How to ruin a MINT Mark VIII

UltimateSVT

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Miami, FL(Home of the rust free MARK VIII's
I want opinions please. Set aside the fact that many of you have developed some sort of friendship with me here. Imagine this was you...

As many of you know, I use my Mark VIII's for work. All I get compensated for is fuel. My primary job is to provide clients w/moving estimates. Today while heading to an estimate the admin assistant sends me a text message with another estimate info. When I go to reach for my phone, the lady in front of me that was about to make a right turn decides to stop abruptly at a yellow light instead of turning so I hit her. The accident is MY FAULT & I KNOW IT however here's my question, should my employer be responsible for at least 50% of the damages being that it happened during company time, doing company work & attending to a company text! Remember, I drive the car because the company REQUIRES me to drive my own vehicle.

I would love to see your input!

By the way, here's the carnage:

397222_10150443049461891_679476890_8955675_250381431_n.jpg

398518_10150443138606891_679476890_8955950_703573500_n.jpg

373929_10150443675361891_679476890_8957492_958930419_n.jpg

374608_10150443624011891_679476890_8957330_1628818917_n.jpg

408884_10150443626461891_679476890_8957344_1930522715_n.jpg

Sucks for you man but I would have to say I think that it's all on you. I text and drive sometimes even though I know I shouldn't sometimes you just don't think about it. I don't see where the company would be responsible to cover any of the damage.

Easy one. Are there laws where you are dictating phones and driving. Even texting?

If you are not suppose to text (even though you were only reaching for phone, maybe not actually texting). Then you will doing something illegal and the company may not be obligated to back you up.

Also, is it in writing that you are to provide your own vehicle for company use?

Does the company pay insurance?

In short you may be screwed because of inattentive driving. Or the phone laws.

But it can not hurt to ask. And damn dude, sorry about the car. Sucks, I know it. Been there...

If ive said it once ive said it a million times especially in season here in south florida never ASSume someone is goingto turn just because of blinker or slowing. Sorry that blows

If ive said it once ive said it a million times especially in season here in south florida never ASSume someone is goingto turn just because of blinker or slowing. Sorry that blows

same in st louis. there really aren't any rules. street signs are only suggestions.

Yup thats all on you. If your insurance company (assuming full coverage) found out it happened while using the car for work and if it hasnt been insured to be used as a work vehicle then they will also deny the claim.

Sorry to hear about your car. Hope you get her back on the road soon.

Having driven in the Lou on a fairly regular basis,...... I`ve come to the conclusion, that only about 50% of the people can read. lol!

Well its not a law that you have to be able to read to get a dl. They make the test in many languages.

I would think unless your company has a policy that covers you for things like this, you're on your own. I do a lot of driving as well for work and had a issue a couple years ago. I was on the e-way and a railroad tie fell out of the truck in front of me. at the time my LS was lowered and well, I had to get towed home. My work didn't cover anything =(

Try to see if they'll pay for some of the damage, I mean you crashed b/c you went to get the phone and the text was work related. If they dont pay up then the hell with them just fix it out of your own pocket....but id start looking for another J.O.B soon, or another car to use for work. These Mark VIII's are not work cars man. Get yourself an impala or a little 4 banger.

I use the talk-to-text android feature while driving. Works extremely well. :hs:

Sorry for your loss dude. If you were in Houston I'd paint your new panels for ya. :-/

If it makes you feel anybetter, my car needs a new gas tank b/c its leaking fuel by the T that connects the hoses from the evap tray and I need a new driveshaft bc the one that was installed is 2 long. I dont understand why its 2 long. It looks like a one piece driveshaft arent both 93 and 97 driveshaft interchangable? Im about to set this car on fire or drive it off a cliff.

tbh i wouldn't even say anything, cause you might get into trouble with your job for using a phone and driving, idk. but i like the others highly doubt they will compensate you, you never know, they might.

Are you an employee or are you under contract?

