I bought a 2002 Lincoln LS V8 Sport

The Small Ford MAF Intake Adapter Spectre Part# 8145 for $15.99 is the correct part. Spectre Cone Filter $24.99. ($41.00 total).

Here it is installed.

(I didn't notice a throaty roar or much sound difference from it though).

0425111437_01.jpg

0425111437a_01.jpg

The Small Ford MAF Intake Adapter Spectre Part# 8145 for $15.99 is the correct part. Spectre Cone Filter $25.99. ($42.00 total).

Here it is installed.

(I didn't notice a throaty roar or much sound difference from it though).

Wow that's a great price! I put disfunktional's on my car today for a while and you can definitely hear the sound with the window open and once the car adjusts to the extra air coming in you can really feel it too.

LDM, just a tip mount your bracket to the lower hole on that side. It will support it better and keep that silencer off the shroud. Also, order a new filter AEM Injen or K&N and take that spectre filter back. You'll be amazed how much the sound/performance will change with a quality filter.

For mounting, I used the lower MAF Adapter bolt and ran 12 guage solid wire down to a lower bolt in the engine compartment, then from the upper MAF Adapter bolt I used 12 guage solid wire over to the original mounting bracket bolt for the air filter housing.

I already tore open the Spectre filter packaging and the filter has now been used. The packaging is destroyed trying to open it... so I doubt that it is returnable.

I used to use K&N Filters... but I don't want to re-oil any more. The AEM DryFlow filter sounds interesting though.

I was looking at this one... it appears to be about the same size filter that I have now: AEM DryFlow 21-205BF
http://www.aemintakes.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=21-205BF

I went to 4 different Shell Gas Stations in Phoenix, AZ and Glendale, AZ... all had 91 octane... so far I have not seen any 93 octane Shell Gas Stations around.

Here is a picture of the lower mounting wire from lower MAF Adapter bolt...

0424112229.jpg

Quite the difference in ride coming from a CR-V, isn't it?

Sure is different from the CR-V. More power, corners better, quieter ride and smoother ride than the CR-V etc.

The LS reminds me of one of my previous cars a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA with 5 speed manual... lots of power. The LS corners better than the GTA.

The LS has more power than my previous '97 Lincoln Town Car.
The LS has better handling than my previous '92 Deville too.

Now to find tires. 245/50/17 anyone? Thinking of Continental ExtremeContact DWS (I might like the DW better than DWS for Phoenix, AZ, but the DW isn't offered in that size that I can find)...

(I don't want to lower the car, I want a quiet smooth ride... but still be able to do some spirited driving).

Sure is different from the CR-V. More power, corners better, quieter ride and smoother ride than the CR-V etc.

The LS reminds me of one of my previous cars a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA with 5 speed manual... lots of power. The LS corners better than the GTA.

The LS has more power than my previous '97 Lincoln Town Car.
The LS has better handling than my previous '92 Deville too.

Now to find tires. 245/50/17 anyone? Thinking of Continental ExtremeContact DWS (I might like the DW better than DWS for Phoenix, AZ, but the DW isn't offered in that size that I can find)...

(I don't want to lower the car, I want a quiet smooth ride... but still be able to do some spirited driving).

Why do you want a 245/50? What are you trying to achieve? A 245/45 is better for handling as it's slightly wider and shorter. A 245/50 will be wider and taller, are you looking for increased ground clearance and a wider tire? When I bought my car it had 235/55r17 on it because it was driven in the snow and the guy wanted more ground clearance.

245/45 would be a stiffer ride, would make it a bit lower, would increase the gap in the wheel well. All of those attributes I do not want. I do like a wider tire. The 235/50 is not bad, but a little wider would be fine. That led me to 245/50/17. 245/50 would fill out the wheel well more with stock rims, and still allow a soft smooth quiet ride, and have more width. I just don't know about the clearances in the front wheel well with 245/50. I actually do not like the look of a small side wall. That to me is just a fad (I know it does help with cornering though). (I don't like a very large side wall either though).

