are going to find too many mods and not enough time. Just remember to search first and ask later.

Alot of new members lately.

Looks good. But your LS appears to be blue. ?

Nice looking car! Kinda partial to the 2002 V8 myself... Good job checkin the site out first and getting all of that stuff taken care of. It seems like you got some of the major issues taken care of so far. You'll just have to take the rest as they come. The only thing I might recommend is checking all of your coils/plug wells to see if there are any traces of oil. If there is any oil I would suggest replacing the valve cover gaskets right away before you have to replace more coils than the one you did. I also like what you did with the grille but I think it would look even better if you paint the surround to match the body and leave the waterfall part black.

Alot of new members lately.

Looks good. But your LS appears to be blue. ?

Yeah finally a new one that can search first and take care of stuff himself first and THEN ask questions!

What's with the blue comment? Because he painted the grill black? Better that bubbly chrome IMO.

Thanks for the comments guys!

The car is blue. Don't tell me it was never sold in blue! I works for me.

Someday I may get a new grill, or have part of it painted body color... but black on black looks ok for now. (I sanded it and sprayed it in the yard using a can of black spray paint I had from Home Depot). It's better than bad pealing chrome...

Looking around for CAI ideas, something cheap... although the K&N appears to be the way to go. Hoping to do a simple intake mod... still poking around LVC for ideas.

Thanks again.

Engine compartment picture (phone pic, need to get the real camera out):

0421110129.jpg

^Check my thread for inexpensive intake ideas. I picked up an adapter for $30 from O'riellys and an AEM dryflo off amazon for $40. Sounds badas and totally worth it.

Quite the difference in ride coming from a CR-V, isn't it?

Thanks for the comments guys!

The car is blue. Don't tell me it was never sold in blue! I works for me.

Someday I may get a new grill, or have part of it painted body color... but black on black looks ok for now. (I sanded it and sprayed it in the yard using a can of black spray paint I had from Home Depot). It's better than bad pealing chrome...

Looking around for CAI ideas, something cheap... although the K&N appears to be the way to go. Hoping to do a simple intake mod... still poking around LVC for ideas.

Thanks again.

Looks great, I love the blue, but finding a manual in blue, well I haven't seen one yet so sliver i went.

A cheap(free if you have the tools already) is the poor mans intake mod, it can be found in the Tech Article right next to the search function here: http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/tech/Lincoln-LS/Modify-Airbox/

Intake Mods:
I saw that free stock intake mod earlier, thanks for the link. I prefer to keep the original available for AZ Emissions testing and going back to the dealer for service if needed etc.

I wet to O'Rieillys, Autozone and NAPA today. None of them had the correct MAF adapter. I even went and measured the bolts on the MAF intake area, none were correct. O'Riellys spent a lot of time on the computer and manuals (Spectre and K&N) and no MAF adapter was shown for a Ford, Mercury or Lincoln... even checked the Thinderbird lising. I have been reading this site for a month, and doing searches using LVC and Google... people must have modded another adapter drilling out the holes, which I had read about on this site.

NAPA said they could order a plastic one, but I prefer metal/aluminum. NAPA and O'Reilly showed 2 Ford adapters in metal/aluminum... a Small and Large... but no hole to hole dimensions were provided... and they had to order it... so I skipped the MAF Adapter and Cone Filter until I know which adapter to get.

I will keep looking on this site, as I saw an aluminum MAF adapter mentioned... I will find that thread and see if it's the correct size and where to order it from.
(I do not want the full kit with plumbing etc).

Tires:
I have read most threads about tires sizes (many of them). Most are running stock or 245/45/17 (few people 255/45/17).

I prefer to keep a smoother ride, and not lower the car with springs etc.

That being said, I have not seen anyone yet running 245/50/17 (doesn't appear people run 255/50/17 either).

I would think 245/50/17 on a stock suspension would ride smooth, and fit the stock wheel well dimensions better... (but I don't know about clearances... especially on the front). I will keep poking around and see if anyone has run 245/50/17 on stock rims using stock springs etc.

I put my foot in it a bit today pulling out of NAPA to stay in front of traffic... what fun that was! I can't wait for the additional roar from an intake mod! What a fun auto to drive!

I will have to get it painted at a body shop, need some door scratches and dings repaired, and the rear bumper painted too.

O'Riellys does have it thats where I purchased mine and it was in stock. Search Ford MAF adapter on the oriellys.com website and you'll find it. Then just call the store with the part # and they'll find it for you. Its a FORD LARGE MAF adapter. It goes from 3" by the flange to 4" for the filter. Most expensive part was a reputable 4" filter like AEM, Injen, or K&N. DryFlo FTW tho

IMG_20110210_165325.jpg

IMG_20110210_165334.jpg

Thanks for that info, I also received email from KKM... and have updated the MAF Adapter list above.

It is not the Spectre 8146 4" Aluminum Mass Air Flow Adapter.

I tried to put that on today. It's the wrong size inside diameter air flow hole on one end (part# 8146 is the FORD LARGE MAF 4" to 4"). Mine measures more like 3.5" (2002 Lincoln LS V8). Also the mounting hole-to-hole distances are incorrect... (I tried rotating it a few times too).

I see a Spectre 8145... but still looking at other Spectre MAF's to verify the correct part. (I will update the above links once the correct part is found).

I just phone ordered the Spectre 8145 from O'Reilly's.

The local warehouse has four of them and they said one will be at the local store tomorrow or Monday.

They will call me when it get's in.

Your right, I made the same mistake when I bought mine to. The one you need is the 4" opening right?

Too bad they dont make a k&n intake for first gen.

They have an awesome sound.

I was dissapointed also. I wish K&N made a full intake tube I'd buy it right now. I don't want to spend $200 on the intake tube or even $100 for that matter. I'm pretty serious about fabbing up my own tubing and painting it wrinkle black.

Also K&N filters are a thing of the past I feel like. Oilless filters are really the way to go. AEM DryFlo all the way.

Nice

Hi nice ride, Im also a new Lincoln LS member- bought a 2004 v6 in march,
sat in phx for 6 years. got under 5k miles on it now, needs some stuff.but working on it.

If you need a mechcanic, Andre at Bell Automotive is right next to a spray car wash and close to walmart on bell- He is honest and good prices. just tell him the guy with the lincoln that had 600 miles on it sent you. He helped me with my fuel pump.
And I like your blue LS.

Members online

Back