I'm an employee under salary.

tbh i wouldn't even say anything, cause you might get into trouble with your job for using a phone and driving, idk. but i like the others highly doubt they will compensate you, you never know, they might.

THEY sent me the text message & I was heading to an estimate THEY recieved.

Yup thats all on you. If your insurance company (assuming full coverage) found out it happened while using the car for work and if it hasnt been insured to be used as a work vehicle then they will also deny the claim.

I'm very well aware of that & I'm crossing my fingers it doesn't happen. If it does, I'm directing her to my company.

In previous experiences of mine, if there is a lack of paperwork stating that your private vehicle is expected to be used for work as part of your daily routines then I wouldn't say a word to your insurance about the text being company related, they will not only deny in most cases they will probably drop you for the same issue or severely raise your rates. As for asking your company to eat some of this... as posted above, this is completely on you as your decision was to (no insult intended) be a distracted dumbass and choose to check or receive any form of wireless written communication while driving. In their defense, you were never instructed to put them in front of paying attention while driving. And unfortunately it doesn't matter if this was while on the clock or not. The bad decision was completely yours as you are aware, I don't know how your company feels about such situations but if your unsure their feelings of the same you may forget any notion of bringing it to there attention. Especially in a time when there are many people looking for jobs. (like mentioned above no intent to insult, just experience of previous situations.) Good luck but you know the outcome of the situation I think. Hope your insurance co. comes through!

In previous experiences of mine, if there is a lack of paperwork stating that your private vehicle is expected to be used for work as part of your daily routines then I wouldn't say a word to your insurance about the text being company related, they will not only deny in most cases they will probably drop you for the same issue or severely raise your rates. As for asking your company to eat some of this... as posted above, this is completely on you as your decision was to (no insult intended) be a distracted dumbass and choose to check or receive any form of wireless written communication while driving. In their defense, you were never instructed to put them in front of paying attention while driving. And unfortunately it doesn't matter if this was while on the clock or not. The bad decision was completely yours as you are aware, I don't know how your company feels about such situations but if your unsure their feelings of the same you may forget any notion of bringing it to there attention. Especially in a time when there are many people looking for jobs. (like mentioned above no intent to insult, just experience of previous situations.) Good luck but you know the outcome of the situation I think. Hope your insurance co. comes through!

I would have to agree with you 100% but did you know that the reason they went me the text was to tell me the address of where I was going? They themselves would tell me to answer the text's as soon as possible... but, the reason I asked if you guys thought they would respond financially is not reference this particular accident. They want nothing to do financially with any accidents, maintenance, wear & tear, etc... on my car. In the end, I have my own answer... It's 100% ON ME! I was too damn desperate for a job when I accepted the position & I had no idea it would be this way. They don't pay for tolls, valet parking in condo's I visit to provide estimates for the company (they don't have free visitor parking). In the end, I just need to start applying @ another job so I can leave this place before I completely destroy my cars.

Or buy a beater car...?

You banged your car up..fix it, move on your fault end of story you took this job so be it...you knew what you were getting into...if it is so crummy work it and apply for other jobs but once again should have bought a beater

Isn't that how women get there DL.

iwas i the dmv here last year for renewal, every person had to go over to the little computer station, get 15 correct of 20 on street signs, and do the eye test.a few were denied. i was done the lady behind me was under 5' tall could barely walk looked VERY old, was there to change her address. they told her she was due for renewal in 2 months,would she like to take care of it. she says yes while shes confirming her info i overhear she born in 1907! she tells her ok go stand next to to me to wait for new license, I say hey, no quiz? not even an EYE CHECK! for God sake shes 104! i was told to mind my own business at this point 10 people are in an uproar this 50 year old had to take another road test required at some point i think every 25 yrs or something and she was mad. UNBELIEVABLE! to make things even more ridiculous shes driving an o.jsimpson stlye bronco she can barely get in or see over the wheel. be careful out there.:eek:

Members online

No members online now.
Back