I see they make the DW and DWS in Continental ExtremeContact 255/45/17 (just not the DW in 245/50/17).

The 255/45/17 would be wider and closer to standard side wall height... had read that's too wide... but I see some posts of people running 255/45/17 on stock rims using stock springs.

The K&N RC-3600 Filter was:
$59.62 + S&H + taxes at O'Reilly's
$46.99 + S&H + taxes at AutoZone
$36.08 w/free shipping at Amazon (and no taxes)

I ordered the K&N RC-3600 Filter from Amazon...

Amazon.com: K&N RC-3600 Universal Chrome Filter: Automotive

(This is the best fit, closest in size to the Spectre... just a bit smaller. The next size K&N was 1" longer in height and may have hit the inside fender well. The Spectre was already close to the shroud and 1/8" from the fender).

I don't really agree with 245/45 being a stiffer ride than the 245/50 or 235/50, but to each their own.

PS Nice find on the filter

I don't really agree with 245/45 being a stiffer ride than the 245/50 or 235/50, but to each their own.

PS Nice find on the filter

I wouldn't say stiffer, but I did notice more road imperfections, just minor stuff. I drive of :q:q:q:qty roads though.

Nice find on the filter..now if you haven't already use the money you saved to go and buy the K&N filter cleaning & oil kit. You'll be needing it.

AEM DryFlo all the way! haha

Body Shop guys are going to fix both drivers side doors and rear bumper scratches & dents, probably in the next couple weeks.

So... since the paint will be mixed for the blue car.... time to address the front upper grille.

As you can see it is a 2002 LS Grille... which had some bubbling chrome that I removed and spray painted black for now. It's a two piece grille... but the water fall on these 2000-2002 grilles do not have the chrome around it... (the bottom part of the upper grille comes from the factory all black).

To keep it cheap, I would prefer to stay with this grille... for now, and that leads me to the following:

The upper part (now black) can be painted to color match the blue car. The lower half of the upper grille would remain all black.

Do I do this now, and maybe the rear license surround to match the car color... or leave the rear chrome?

(I wish I had the money for a 2003-2006 LSE Grille with the Chrome water fall... and then paint the front LSE grille surround blue, then I would leave the rear surround chrome). I think that would look the best with the chrome stock 17" rims (having some chrome in the front and rear).

Then would you paint the very bottom lower bumper grille black? Or leave it blue?

Since the paint will be out... would you do the brake calipers blue to match the car, or black? (Red would be cool too).

Ideas/Opinions welcome. (Now is the time to address this and come up with a plan).

My thoughts below (#5 could be red or blue... red would stand out):

1) Upper grille top blue.
2) Upper grille bottom water fall all black.
3) Bottom bumper grille blue.
4) Rear license surround chrome. (Allows me to get a LSE grille later, and still have chrome in the rear).
5) Brake calipers black.

If I got a LSE grille in the future, would you leave the surround black and paint the bottom bumper grille black? (Or go blue in both places).

I am trying to come up with something now that will work with a LSE grille later, because I think the car needs something like a chrome water fall... to make the car stand out a bit. It's a dark blue car and no chrome up front already kinda makes it look like it's missing something.

Kinda rambling here, only 2 hours sleep last night. Too many options, need input.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

Here's some more pics (looks like the camber is off but it's the tight lens angle and cheap camera phone)

0427112338_01.jpg

0427112339_01.jpg

0427112341.jpg

0427112346.jpg

I'd say body match the front grille but leave the waterfall black. Paint the rear surround as well. Paint the lower grille black to match the upper. Later upgrade to a color matched gen2 grille with a mesh insert!

That's an option too.

Once the rear surround is painted blue though, it will never be chrome again.

An all black car looks good color matched on the grilles and rear surround with no chrome. A lighter car still looks good color matched without chrome (enough color differences to have contrast).

