HID HELL! What to do now?

ripped camel

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So I've got the HID's installed with DLF's adapter (which worked great btw), however I'm lost as to what to do with the other wire?

There's a total of 4 wires. Two coming from the bulb that go to the ballast. Then there is another plug with 2 wires coming from the ballast that is supposed to connect to the car. Where is this supposed to connect? There is no plug on the factory ballast, it's just a bunch of wires going into the factory ballast. Am I supposed to cut those and splice those into the new ballast?

Which wires should I be cutting?

My aftermarket ballast has a blue wire and black wire coming from it, what goes to what?

I have no headlights and haven't had any for a week now. I'd love to be able to drive my car at night again so any help would be awesome.

LOL, Everything is such a big damn drama with you! :eek:

Read THIS.

In the second post I also linked to another thread over on LOD showing what I did on my car.

The factory ballasts plug into the wiring harness at the bottom of the radiator support in front of the radiator.

You need to make up two new harnesses to connect the new ballasts to where the factory ballasts plugged in.

I cut the connectors from my factory ballasts (about 6" from the ballasts) to use them to make the new harnesses. It's best to solder and shrink wrap the connections. The color coding is shown in my pics.

LOL, Everything is such a big damn drama with you! :eek:

Read THIS.

In the second post I also linked to another thread over on LOD showing what I did on my car.

The factory ballasts plug into the wiring harness at the bottom of the radiator support in front of the radiator.

You need to make up two new harnesses to connect the new ballasts to where the factory ballasts plugged in.

I cut the connectors from my factory ballasts (about 6" from the ballasts) to use them to make the new harnesses. It's best to solder and shrink wrap the connections. The color coding is shown in my pics.

Drama is my middle name :D ...more appropriately my buddies all call me Drama back home and say Johnny Drama from entourage reminds them all of me...hence the name Drama. Everyone thinks I look a lot like him too, minus the whole balding thing.

Anyway... I followed that other thread somewhat. I've spliced in the first one which was the red/black wire coming from the oem ballast going into the radiator core support harness to the right.

The connection on the left has a female plug but no male plug anymore. I can't find where the male plug on the left went. Was the male plug from that coming from the PS HID light? Or was it from the OEM ballast too? If it's from the HID which color goes to blue and which to black?

That's where I'm confused.

Trace the wires from the factory ballasts to where they connect to the wiring harness at the bottom of the radiator.

And TRY READING the last two posts in the thread I linked, your answer about the wiring colors is there. :p

I know there is a joke in there some where. Gimmie some time, ill get one.

"How many Ripped Camels does it take to screw in a light bulb? .........." now to work on teh rest. :p

Right, I did that and it worked for the drivers side. But there is no red/black wire on the passenger side. There's another female plug over there, but there is no red/black wire on that side. There isn't even a plug going into it.

That's why I was asking where the male plug on the pass side was coming from?

On the drivers side (that I got working) I traced that wire back to the oem ballast. But there was no other wire coming from there, so where is the other male plug? Is it from the other oem HID? Did the OEM pass HID plug directly into the harness on the radiator core support?

Right, I did that and it worked for the drivers side. But there is no red/black wire on the passenger side. There's another female plug over there, but there is no red/black wire on that side. There isn't even a plug going into it.

That's why I was asking where the male plug on the pass side was coming from?

On the drivers side (that I got working) I traced that wire back to the oem ballast. But there was no other wire coming from there, so where is the other male plug? Is it from the other oem HID? Did the OEM pass HID plug directly into the harness on the radiator core support?

Jesus....

Each factory ballast has 2 two wire leads coming out of it. One lead goes to the factory HID bulb and the other lead plugs into the wiring harness in front of the radiator.

If your headlights were working before you started, then both ballasts HAVE to plug (or be wired) into the stock wiring harness somewhere. In my car, they both plugged into the wiring harness in front of the radiator. The plugs are not in the same place, one is on the left, the other on the right.

What you are trying to accomplish is to wire the new ballasts into the same plugs that the factory ballasts originally plugged into, so find the two places that the factory ballasts connect to the harness. And stop saying that it isn't there, it has to be unless both of your headlights didn't work before you started.

Right, I did that and it worked for the drivers side. But there is no red/black wire on the passenger side. There's another female plug over there, but there is no red/black wire on that side.

Did the OEM pass HID plug directly into the harness on the radiator core support? LOL, NO

The red/black wire and the connector is on the factory ballast.

Then something was wired wrong on my car because there are two sets of wires coming out of my oem ballast. One set is 1 red/ 1black with a male plug. The other set is 1 yellow/ 1 black female plug. That's it. This is coming from the ballast on the passenger side of the car. Is there another ballast I'm missing? or are both factory ballasts mounted together?

Keep in mind I have no access to a lift, or even a jack right now so I don't get a spectacular view from the top.

Did both of your headlights work before you started this? I'm assuming that they did, because you didn't say otherwise.

Unless your car is missing one, there are two factory ballasts. One for each side. That's the wiring for one ballast. The other ballast is mounted in the same place and has the same wiring. They're mounted piggy-back, one on top of the other.

If you had followed the original wiring from the stock HID bulbs to the stock ballasts, it would have been obvious that there were two of them.

If you don't have the proper conditions to work on a project, don't start it! I'm really tired of hearing that you don't have a lift.

I'm done, you shouldn't work on your car anymore, you simply don't have the talent for it.

Did both of your headlights work before you started this? I'm assuming that they did, because you didn't say otherwise.

Unless your car is missing one, there are two factory ballasts. One for each side. That's the wiring for one ballast. The other ballast is mounted in the same place and has the same wiring. They're mounted piggy-back, one on top of the other.

If you had followed the original wiring from the stock HID bulbs to the stock ballasts, it would have been obvious that there were two of them.

If you don't have the proper conditions to work on a project, don't start it! I'm really tired of hearing that you don't have a lift.

I'm done, you shouldn't work on your car anymore, you simply don't have the talent for it.

Read on the post above you :D

DLF is right. Connect to the box by the rad support. its actually called the ignitor not the ballast on the factory bulb the box on the bulb is the ballast. This is an old hid design. The hid just have one box for the ballast and ignitor.

DLF is right. Connect to the box by the rad support. its actually called the ignitor not the ballast on the factory bulb the box on the bulb is the ballast. This is an old hid design. The hid just have one box for the ballast and ignitor.

Thanks. I got it already though. :)

Members online

Back