This dark blue just looks like it's missing something with black+black grille, and I think a blue front top grille with black waterfall will still look like it's missing something.

If I want to take advantage of the body shop already having paint mixed, maybe I better bite the bullet and get the 2003-2006 LSE Grille w/the Chrome waterfall and have them paint the front surround blue now. (Or just get a stock '00-'06 LS grille, to give it some contrast).

Looks like I need a new grille with some chrome for contrast.

Leave the chrome around the side windows, maybe red or the dark grey from the interior on the brake calipers for color/contrast too.

Grilles for the Blue '02 Lincoln LS, please pick your favorite:

1) Original '02 LS Grille (Chrome top, Black waterfall)
2) '02 LS Grille (Blue color matched top, Black waterfall)
3) '03-'06 LS Grille (Chrome top and surround, Black waterfall)
4) '03-'06 LS Grille (Blue color matched top and surround, Black waterfall)
5) '03-'06 LSE Grille (Blue color matched top and surround, Chrome waterfall)

I am leaning towards #1, #3 and #5...

Grilles for the Blue '02 Lincoln LS, please pick your favorite:

1) Original '02 LS Grille (Chrome top, Black water fall)
2) '02 LS Grille (Blue color matched top, Black water fall)
3) '03-'06 LS Grille (Chrome top and surround, Black water fall)
4) '03-'06 LS Grille (Blue color matched top and surround, Black water fall)
5) '03-'06 LSE Grille (Blue color matched top and surround, Chrome water fall)

I am leaning towards #1, #3 and #5...

Number 5.

Painted Grille & Surround w/Chrome Waterfall insert.

What year(s) are the true 2 piece LSE grilles w/Chrome waterfall insert?

I assume 2003-2006, but some are not true 2 piece grilles... or so I have read on this site.

(The local Body Shop is going to order it directly from Ford/Lincoln to get their discount)

03-06LSEGrille.jpg

Painted Grille & Surround w/Chrome Water Fall insert.

What year(s) are the true 2 piece LSE grilles w/Chrome water fall insert?

I assume 2003-2006, but some are not true 2 piece grilles... or so I have read on this site.

(The local Body Shop is going to order it directly from Ford/Lincoln to get their discount)

What is it you really want to know? What are you trying to accomplish?

The local Ford dealership wanted a VIN# from a LSE car that had a Chrome Waterfall Grille, preferably one that had a 2 piece grill (if that is even an issue). Everything got confused when my car was an '02 and wanting a different grille.

I told them originally to just order a '03-'06 LSE grille in any cheap color, it would come with a complete surround with a Chrome Waterfall insert... and we would color match it to the '02 Blue. The Body Shop has no problem painting it.

Some people in LVC said that some Chrome Waterfall grilles did not come in a 2 piece grille.

Just trying to order the correct part the first time.

We printed the above picture, and the Body Shop will go to the Ford dealership, but if it's not in stock to look at, it might not help Ford to order it.

A correct Ford/Lincoln Part# or VIN# would clarify.

I again said just order a '03-'06 LSE grille in any color (just not the higher priced tri-colors etc that cost more for the paint).

Getting a 2 piece LSE grille is hit or miss. AFAIK, there's no way to specifically order a 2 piece.

I might not get this '03-'06 LSE grille in time for paint... so I may color match the top of the standard LS grille for now.

Question: How do you all feel about painting the front/rear/side valences to the body color, instead of having them black? One of the body guys mentioned it, and I had considered it too.

(I like seeing them both ways, but this is the time to paint them if I am going to do that).

I would also like to cut-out areas for exhaust tips, and I like the 2 tips per side look... but I don't have any to measure what width would be needed for the cut-out. I would think it would be best to cut-out now before paint. I could just do a 4" like Pektel and that would be nice too...

Kind of afraid to cut without having pipes ran yet...

Anyway, color matched valences? Yes/No?

Members online

No members online now.
Back